• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

20,000lb wrecker winch shear pins

Squirt-Truck

Master Chief
Steel Soldiers Supporter
All of the above is good advice, that is a lot of weight on the front of a 2-1/2. But you said it works fine, just be mindful of over taking the front springs. Just curious, there is no rope on the winder in the picture, how is it routed?

KsM715

When you get a chance get some better pics of the front end and under the front.

You want to use the proper sheer pins. If you use something that fits but has any play in it, it will wallow out the holes. When that happens you break pins alot easier because of the shock-load from the play in the pin.

LV2XLR8

All of the above is good advice, that is a lot of weight on the front of a 2-1/2. But you said it works fine, just be mindful of over taking the front springs. Just curious, there is no rope on the winder in the picture, how is it routed?
The cable is around the drum and tied off. It's set up so it can go directly through the front drum or up through the winder I assume? I havent had a chance to use it yet, just ordered up the manuals too. I expect to have to fix or change a few things but such is the life of buying used vehicles. When I get more pics I'll be sure to post them.

LV2XLR8

When you get a chance get some better pics of the front end and under the front.

You want to use the proper sheer pins. If you use something that fits but has any play in it, it will wallow out the holes. When that happens you break pins alot easier because of the shock-load from the play in the pin.
That's great advice. I work in an industrial machine shop and most of our time is spent fixing mistakes like that. Right parts for the right job. I've now located the pins (thanks Doghead) and will hopefully have them in hand shortly.

Thanks again for all your help. I'm thrilled to have found such a great resource!

firefox

General
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Please do me a favor. When you get the pins from DH please put one in and measure the
amount of play. I know his pins are the right diameter but I think my yoke on my PTO drive shaft
has a larger pin hole than what it is supposed to have. I bought the drive shaft years ago
and am about to install the PTO shaft and winch on my 5 ton soon. I got the same pins as DH and when
I tested it on my shaft it was loose. The previous owner had a steel pin in there that fit tight,
but I am pretty sure it was not issue.
Thanks,
Bruce

spicergear

That's a nice 20K Garwood! I have one on the nose of my deuce but used one without the level wind and pulled the heavy roller fairlead(s) off as well. It's a lot of extra unneeded weight when the front ends are already on the heavy side for the tires on them. I have the full level wind and rollers on the 20K on the rear of my Unimog. I found it handy to pull that winch in from the bottom with no rollers and from the back for use with the level wind.

M813A1

If his avatar is his truck it is a Duece with the 25,000 lbs front wrecker winch it had to have a transmission chane to make it work on a duece !! Because the standerd Duece winch PTO drive is on the driver side of the trans. and the wrecker PTO drive is on the right side !!

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bruce, I am guessing your hole has been drilled out to .375" (3/8") so a bolt would fit.(or more?)

The shear pin spec calls for PIN OVERALL DIAMETER0.3650 INCHES MINIMUM AND 0.3700 INCHES MAXIMUM

spicergear

If his avatar is his truck it is a Duece with the 25,000 lbs front wrecker winch it had to have a transmission chane to make it work on a duece !! Because the standerd Duece winch PTO drive is on the driver side of the trans. and the wrecker PTO drive is on the right side !!

In the pic it almost looks as if the brake housing is just visable on the left side as we're looking at it, under the roller. Yes, it would need a chain drive to cross from the stock deuce pto in that case.

Keep in mind however they did make these 20K Garwoods in a driver's side configuration or, the entire pinion can be flipped too. I have one tucked in on the nose of my deuce with the driver's side drive set up.

Attachments

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Bruce, I am guessing your hole has been drilled out to .375" (3/8") so a bolt would fit.(or more?)

The shear pin spec calls for PIN OVERALL DIAMETER0.3650 INCHES MINIMUM AND 0.3700 INCHES MAXIMUM
I just mic'ed a OEM shear pin, it is .366

firefox

General
Steel Soldiers Supporter
DH is right in that my hole has been drilled out. I was wondering what the spec was for the hole.
Obviously larger than 0.37. Also, do you know who might have just that part for sale, not the whole shaft?
I am assuming that it would be next to impossible to fix the part by sleaving the hole, right?
Thanks,
Bruce

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just measured the hole in two input shafts(2 different winches). They were both was .375" +/- .002"

With a new shear pin in the hole, I can wiggle it just enough to say there is a bit of play. If I were to let go of the pin, it will slide straight down out of the hole. This is only in the hole in the input shaft(no driveshaft yolk).

spicergear

Excellent! It's set up like the 20,000lb Garwood I have on the front of mine! Oh, if mine looks different on the pinion side its because I pulled the brake hardware off so I could nest the bumper in closer. I also put the bearing plate in my lathe and turned the brake housing off of it to leave just the bearing and seal plate.

NOT all 20,000lb Garwoods were in passenger side drive configurations.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In the pic it almost looks as if the brake housing is just visable on the left side as we're looking at it, under the roller. Yes, it would need a chain drive to cross from the stock deuce pto in that case.

Keep in mind however they did make these 20K Garwoods in a driver's side configuration or, the entire pinion can be flipped too. I have one tucked in on the nose of my deuce with the driver's side drive set up.
Isn't it that they all are reversible LH to RH drive? At least the 10K Garwoods for the Deuces are. Components are machined so that every single part can be flipped to the other side and/or front - rear. Load rating aside, a std Deuce front winch can be reassembled to fit a std 5ton, with the drive shaft on the passenger side. (done it, years ago and sure enough not the only case).
So I'm just assuming that a 20K winch could be easily converted to fit the Deuce...

G.

LV2XLR8

I'd just like to thank you all for your help with the winch. I got the shear pins and checked it all out. I got some great advice and things to watch for too.

So here's my next question in my quest as a noob...
Does anyone have a good affordable source for some 11.00x20 NDT's with tubes? I've got quotes coming from some of the big retailers but I'm also interested in what individuals might have sitting around. For those who are curious, I'm just across the border from Sumas, WA and anything I buy would be shipped there for me to pick up unless someone in WA has something also.

Thanks again for all of your input and help, youre a fantastic group and I'm glad to finally be a part of it.
:p

1919A4

20,000 Lb winch on a duce? ....My 543 needs the outriggers and the ground spades because the brakes/tires won't hold to the ground in a 38,000 Lb truck. I use the 20,000 Lbers to "chain off" when I use the main drag wench (40,000)