• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1999 M1097 4 speed 6.5L seized motor

MarkM

CODE BROWN...It's all going to sh~t !
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The marvel trick has been used for 100 years. Great stuff and it does work.

I had an old 283 chevy boat motor that I bought locked. Pulled the plugs and squirted in some Mavel oil then let it sit for a couple days.

Came up with my own little trick. Took a remote cabled start button and kept tapping it on my knee to shock the system via the starter and after about a min of this she broke free. Never had an issue with that motor after that. Used that trick a few time over the years.

Mark

4x4nutz

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Okay...we pulled the glow plugs (three of them broke off due to swelling) and filled each hole up each with 50/50 Marvel oil and AFT. Do I need to attempt to extract the broken plug ends before I try and turn this over? If so, what is the best way to get those MF's out?

4x4nutz

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Pull the injectors, put the piston at top dead center, tap the glow plug into the pre-chamber, grab with pliers.
Just gunna ask...what happens if the I can't get the broken piece out of the pre chamber (cylinder #2)? My mech friend at Fort Sam says it won't hurt anything...

MarkM

CODE BROWN...It's all going to sh~t !
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I dug mine out and depending on which cylinder it is it back be a bear to get in there. I used a cotton ball I stuffed into the injector hole then pushed it under the broken tip. When I tapped the tip in from the outside the cotton captured it. I then used a custom bent long needle nose pliers to fish it out. An inexpensive wifi borescope camera makes all of this much easier.

Mark

20211108150957.jpg

20211106165448.jpg

20211106171410.jpg

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Pull the injectors, put the piston at top dead center, tap the glow plug into the pre-chamber, grab with pliers.
The engine is seized
Just gunna ask...what happens if the I can't get the broken piece out of the pre chamber (cylinder #2)? My mech friend at Fort Sam says it won't hurt anything...
It is all a crap shoot, sometimes it falls directly into the cylinder (the cotton is a good idea) the guy at FT Sam does not have to pay if it trashes the cylinder.
Having said that there have been some that passed out the exhaust without doing major damage, A few have dissembled engines that showed signs that foreign material has passed through the cylinder without doing major damage, some engines get trashed.
Some just stay in the prechamber
I would not bother until you get the engine free

4x4nutz

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The engine is seized

It is all a crap shoot, sometimes it falls directly into the cylinder (the cotton is a good idea) the guy at FT Sam does not have to pay if it trashes the cylinder.
Having said that there have been some that passed out the exhaust without doing major damage, A few have dissembled engines that showed signs that foreign material has passed through the cylinder without doing major damage, some engines get trashed.
Some just stay in the prechamber
I would not bother until you get the engine free
Thank you. The engine is no longer seized. Turning over very well now. Just need to put the new plugs in (but first get the broken electrode part out of cylinder #2).

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks