• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1999 CUCV II Tahoe

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't remember seeing a pic of the front grill. Is the NATO plug still there? What about the B/O lights?

Evil Dr. Porkchop

Supporting Vendor
I don't remember seeing a pic of the front grill. Is the NATO plug still there? What about the B/O lights?
The NATO plug is there, but its not getting any power to it. The B/O lights are there, they all work except for the passenger side front. The passenger headlight and brake/turn/reverse lights are out as well.

Evil Dr. Porkchop

Supporting Vendor
So I got to the converter to check the voltages. With the key on, the converter is putting out 28v, and the voltmeter goes up to the tick. There is also 28v at the block labeled 24v next to the fuse block. I imagine finding a 24v starter for a 350 will be difficult.

IMG_0145.jpg

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sounds like you just need to find a 24v Vortec 350 starter, change a few battery cables around and you will be set.

Looking at the 12v and 24v circuit breakers of the driver fender, you might want to replace them and put some NO-OX on them. I need to do the same.

Skinny

Cool find!

On the list of things to do I would"
-check for a leak on the central port fuel injection spider or just replace for peace of mind
-change intake gaskets
-clean MAF
-replace distributor drive gear
-consider changing the timing chain

dstang97

I'm glad that went to a SS. I was going to bid on it but I have enough stuff. What was the final purchase price.

Vhyle

Cool find!

-check for a leak on the central port fuel injection spider or just replace for peace of mind
-change intake gaskets
-clean MAF
Big +1. Necessary tasks on a late-model 350, in my opinion. Especially the intake gaskets and FI spider, which are very common issues for these engines.

Evil Dr. Porkchop

Supporting Vendor
Cool find!

-change intake gaskets
-clean MAF
Thanks for the info, I hope to have it running by the end of the weekend.

I'm glad that went to a SS. I was going to bid on it but I have enough stuff. What was the final purchase price.
Here is the auction link. http://www.govliquidation.com/auction/view?auctionId=5855940

Skinny

Not sure if the older rigs have this problem but had a 1500 pickup in the shop with a broken link which holds the torsion bar crossmember in. A quick googling shows it is a common problem as well.

Good luck with your new ride!

Skinny

Big +1. Necessary tasks on a late-model 350, in my opinion. Especially the intake gaskets and FI spider, which are very common issues for these engines.
I don't get a large quantity of cars in my shop, I teach a voc program, but seems like every Chevy thats comes in with a 4.3, 5.0, or 5.7 CPI have these problems. I love the old TBI engines, hate the newer Vortecs for these reasons. I am liking the newer 4.8/5.3/6.0 everyday over the older ones. I think once you address some of those major wear items, the CPI engines have some potential. If someone could just explain to me why it has three post cat oxygen sensors I would be a happy camper :)

Cool find!

-change intake gaskets
-clean MAF
CPI to MFPI fuel injectors

Lower intake manifold is the one to check.

I hope you aren't replacing the fuel pump with an Airtech or similar aftermarket pump.

Skinny

I know that the injector conversion exists but so far no one wants to pony up the few extra bucks to upgrade. Plus NAPA sells the spider assembly dirt cheap now so most go the low buck path. Never like the CPI design.

I try to get all genuine AC Delco from RockAuto but you probably know the story...everyone needs it fixed cheap and done yesterday.

Thank you for specifying lower intake gaskets, I didn't specify.

I know that the injector conversion exists but so far no one wants to pony up the few extra bucks to upgrade. Plus NAPA sells the spider assembly dirt cheap now so most go the low buck path. Never like the CPI design.

I try to get all genuine AC Delco from RockAuto but you probably know the story...everyone needs it fixed cheap and done yesterday.

Thank you for specifying lower intake gaskets, I didn't specify.
You can get the MFPI for around $210 re-manufactured and 250 new on the net

Hey, more money for you when you have to replace the cheap fuel pumps.

Evil Dr. Porkchop

Supporting Vendor
The fuel pump showed up yesterday, so today we changed the filter and installed the tank. The old pump probably burned up because it was a four-door pump which is too short for the tank on a two-door model. The truck starts right up, runs and drives great. No dash warning lights on either. We also put in a headlight and changed out the right tail lamp assembly so now all the lights work too. :driver:

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Great news!!!

Let me know when you want to tackle the 24v stuff.