• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

20 July SS'er Get Together at the Veterans State Park in Cordele GA.

I have a high school reunion in Statesboro, sometime in July. The exact weekend hasn't been determined yet but I'm pressing for the last weekend in July so I can do that and my family reunion in the same weekend. I can't really vote on a date for this get together because I have no idea what my schedule will be that far out. If I can make it, I certainly will. Otherwise I'll just have to catch yall later.

3dAngus

Thinking out loud here...
The 13th might be a "recuperation weekend" or recovery weekend to help people catch up on cutting grass and all after vacationing on the weekend prior, which is closely attached to the 4th of July.

So, I would vote for the 20th. But I will come on the 13th is that works better for anyone.

sandcobra164

I'm good either way guys. Let's just say 1 vote for 20th, 1 vote undecided. I tried to call Clinto earlier but he was busy. If a mod comes along and see's this, let's change the title of this thread to "20 July get together for SW GA SSer's". The sooner we get a date set, the sooner we can plan. Are there any objections to moving this to the 20th? I hope not, I really want to see 3DAngus and perhaps Zout make it. I had only planned initially for a Saturday event but Let's Camp there as well. I had planned on camping out with my family and that's not to rule any of ya'll out. I'll camp with my "extended family". Looking forward to it!!!

3dAngus

campsite.jpgI recall that nice summer nightly breeze off the lake...
It's needed in July, and helps a lot. Bring your fishing pole.

Fishing, canoeing, camping, golf course, playground walking distance from campsites, electrical hookups, water at the campsite, picnic table, fire ring, grill, bathrooms within walking distance, 50 foot camp lot, lakefront available upon arrival but first come first serve (i'm going to try to fix that where we can save them for us), and lots of walking, hiking, exploring, military tank and toys for kids to climb on, etc.

This is just an EXCELLENT place for the whole family to get together, not just MVers. Come on down and have some fun at one of Georgia's State Parks with us.
I hope to bring my M-37 and M101 trailer in tow. I will be camping, but might try to rent a cabin too.

This is open to people of all states, not just Georgia. It's in the SW Georgia. Come on down!

Last edited:

zout

Joe - there are just some major concerns happening at the work site that are like them jugglers balls in the air
all flying around. Chit should have hit the fan mid Jan but the balls keep flying around in the air.

I have no idea if I will have a job come July or less even vac time unless is just my free time at that point - really do not
know or can say more - because the balls are still in the air aua

I'm not worried about it or concerned - just do not know which way to schedule at this time. I do know the COOKOUT is NOT canceled and its going to be a blast -

sandcobra164

Anyone reading, please note that at my request, Doghead changed the thread title. This event is scheduled for the 20th of July so that we can include 3DAngus as he had a wedding in Maine scheduled on my proposed date. I'm going with the 20th of July and I don't think it will disrupt much this far out from the event. Briggs will just celebrate his birthday a few day's sooner rather than later. His birthday is on the 25th. Please acknowledge if the date change is good for ya'll, I hope it is but it's set in stone after the other nights vote. 20 July, be there or be square as Wreckerman would say. I hope to see a pile of folks there!!!

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Anyone reading, please note that at my request, Doghead changed the thread title. This event is scheduled for the 20th of July so that we can include 3DAngus as he had a wedding in Maine scheduled on my proposed date. I'm going with the 20th of July and I don't think it will disrupt much this far out from the event. Briggs will just celebrate his birthday a few day's sooner rather than later. His birthday is on the 25th. Please acknowledge if the date change is good for ya'll, I hope it is but it's set in stone after the other nights vote. 20 July, be there or be square as Wreckerman would say. I hope to see a pile of folks there!!!
After seeing the pic Dell posted and the date changed to the 20th my interest is in high gear!! Maybe the North GA CAMO Crew (Zout and family) and the SW CAMO Crew can convoy down for the day or maybe overnight.
Hopefully someone can contact the site and post some info on site/cabin rentals etc. (Or did I miss that)

Oh and are dogs allowed?? We will NOT leave a good troop behind (BabyBear)!!

sandcobra164

PB, 3D planned on making a site visit sometime this week. I'll wait for him to post his results. I'm sure pets are allowed and Joey and Briggs want to ride Baby Bear as a horse again. BB was nice, he just sat down each time they tried that at the rally and he didn't even growl. He's a great pup and I can understand not leaving from around Columbus without him.

3dAngus

I need to go down there and talk to them in person. Dogs are allowed, on a leash.
The campsites are as available, where check-ins just go pick out one not already in use, as I understand it. I would like to try to work something out where I might "reserve" a half dozen to a dozen or so sites near the water for optimum recreation, on sea or on land. And if we can all be close together, it will make the swap meet and camp fires all that more interesting at day and at night. This should also help us all out with transportation to and from the other sites of interest for visitations where we would want to go visit throughout the day. It's a pretty big park and well spread out.
I should be able to get down there late this week. Got a few things to do around the house here first now that I'm back from Florida for the Easter weekend.

sandcobra164

I called earlier today. They allow drinking within your campsite, campfires and they want dogs on a leash. Not sure how that will work with Baby Bear but here's the thing. If the pet is in your campsite, no worries so I think that if 3D get's the campsites linked together, we can travel from spot to spot with beer and dogs. Baby Bear is pretty good about not venturing too far from PB so I don't see that to be a problem. I asked specifically if we reserved the camping spots on the water in a row if we could venture from one to the other. I'm pretty sure they are linked together borderwise anyhow. They said, "no problem" I'll wait and see what 3D hears as I know I want to wander back and forth and I'm sure Baby Bear wants to as well. I also know there is a two vehicle maximum per camp site. I'm fortunate that I only own two and trailers don't count as vehicles.

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
I called earlier today. They allow drinking within your campsite, campfires and they want dogs on a leash. Not sure how that will work with Baby Bear but here's the thing. If the pet is in your campsite, no worries so I think that if 3D get's the campsites linked together, we can travel from spot to spot with beer and dogs. Baby Bear is pretty good about not venturing too far from PB so I don't see that to be a problem. I asked specifically if we reserved the camping spots on the water in a row if we could venture from one to the other. I'm pretty sure they are linked together borderwise anyhow. They said, "no problem" I'll wait and see what 3D hears as I know I want to wander back and forth and I'm sure Baby Bear wants to as well. I also know there is a two vehicle maximum per camp site. I'm fortunate that I only own two and trailers don't count as vehicles.
I'm sorta sure this place is like most places. If you pretty much abide by their rules and do not get too loud or bother other folks...or let your kids/pets...all will be good and all will have a good time.
It's just good ole common sense and knowing what is/is not allowed up front.

Of course...you know MB will have to have a cabin for showers etc., and we can all share it as usual...er...the shower...not MB.:roll:

sandcobra164

A good hot shower is nice at a get together. I don't need to see you're MB in the shower as my MB equivalent would probably leave me over that. Not quite her "cup of tea" if you will. The place is only about 30 minutes from my house so I kind of think Lee and the boys will wave off the camping and stay Sick In Quarters for the night time. Only means 2 more beers a night for me and maybe I'll try some Crown and Coke with you. Can't wait to get this event organised properly and sleep in my tent with a pile of MV's laying around.

sandcobra164

Would love to see you there Jim along with anybody else. Surely all of ya'll know some MV owners who are not on SS. I can think of one and he has an M38 Jeep that is very nice, old olive drab with stars and from the road it looks nice as can be. I'll pay him a visit next weekend, introduce myself and see if he's game. I'd like to open this thing up to anyone who owns an MV and not keep it among-st us SS'er's. I want a good get together and "put on the road" weekend to include all MV's owners or spectators. For What It's Worth, I'm going on Friday evening to set up. I can't see putting up a good tent and only using it 1 night. Of course I'm going to have to drive 2 trucks to get my current fleet out there but I'm good with that. My CUCV has a trailer that needs to be shown off as it was basically free save for some tires and tubes and soon some paint but the heavy metal was given too me by Papabear and 3DAngus. I would like to show them that is was not for naught. It's even got LED tail lights now!!!

3dAngus

Besides playing "catchup" after being out of town this weekend, I ended up with a stomach virus and am house bound. 100% chance of rain tomorrow, and 70% Friday with Saturday clean and partly sunny makes it the day to go.
I plan on finding out accommodation in both cottages and the three campgrounds. The different campgrounds, all of which are within walking distance of each other have different amnenities.
Golf can be arranged for the weekend and I will get the phone number of the clubhouse so some folks can make arrangements for a tee time in advance, if that is what they want. I iwll check on boats or canoes for rent at the marina and pass on the details to Joe with pictures of it all. This state park is a Georgia State Park and so the name Veterans does not in any way mean you need to be a veteran to be welcome. Quite the contrary. We can all enjoy the military planes and memorabilia around the park as well as the playgrounds and water.
It is probably over 500 acres and much of it you will want to have transportation to/from the campgrounds if you want to get out and about.

If anyone has any special requests for information, please pass it on to me before Saturday morning. I will be happy to accommodate all reasonable requests.

And I just dropped my glasses outside somewhere so my spelling might not be perfect. I'm not even looking at the writing without them. Took typing in hight school.:3dAngus:

JOECOOL48

I may have a project for you guys to help occupy your time at the get together. I got a MEP-002 that I can't get running. I cleaned it up and tried to start it, but no go. The fuel pumps work good, but the starter and solenoid are silent. nothing- nada. I tried scratching my head for about an hour and a half, even that did not help. I have pulled the starter, but it has been too cold the last few days for me to enjoy working on it
.49416506.jpg49416503.jpgIMAG1107.jpg

Actually I really hope I have it going by then, so we can use it to plug in the coffee maker and maybe a tv.

sandcobra164

Joe, the RV lots are $29 a night versus $25 a night for primitive camping. I'll pay the extra 4 a day to have power. Bring it with you though, we'll collectively scratch our heads and see if we can get it going.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks