• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

2 ill mep-002a need help

R Racing

Ok I have 2 very low hr MEP-002s . The first 1 I just got running ( it has 11 hrs on it) and it runs beautiful !! But the AC Voltage Pegs the meter ! I get 145 volts at the 120 reciptical . on the 240 reading its at 292 VAC on the gauge. The R1 pot reads from zero when turned to the left and 1K when turned to the right. But the actual voltage doesn't change ??

Second gen has 10.5 hrs. When I bought it the injector pump was removed . But was in a box in the storage area. The throttle shaft is very stiff compared to the other gen. I have the pump soaking to see if it helps. So far after several hrs its helped just a bit. But seems way stiffer than the other 1 ??

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Isaac-1

On the first one this is commonly caused by bad output transistor on the voltage regulator board located on the left side inside the control panel box. There can be other causes but output transistor is most common, since you have a second one there it should be easy to swap AVR circuit boards to confirm, alternatively there are test procedures in the manual to track it down.

Ike

R Racing

On the first one this is commonly caused by bad output transistor on the voltage regulator board located on the left side inside the control panel box. There can be other causes but output transistor is most common, since you have a second one there it should be easy to swap AVR circuit boards to confirm, alternatively there are test procedures in the manual to track it down.

Ike
i'll give it a try in the am. Thanks !!

Isaac-1

If it is the output transistor they are easy to change for anyone with basic soldering skill, just don't let them get too hot.

Ray70

If you narrow the problem down to the VR, check the R12 Potentiometer while you're looking at it. One of mine was doing the same thing as yours, pegging voltage high. I replaced the Q3 transistor ( $5 for 2 mil-spec. parts on e-bay) but that didn't fix it. Then I found that R12 was messed up ( think it was open between the variable resistance pins ) a few turns of the adjustment screw back and forth seems to have fixed it.

R Racing

If you narrow the problem down to the VR, check the R12 Potentiometer while you're looking at it. One of mine was doing the same thing as yours, pegging voltage high. I replaced the Q3 transistor ( $5 for 2 mil-spec. parts on e-bay) but that didn't fix it. Then I found that R12 was messed up ( think it was open between the variable resistance pins ) a few turns of the adjustment screw back and forth seems to have fixed it.
DING DING DING !!!! We have a winner !!! Turned R 12 a few turns back and forth and I have voltage adjustment !! Thank you !!!

Last edited:

Ray70

Great! glad something I've experienced myself finally helped someone else....:beer: Hopefully your IP problem on #2 will be as easy to resolve!

rickf

You may have to hook a line to the IP and get some fuel pumping through it to get the inside lubed/cleaned up.

R Racing

I have it submereged in mineral spirits. it seems to be getting looser. keeping my fingers crossed!!Hoping to install it this weekend if it gets were im happy with it . Yes Ray it was a great help Thank you. Who would have guessed it would have been something that simple??

R Racing

After 5 days of soaking and playing with it its loose enough to try . Its pouring today so hopefully after church tomorrow Ill get it back together and give it a try. Thanks all for the help!

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
soaking in laquer thinner will do more good than any other solvent i know of. they need to be very free and easy to move. lube it with clean fuel before putting it back on.

Keith_J

Berryman B12 carb cleaner also works well. The only thing keeping this shaft from leaking fuel is the very small gap. It doesn't take much varnish to gum it up. So a thin, light solvent will penetrate best.

R Racing

Well back to square 1 . Put everything back together except for the injector lines. Purged the fuel line before I hooked it up. Fuel solenoid works. Engine turns over, But no fuel coming out of the pump ??? Any ideas ?

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
did the plunger move freely? pump may still be stuck. it takes a lot to free one up without complete disassembly. even then it takes some time.

R Racing

The 1 inside that moves up and down with the leaver was a bit stiff. The 1 that goes over top of that was Fairy easy except for the resistance of the o ring. I did put some grease on that to help install it and a bit on the throttle shaft cam that goes inside the body.maybe that messed me up ?

Last edited:

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
it's been a long time since i saw one, but isn't there a piston that a cam in the engine pushes? it must be very free except for the spring pressure that returns it.