• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1994 M1123 won’t start. Please help!

MrLucky7137

Hello everyone thank you for adding me. My M1123 cranks just fine but won’t start. I have 2 good batteries, I’ve replaced all of the glow plugs, cleaned and replaced the fuel filter and the air filter, I did try a little bit of either just to see if it would fire and it sure wanted to. The fuel injection pump is only getting 4.9 volts to the A wire on top. I have cleaned and tightened every battery connection and ground I can find. Thank you

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You need 24V to wire 54A, check the voltage on 5A at the gen. with the switch in run there should be 24V there, if not it may be a bad EESS

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Every wire has an aluminum tag on it, the one going to the fuel solenoid on the IP is 54A, the one that excites the alternator is 5A, just look for the tag numbers.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
This would be a good time to welcome you to SS, and suggest it is a good idea download and learn how to use the TMs they are all here to download for free.
There are allot of folk's here that are willing and able to jump in and help but the sooner you come up to speed on the TMs the easier it will be for you to understand your HMMWV.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have never seen more than 1 or 2 missing tags on ANY military vehicle I have looked at, look again they are small aluminum tags, looks like something that would be on a pigeons leg for identification, I am looking for a pic but I will bet they are there.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Something like this..
wire tags.jpg
Every wire on a HMMWV has a tag, with the possible exception of added accessories

Last edited:
Reactions: OBX

MarkM

CODE BROWN...It's all going to sh~t !
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You really should not use ether on the Hmmwv motors. It will work but you will be playing with fire.

Mark

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
A diesel has no ignition system, it fires on compression and fuel, work on getting fuel to the injectors first.
The tags are readable unless it has been submerged in salt water for a long time, if it is in such bad shape you cannot read the wire tag numbers you are in deep do do...
Wire 5a is at the gen as I said before, big kinda round thing on the drivers side of the engine.
Try carefully cleaning the wire tags with a tooth brush and a little WD40, the numbers are there...

jkcondrey

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Do you have fuel coming up? While cranking open the fuel filter drain located on the driver fender well. It should flow pretty good with a working pump. Follow the fuel hose leaving the bottom of the filter to its terminus. Should have a little elbow valve on it.

MrLucky7137

A diesel has no ignition system, it fires on compression and fuel, work on getting fuel to the injectors first.
The tags are readable unless it has been submerged in salt water for a long time, if it is in such bad shape you cannot read the wire tag numbers you are in deep do do...
Wire 5a is at the gen as I said before, big kinda round thing on the drivers side of the engine.
Try carefully cleaning the wire tags with a tooth brush and a little WD40, the numbers are there...
you are correct. I was referring to the glow plugs at least I know they are getting hot 👍

MrLucky7137

Do you have fuel coming up? While cranking open the fuel filter drain located on the driver fender well. It should flow pretty good with a working pump. Follow the fuel hose leaving the bottom of the filter to its terminus. Should have a little elbow valve on it.
i do have fuel coming from the pump on the motor for sure. I’m positive im getting fuel to the injection pump just not to the injectors.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
you are correct. I was referring to the glow plugs at least I know they are getting hot 👍
No you do not, that engine will fire off of ether without the glow plugs, you said you replaced the glow plugs, a simple volt meter test will tell you if you arre getting power to the glow plugs and if the PCB is cycling them correctly.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks