• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

2" removable receivers

treeguy

I had been trying to figure a way for the deuce to be able to tow civilian trailers. Since I had gotten my nice big green truck I had no way to tow around my other toys, this is what I came up with. Both the front and rear are fully removable and the only permanent modification is in the 6th pic. Fully hidden from view is the mounting ear attached with two 5/8" bolts and 1/4" backing plate. The rear horizontal box is 2"x6", 1/4" thick and the forward ears off this are 4" long buried into the 2x6 also the two horizontal 1"x2" solid bars pass all the way thru the 2x6. The tops of the 1x2 bars have ears that utilize the rear shackle mounts, these use 7/8" pins and the rest are 1" pins. I had come up with this set up because I didn't want to ruin the look of the truck and permanently have something attached. I use the front receiver to jockey trailers in a tight spot next to my house since rear towing would have been near imposible. This horizontal box is 3"x5" (thats all I had around at the time). To attach this front hitch I had installed two more front shackle mounts on the bottom of the bumper. With four points of attachment this mount is solid and doesn't swing. The only draw back I can forsee is that there is no X bracing for side loading but for what I need it for its minimal, I had an extra set of triangle ears that I was going to weld on for cross support to the rears forward arms but decided against it. I just wanted to share this with you all, and maybe it will help others trying to mount a receiver also. I am half toying with the idea of making some for others but I'm not sure.

Attachments

marchplumber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sa-weeet! Plans would be greatly appreciated or if you are minded to manufacture, then I would probably be down for a set! Great look! Any idea on the capacity? Keep us inform, please?
God bless,
Tony:)

treeguy

I would not even know where to begin for a capacity rating. All the dual ear plates are 1/2" thick welded to the 1"X2" bars, with holes drilled leaving 1/2" of meat exterior to hole diameter. The vertical bars are 1"X2" solid that pocket all the way thru the horizontal boxes. The solid mounting ears are 1" thick with the lower rears pocketing about 4" horizontally into the 2"X6" box. The triangle ears bolted to the truck are surface welded all the way around the base to a 1/2" thick pad that has the two 5/8" holes and there is a 3/4" hole drilled in the pad centered on the triangle to weld thru into the bottom of the triangle. Does anyone know how to obtain a load rating, these things are solid with no play for acceleration or breaking slam forces?

treeguy

I'm still trying to figure out how to get to that point. As a note all the commercial bolt on hitches I've seen use 1/4" side plates. With the 1/2" plates I'm using the only rating I can give it is wicked strong! I tow around my 17' boat, utility trailer full of tree junk, and my M116 genny trailer. I wouldn't use it for an excivator, thats what the nice big hook the military put on the truck is for. All I can say is, common sense is a MUST with MV's. I'll try to put together plans of measurements if anyone wants.

3dAngus

What beautiful work. Those welded parts with the pin eyes in them almost look like MRAP towbar feet cut off, but they don't turn at right angles at each end. What are they from.

treeguy

This is all from scratch except for the 1"thick by 2"x3" triangles and the 1" thick by 2"x6" shackle mounts ordered from an offroad co. incorporated into this unit. If I remember right, they are from A to Z Fabrication.com. The tricky part is that the deuce shackle mounts are not 1" thick, they are like 1-3/8" ish. So the 1"x2" bars have to be padded out so the 1/2" plates can slip over them and then insert the pins to the truck. The rest are uniformly 1" thick so side plates on the 1" bars fit over the 1" thick shacke mounts. Does any of this make sense from my mind to the key board?

Last edited:

3dAngus

This is all from scratch except for the 1"thick by 2"x3" triangles and the 1" thick by 2"x6" shackle mounts ordered from an offroad co. incorporated into this unit. If I remember right, they are from A to Z Fabrication.com. The tricky part is that the deuce shackle mounts are not 1" thick, they are like 1-3/8" ish. So the 1"x2" bars have to be padded out so the 1/2" plates can slip over them and then insert the pins to the truck. The rest are uniformly 1" thick so side plates on the 1" bars fit over the 1" thick shacke mounts. Does any of this make sense from my mind to the key board?

Yes, it makes perfect sense to me. Even more impressive now.
What would something like that cost if you were to make several for some of the guys, if you don't mind me asking. It can't be cheap, but should not be either considering the level of work and parts going into it, but I think some people would like to get a ballpark if it is not premature to ask.
Very Professional looking. I really do like it.

rwoods

Looks great. I love the simple design and the great workmanship. Wish I had seen this a year ago when I designed my removable detachment points for a factory receiver hitch; it would have saved me a ton of trial and error plus the muscling of all the holes into alignment. Ron

ALFA2

Impressive, it looks like it should have been a stock accessory to a Deuce!
Let me know if you start making those.
Thank you for sharing this mod.
ALFA2

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks