• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1993 BMY M923A2 from Fort Jackson SC

saddamsnightmare

May 22nd, 2014.

Vandrel:

You may not want to use the M923 for your CDL course vehicle as most inspectors will gig it for non compliance on several issues as regards differences with a civilian truck of similar size. You will also want to familiarize yourself with the pre-trip operators inspections, as it is a fairly intense regimen. I am glad you survived the blow out in good shape, but now you probably know that you were driving out of class and risked some major fines should a DOT inspector have gotten to you while in transit.
If the M923's have the automatic transmission, and I believe they do, do not lock up the brakes in a panic stop, it will kill the engine, the power steering all at the same tire, making the truck almost uncontrollable. Apparently Uncle was not fond of these trucks with ABS, so he's dumping them out. At least the M35 series were a little simpler, but no less dangerous in an accident if not maintained and operated with sanity.
Good luck, your insurance on the animal will make whatever I paid on the old deuce look like chicken feed, but with size goes costs.:-(

Vandrel

Luckily the place around the corner from my shop accepts the GI Bill which will help save me about $5,000.

I was digging through my old papers to locate my military licenses to see if any were still valid but sadly they weren't and FL says it'd only be accepted If I was recently separated, I'm about 5 years late on that one :)

Last edited:

Vandrel

Purchased another batch of tires for the truck this week. Winning bid from Fort Hooks TX on a set of 6 new tires on MRAP rims. Have 4 in the shop already getting mounted tomorrow and will now have a nice stack of spares to sit on for rainy days.

tires.jpgtires2.jpgtires3.jpg

Vandrel

10505578_930862366940499_78842275307545898_n.jpg10424387_931070933586309_4224290173438245036_n.jpg

This past weekend my wife and I drove back up to Fort Jackson and picked up a 1998 M1102 and hauled it back to Florida. Should go nicely with the M923.

Vandrel

Interesting fact I noticed today, the unit markings on both the trailer and truck I got from Fort Jackson almost 3 months apart show both of them are from the same unit. Guess I can claim I have a matching set minus the paint.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks