• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

2.5 ton vs 5 ton engines

Bfoulk

so I’ve been searching a while for a truck. I have found 8.3s with no turbo and some with. Also the lds and ldt. I like the whisler turbo for sure. I think that’s on the ldt engines. I may have left out some engines. Which engine would be the best?

transmission. I have found trucks with 5 speed may be a dumb question but are they over drive. If not Is there any trans swaps out there?

G744

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The G744 (M39-series) 5 tons were built several configurations over the long life of the design.

The 1st were powered by a gas Continental 6602 with a straight 5-speed Spicer.
The 2nd were powered by a Diesel Mack ENDT-673 turbo with a 5-speed overdrive.
The 3rd were powered by a Multifuel Continental or White turbo with a straight 5-speed Spicer.

The M809-series were all powered by a Diesel Cummins 250 naturally aspirated with the Spicer 5-speed overdrive.

The SAE #2 transmission case was identical on all of them, with different internals.

Last edited:

HDN

Yes, I've seen several M35's with 5-ton motors in them. They pull much better on the highway, but no whistler anymore...
The Cat 3116 on my truck has a satisfying turbo whine :sneaky: The 3116 in the M35A3 has comparable performance to the LDS 465 the M39A2 trucks came with, both around 170 hp and ~420 lb-ft of torque, though I think the LDS has a little more torque than that. The 3116 in the FMTV was uprated from what the M35A3 came with.

The Cat motor has quite a tuning range, up to 700 horsepower for marine applications, though I think some rod, piston, and maybe head swaps are needed to get that power :unsure: