• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1999 M1097 4 speed 6.5L seized motor

4x4nutz

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The TM does not cover this well for me, so I need y'all's help. 6.5 Optimizer, New batteries, new starter...Motor turns just enough to make the fan blade move an inch every time I start it, but won't go any further than an inch. Will turning the motor by hand for a while help to un freeze it? What is the best way to turn it without taking a bunch of stuff apart? Thank you!!!!!!

Attachments

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Crawl under it with a 1" open end wrench, there are some flats on the lower pulley that the wrench will grab onto, see if you can turn it by hand, if not pull the glow plugs and try again, do not hit the starter again until you can make more than 2 full crankshaft turns by hand, if there was liquid in the cylinders then crank it with the glow plugs out.
Remember the crank turns clockwise looking from the front of the vehicle, never a good idea to turn one backwards.
How did the oil look when you changed it?

MarkM

CODE BROWN...It's all going to sh~t !
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There was no water in the oil? It's either liquid locked or something bad happened inside the motor. Doubt the starter is bad but possible. With the suggestions from others you should be able to ascertain what is wrong.

Mark

4x4nutz

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Turning over really nice...good pressure coming out of the tail pipe, just won't ignite. Glow plug control box and wait light seem to be working. Used a little starting fluid and still nothing. Not even a stutter...it's in the 80's so it's not cold.

87cr250r

The engine will start without glow plugs at 80F after about 30 seconds of cranking.

But, you're not getting any white smoke out the exhaust? That means no fuel.

Disconnect shutdown solenoid wire.

Open the valve on the top of the filter housing and crank until you have fuel coming out.

Reconnect shutdown wire and verify power to shutdown solenoid with ignition in run position.

Crack lines at a few injectors and crank until fuel sprays from line. You may have to lift the line away from the injector (nut still in place) and hold it that way to break the seal a bit. If you're going to start with glow plugs 3 or 4 cylinders will get it going but I suggest priming all 8 if you're going to start without.

Verify glow plug operation with your volt meter. You should see a substantial drop in battery voltage during a glow plug cycle (2+ volts).

If you want to test glow plugs, unplug them all and touch your ohmmeter between the terminal and engine block. They should all read a low value.

4x4nutz

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The engine will start without glow plugs at 80F after about 30 seconds of cranking.

But, you're not getting any white smoke out the exhaust? That means no fuel.

Disconnect shutdown solenoid wire.

Open the valve on the top of the filter housing and crank until you have fuel coming out.

Reconnect shutdown wire and verify power to shutdown solenoid with ignition in run position.

Crack lines at a few injectors and crank until fuel sprays from line. You may have to lift the line away from the injector (nut still in place) and hold it that way to break the seal a bit. If you're going to start with glow plugs 3 or 4 cylinders will get it going but I suggest priming all 8 if you're going to start without.

Verify glow plug operation with your volt meter. You should see a substantial drop in battery voltage during a glow plug cycle (2+ volts).

If you want to test glow plugs, unplug them all and touch your ohmmeter between the terminal and engine block. They should all read a low value.
No white smoke. Using the starting fluid should have made the motor kick even if the motor wasn't getting fuel. Yes, the fuel pump is working and fuel was coming out the bleeder valve. I guess at this temp the plugs are not working or creating enough heat to ignite the fuel. Thank you...going to test the plugs later today.

MarkM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You don't need the glow plugs above 70 to start the engine. I was starting mine down to 60ish with effort without the glow plugs functioning. While cranking loosen the fuel line to the injector to see if there is fuel pressure. At that temp and no white smoke I doubt you are getting fuel to the injectors.

Mark

MarkM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The rings may have rusted to the cylinder walls and sometimes you can get lucky and free it up. Have personally seen it go both ways.

Mark

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You might be water locked or fuel locked or oil locked. Trying to force your engine to turn against a noncompressible liquid in the cylinder will bend and break pistons and rods.

Someone made the suggestion that you should remove your glow plugs. That is an outstanding suggestion. Then you will be able to turn over the engine and see if the radiator fluid comes out or if fuel comes out or if oil comes out of the glow plug holes. That will also help you diagnose the problem.

I would also strongly consider spraying marvel mystery oil down each glow plug hole and fill each glow plug hole and then let it sit for 24 hours.

I strongly suspect you have fluid of some sort in your cylinders and attempts to spin the engine against that will create hydrostatic pressure that will bend or break your rods and pistons.

TOBASH

4x4nutz

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You might be water locked or fuel locked or oil locked. Trying to force your engine to turn against a noncompressible liquid in the cylinder will bend and break pistons and rods.

Someone made the suggestion that you should remove your glow plugs. That is an outstanding suggestion. Then you will be able to turn over the engine and see if the radiator fluid comes out or if fuel comes out or if oil comes out of the glow plug holes. That will also help you diagnose the problem.

I would also strongly consider spraying marvel mystery oil down each glow plug hole and fill each glow plug hole and then let it sit for 24 hours.

I strongly suspect you have fluid of some sort in your cylinders and attempts to spin the engine against that will create hydrostatic pressure that will bend or break your rods and pistons.

TOBASH
I was told the same thing by someone on another site...pull the plugs and mix some Marvel and ATF 50/50 and fill those holes up!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks