• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

2.5 ton vs 5 ton engines

Bfoulk

so I’ve been searching a while for a truck. I have found 8.3s with no turbo and some with. Also the lds and ldt. I like the whisler turbo for sure. I think that’s on the ldt engines. I may have left out some engines. Which engine would be the best?

transmission. I have found trucks with 5 speed may be a dumb question but are they over drive. If not Is there any trans swaps out there?

G744

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The G744 (M39-series) 5 tons were built several configurations over the long life of the design.

The 1st were powered by a gas Continental 6602 with a straight 5-speed Spicer.
The 2nd were powered by a Diesel Mack ENDT-673 turbo with a 5-speed overdrive.
The 3rd were powered by a Multifuel Continental or White turbo with a straight 5-speed Spicer.

The M809-series were all powered by a Diesel Cummins 250 naturally aspirated with the Spicer 5-speed overdrive.

The SAE #2 transmission case was identical on all of them, with different internals.

Last edited:

HDN

Yes, I've seen several M35's with 5-ton motors in them. They pull much better on the highway, but no whistler anymore...
The Cat 3116 on my truck has a satisfying turbo whine :sneaky: The 3116 in the M35A3 has comparable performance to the LDS 465 the M39A2 trucks came with, both around 170 hp and ~420 lb-ft of torque, though I think the LDS has a little more torque than that. The 3116 in the FMTV was uprated from what the M35A3 came with.

The Cat motor has quite a tuning range, up to 700 horsepower for marine applications, though I think some rod, piston, and maybe head swaps are needed to get that power :unsure:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks