• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1995 1078 NOS ctis inflating tires to 80psi and flashing over speed at 30mph

Ned81

So I finally got a new ctis controller. The one that came with the truck had 5 solid lights. The new one seemed to be working. All tires deflate and inflate correctly accept all of the pressures are too high. Hwy is 80psi xct is 55. At first I thought the previous owner changed the pressure transducer on the manifold for higher pressure but then I drove it and over speed started flashing at 30mph. I’m wondering if the controller I got is for a different truck.
The truck drives fine. Shifts well and the speedometer is dead on compared to gps.
I’m happy with the pressures but I gotta figure out the over speed problem. Any help is appreciated

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
from 2010....

Ronmar

What are the tires inflated to when you get the overspeed? Different vehicles used different pressure set controllers. If this controller was for a newer truck, not sure how it gets it’s speed info. Couple of variables that you need the exact controller and sub harness combination to satisfy…

Ronmar

from 2010....

It is also dead easy to make a 3 switch controller to still allow you to manually control and check the tire pressure at will from the drivers seat…

Ned81

What are the tires inflated to when you get the overspeed? Different vehicles used different pressure set controllers. If this controller was for a newer truck, not sure how it gets it’s speed info. Couple of variables that you need the exact controller and sub harness combination to satisfy…
80psi. The controller seems to work properly as far as inflating and deflating. The pressures are higher than they should be for hwy and xc and the overspeed problem. A guy on Facebook said the controller could be reprogrammed. He seems to work at Acela. He said the A0 can use any controller. The A1 needs the black one. I saw your post with the manual controller and I was thinking g of attempting it but I was given this new controller as a gift and I’d like to get it working if possible.
I was pleasantly surprised with the pressures I was getting if I could just figure out the over speed it would be perfect. I’m thinking of getting the controller over speed re-programmed to 99 mph for each setting which I believe is the highest you can go

coachgeo

black controller you ended up with may have came from a MTV intended for heavier hauling... think they had higher settings.... thus why yours pressures are different. Most people prefer this for overlanding as 80 is a better highway pressure

Yes you can get it re-programed.... Honestly dont recall if overspeed does anything more that just flash a light at you. If it does nothing more than flash a light then just paint a black dot over the overspeed light so it does not bother you.

Ned81

black controller you ended up with may have came from a MTV intended for heavier hauling... think they had higher settings.... thus why yours pressures are different. Most people prefer this for overlanding as 80 is a better highway pressure

Yes you can get it re-programed.... Honestly dont recall if overspeed does anything more that just flash a light at you. If it does nothing more than flash a light then just paint a black dot over the overspeed light so it does not bother you.
Taking out the bulb was my first thought. Lol. I read in the tm overspeed for 2 minutes will cause it to automatically inflate to the next highest setting. Not a problem in hwy mode but and lower modes could be an issue.

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter

On my truck it sounds the electric horn in front of the pass side steer tire as well !

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
When ifirst got my truck i drove it home and the ctis cable is not hooked up to the controller so the next trip i take days later with that cable hooked up every time i got above 30 the horn starts blowing and its a state route speed limits fifty so for miles i had to drive with the horn whaleing away and people waving from their front yards like i was blowing it for them and it got very funny as the trip went on to where i could pull off and unplug the horn because i hadnt put 2 and 2 togeather yet what was causing it ! And its still unpluged !

Ronmar

So you have a black controller?

The A0 used pulse info from the speed sensor same as the speedometer. The newer trucks with the digital/integrated dash generate speed info in the trans controller and distribute it on the data bus. Depending on what controller you are trying in which truck could be the reason behind the overspeed sense in the new controller not being happy with its input…

Ned81

So you have a black controller?

The A0 used pulse info from the speed sensor same as the speedometer. The newer trucks with the digital/integrated dash generate speed info in the trans controller and distribute it on the data bus. Depending on what controller you are trying in which truck could be the reason behind the overspeed sense in the new controller not being happy with its input…
Do you think a reprogramming will allow me to use it or should I go a different rout?

Ronmar

Do you think a reprogramming will allow me to use it or should I go a different rout?

Couldn’t tell you if it will work or not after a reprogram. There were different harnesses and I believe they determine how the controller behaves In different vehicles. You also could be fighting a second problem. Was this an auction truck? Not uncommon to pile all the bad parts on/strip good parts off of the truck headed for excess/auction…

The speedo is happy with the signal, so it might be a connection issue between speedo and controller(speed signal goes to speedometer connector then branches off there to the ctis controller) do you have a good ground connection? There is a ring connector ground that goes on the bottom controller mount bolt is that in place? It could be the speed signal is good enough for the speedometer but is insufficient for the controller. It could be that the speedo is loading or adding some noise to the signal which the controller is not happy with(disconnect speedo connection and see if it still trips at 30MPH).

oh and you don’t have to pull the overspeed lights out of the display, just remove relay K52. It’s sole purpose is to control the power that the controller switches to drive that indicator light, and disable it when the light switch is in blackout mode:)

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
When ifirst got my truck i drove it home and the ctis cable is not hooked up to the controller so the next trip i take days later with that cable hooked up every time i got above 30 the horn starts blowing and its a state route speed limits fifty so for miles i had to drive with the horn whaleing away and people waving from their front yards like i was blowing it for them and it got very funny as the trip went on to where i could pull off and unplug the horn because i hadnt put 2 and 2 togeather yet what was causing it ! And its still unpluged !
My horn upgrade to fix my M1088 might be more exciting if the OverSpeed kicked in.
Truck sounded like the old Plymouth Superbird - with that puny MeepMeep horn.

My solution was an air horn with an electric solenoid. Disconnected the toy horn, used a spade connector, and ran a new wire out back behind the air tanks. Bolted it in under the catwalk. MUCH fun when the kids standing by the road wave. Light toot creates a lot of smiles :)

Air Horn 837_Cannon_Ball_Express.jpg

Too bad I didn't know I could buy the same thing in basic black. A little Acetone on a rag and some matte black paint solved the problem... :-(

I couldn't imagine how much (Not!) fun it might be if it was that air horn was going off!

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My horn upgrade to fix my M1088 might be more exciting if the OverSpeed kicked in.
Truck sounded like the old Plymouth Superbird - with that puny MeepMeep horn.

My solution was an air horn with an electric solenoid. Disconnected the toy horn, used a spade connector, and ran a new wire out back behind the air tanks. Bolted it in under the catwalk. MUCH fun when the kids standing by the road wave. Light toot creates a lot of smiles :)

View attachment 853368

Too bad I didn't know I could buy the same thing in basic black. A little Acetone on a rag and some matte black paint solved the problem... :-(

I couldn't imagine how much (Not!) fun it might be if it was that air horn was going off!
Yea you probably made a few kids pump chunky monkey in their pants so now theres a bunch of pissed mothers picketing the local national guard armory

Ned81

Couldn’t tell you if it will work or not after a reprogram. There were different harnesses and I believe they determine how the controller behaves In different vehicles. You also could be fighting a second problem. Was this an auction truck? Not uncommon to pile all the bad parts on/strip good parts off of the truck headed for excess/auction…

The speedo is happy with the signal, so it might be a connection issue between speedo and controller(speed signal goes to speedometer connector then branches off there to the ctis controller) do you have a good ground connection? There is a ring connector ground that goes on the bottom controller mount bolt is that in place? It could be the speed signal is good enough for the speedometer but is insufficient for the controller. It could be that the speedo is loading or adding some noise to the signal which the controller is not happy with(disconnect speedo connection and see if it still trips at 30MPH).

oh and you don’t have to pull the overspeed lights out of the display, just remove relay K52. It’s sole purpose is to control the power that the controller switches to drive that indicator light, and disable it when the light switch is in blackout mode:)
It was an auction truck at one time though I bought it from an individual. The ground ring is there and making a good connection. Where is a good place to disconnect the speedo?

Thanks for the tip about k52!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks