• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1st Deuce Project Begins

jclaudii

Hey Mill, This is my first post and I think your truck looks amazing so far and the time and patience it takes to do a job like that is hard to find! I wish you all the luck in getting it fixed up for the July date, because after baby comes, time is one of those things that is hard to find (I got a 16mo and a 3 mo and a pile of lumber on my trailer for a deck I can't seem to find time to build). You seem to have a bit more time than me, but it's awesome to have the flexibility to watch your little one those first few months!

May I make a suggestion...When you get ready to go to the Jeep show, see if you can find a way to put the Wrangler in the back! That would be a really cool way to transport it there.

Also, I always wonder if anyone ever does sound deadening and/or insulation on the rebuild to make things a bit more pleasant in the cabin?

You going to leave both rears under it?

StoneMill

Its getting there... A few more things to paint. Had to pull the radiator out today to get it fixed. My window glass is done so I need to go pick it up and install it. Bed needs done yet along with the rest of the wheels. But, it moves under it's own power. :-D
What do you all think so far???

Attachments

StoneMill

Working at getting some seat cushions made up. Found some high density foam at a car show flea market. Went back to buy some and the guy was sold out. Have to find something else. Looking at duck canvas or marine vinyl in black. Not sure yet.

rwbrown72

Working at getting some seat cushions made up. Found some high density foam at a car show flea market. Went back to buy some and the guy was sold out. Have to find something else. Looking at duck canvas or marine vinyl in black. Not sure yet.
Cool... I bought some Duck Canvas at my local Walmart of all places. Not sure if it is the same weight as the military stuff, but we shall soon see. Post up when you get your done.

StoneMill

May I make a suggestion...When you get ready to go to the Jeep show, see if you can find a way to put the Wrangler in the back! That would be a really cool way to transport it there.

You going to leave both rears under it?
Leaving both rears in place. Love to have a bobbed truck, but Im waiting for a 5 ton to do that.
I'm considering putting my girls green wrangler in the back of the deuce for the show. Wonder if they'll let me run the obstacle course with it strapped down in the back. :confused::-D:-D:-D

StoneMill

Still moving along. Got the radiator back in now that it has been fixed. Started on the windshields. The hood is in place. Just some finishing touches up front. Hopefully we can get the bed painted this week. I think it's looking real good.
Had some nasty thunderstorms that made our creek rise out of the banks and flooded the yard. Which sucks because my bed is now sitting above some really soft ground. Hopefully we can get the a frame stable enough to lift it onto the trailer for painting.
I'll get some new pics up tomorrow.

Green_gator

Stone,
That is a great looking vehicle, I like the green and black contrasts. I am not a huge fan of the batteries under the seat after the ones in my HMMWV overcharged and made life interesting. That said, your set up has me rethinking moving mine. I have some military issue OD green cordura nylon laying around. If you want some for your seats let me know and it is yours. The roll is 60" wide and as long as you need.

StoneMill

Thanks for the compliments. Green cordura would be perfect. I was thinking vinyl or canvas, not sure why I didn't think of cordura. That stuff takes abuse pretty good. I'll get some measurements tomorrow and see what I would need.

The battery box took a little time for us to figure out. But with the venting and basically sealed otherwise, I think it'll work out. I added some rubber inside to cover them up and prevent any accidental shorts. I was thinking about rigging a computer fan with a switch to my vent. Don't know that'll I'll need it though.

Varyag

Just a tip for the Herc Liner. When we did my fj40 cab we used a big paint brush and dabbed it on. It looks 100 times better. I tossed that crappy foam roller in the trash.

StoneMill

Here are some quick shots after finally getting done flushing the radiator and block. Starting to come together. Looks like the back yard is dry enough to get the bed up on the trailer and start painting tomorrow.
Got to get this thing done so we can paint my father in laws '94 YJ to match in 3 weeks.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks