• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

2.5 ton rockwell how much can it take?

Ryan123

I was wondering if anyone knew how much abuse the 2.5 tons can take? The reason I am asking is I am heavily considering swapping my deuce multifuel out with a 6v92TAB with twin turbos and large injectors. It will produce around 500+ horse at 2100 RPM and I'm guessing about 1300-1500 ft lbs of torque. Has anyone blown one up with 6bt? or something similar? Or are there any spec sheets out there with exact specs?

The ultimate plan is to make a very nice camper set up and towing unit for a do it all truck. I just cant break down and spend 60 grand on a pickup!

I have a lot of experience with two stroke detroit diesels that is why I would put one in rather than any other motor.

Thanks guys!

Ryan

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
..................... I just cant break down and spend 60 grand on a pickup! ...............................................
No, but you will spend more than that, replacing every part (not only the T-Case) if you ever let that motor put out its 1000+ ft-lb of torque!

I would even think twice before putting that beast in a M939 series 5-ton.

G.

Ryan123

found this on another thread didnt want to advertise that forum here but im sure you can all guess

"The 2 1/2 ton U joint style, max. static load is 3,600 foot lbs. of torque. The convel model "E" used in the 2 1/2 ton is 4,310 foot lbs. of torque. The rezepa is estimated 10% to 15% weaker than the U joint style. Just for grins the dana 60 - 1480 in the [COLOR=#00FF00 !important]steering[/COLOR] axle is 2,000 foot lbs. of torque. I like BIG stuff. steve differential eng.

Ryan123

apparently the 2.5 ton axle can hold 12000 pounds from some searching dunno if that is true or not but they do say the deuce can haul 5 tons on road safely. That being said what about the t case it is pretty big and tough....looking lol

steve6x6x6

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The two major things that breaks axles are torque and tire size. Rockwell has a max. GVW rating of 12,000 lbs ea. axle. This 6v92 needs to be installed in a 5 ton.

Ryan123

well I would have to agree with you but... how much can the 2.5tons handle? I can back the power down out of it if needed I would like to know were the limit is. I am not going to be rock crawling this thing, it will be going over the mountains to go camping ect. Also pulling some loads i'm sure.

w3azel

Id use that money for 5 ton internals. The drivetrain will probably do fine as long as your not crazy on it. Going off-road in a mud hole will probably end with you breaking stuff. Driving and towing you should be alright as long as your not trying to race people.

Ryan123

Really? 4.90 ratio gear set change X 3 chunks = $5.500.00 + 27% OD. You looking at doing 120 mph?
Here ill do the math for you. The gears cost 1200$ each so that's 3600 bucks not cheap I know but its better than a brownie box (hacked in).

Here is the math

2100 RPM divided by .63 trans OD =3333.33 divided by 4.90 axle ratio= 680.27 times 10.55 rolling circumference of my 43 inch tires at 96 percent =7176.87 feet per minute times 60 minutes = 430612.24 feet per hour divided by 5280 feet per mile =81.55 MPH

that being said I DO NOT WANT TO RUN THAT FAST however without the gears you get 59 mph. I would like to run 65 MPH at a lower RPM for better fuel consumption and not have to have the motor pegged out.

Ryan123

Id use that money for 5 ton internals. The drivetrain will probably do fine as long as your not crazy on it. Going off-road in a mud hole will probably end with you breaking stuff. Driving and towing you should be alright as long as your not trying to race people.
5 ton third members fit into 2.5tons?

welldigger

5 ton third members fit into 2.5tons?
No. But 5 ton axles have been shoehorned under deuces numerous times. Bet you could get some take out 5 ton axles for around the same money as ouverson gear sets. Though they would need to be the older 5 ton axles with hydraulic brakes. Unless you want to convert to disk brakes. In which case it probably wouldn't matter which 5 ton axles you use.