• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

20 July SS'er Get Together at the Veterans State Park in Cordele GA.

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Guess what?? MB wants to go to Panama City FL with some of the family June 6 thru 9 and it's gonna cost me a bundle SO: That means she will have to come to this event with me!!:roll:
Joe, I may be bugging the crap outta you with questions so bear with me Bro??

sandcobra164

JoeCool, It's scheduled for the weekend of the 20th. 3DAngus did some awesome research and I think it will be a great little get together. I'll only be able to spend a short amount of time with ya'll. On the previous "Drill Schedule", we didn't have "Drill" in July but the new one came out and guess what weekend it's on??? I would like to "Officially" hand this event off to 3D as I'm only going to be able to ride up in the evenings and leave without drinking a few cold beers. I still can't wait to see everybody. I'm working to see if I can split out for the July drill but we'll see how that goes. I certainly cannot be AWOL.

3dAngus

OK guys. Here's the deal. The campsite reservations are NOT site specific. I hope we can make better arrangements and get everyone together in one spot next time around, but for now, we will have to play their game and make our reservations at this absolutely beautiful campground and get there early to save a good spot on the water, or in the shade. Currently, there are still 68 reservations left, but they will go quick once everyone gets more organized with school getting out. You can make reservations at:

http://gastateparks.reserveamerica....Code=GA&parkId=530163&topTabIndex=CampingSpot

I will be arriving early, around 7AM on Friday to see about getting a good spot on the water with good shade, a must for Georgia summers. I might carry a portable air conditioner and set it up on the tailgate of my MV I camp in.

I might also have a reservation at the Villa's for Saturday for a private shower for the wifey. I'll have to recheck that one.

This should be a blast. Restaurants are within walking distance, and the bar is within crawling distance, (for the return trip to the camp spot), provided you get in AREA 1, which is closest to the pier.

Arrive Alive, and get there early. Bring a fishing pole even if you don't fish. It's called lazy fishing. Throw it out, let it sit and forget about it. If you catch one, and don't want it, give it to someone who does.

Boats are welcome, but they also have lots of rentals, in boats, canoes, and even larger sunset cruises if you desire. Most spots have a place for a campfire, so bring some wood but not so much it will bring out the game warden. This is a marshmellow and hot dog type of campfire environment and I'm sure someone will have an all nighter going that will be welcoming and entertaining for all to enjoy.

Here are some key phone numbers at the park. We might want to consider a "buddy" system where one person makes two reservations for him and his buddy and gets there early to mark off a spot for both.

Camping Reservations 800-864-7275
Room/Lodge Reservations 800-459-1230
Cottage Reservations 800-459-1230
Golf Packages 800-459-1230
Golf Pro Shop 877-736-8897 229-276-2377
SAM Shortline Excursion Train 877-427-2457
Park Office 229-276-2371

3dAngus

Sandcobra,
It's still early yet, so why not just move it up one week to the weekend of July 12-13th?
That way, you might be able to make it and we will all be happy.
I can just change my reservations. No problem. Important thing is, we get you there.

sandcobra164

I talked to my 1LT yesterday. I may be able to "split out" of drill so long as I go to work at the OMS shop for a few days servicing FMTV's and some older M939 series trucks. I'd like to keep the dates the same and I think all will work out just fine. If it doesn't, I will let all know, I'm just used to planning on "worst case scenario" which is why I would like to pass the "rein's" to you as I can't say 100% that I'll be able to camp out. Reserve a spot in the shade for me and I'll compensate you whether I can sleep overnight or not. I'm planning on Friday and Saturday night camping and hopefully I can occupy the spot as well.

JOECOOL48

JoeCool, It's scheduled for the weekend of the 20th. 3DAngus did some awesome research and I think it will be a great little get together. I'll only be able to spend a short amount of time with ya'll. On the previous "Drill Schedule", we didn't have "Drill" in July but the new one came out and guess what weekend it's on??? I would like to "Officially" hand this event off to 3D as I'm only going to be able to ride up in the evenings and leave without drinking a few cold beers. I still can't wait to see everybody. I'm working to see if I can split out for the July drill but we'll see how that goes. I certainly cannot be AWOL.
This is a easy one to fix.
Talk to your recruiter, and tell him there is a big MV rally at the lake, and it would be a great opportunity for some recruiting, public relations and a show of respect for former military personnel. Tell him you would be glad to represent him and the unit. Then, (use the chain of command) Tell your Plt SGT your Idea and that the recruiter thinks it is great, but let the Plt SGT think it is his idea. He talks to the Lt., The Lt. talks to the CO about his idea. The CO tells you that you should take one of those new Freightliners and a lowboy to show us old ones ya'lls new toys. You load your deuce on the lowboy and there you go. If that does not work, I probably know some old timers that could take your CO aside and make him an offer he could not refuse. If all else fails, I did pretty good imitations of several old retired generals (probably sounded better over aPRC-77 than a phone though.)

sandcobra164

I appreciate it Joe Cool, Most of the older folks have been shuffled out in the past few years with the National Guards "SRP every 6 months to see if anything is medically wrong with you" policy. I've even had to get glasses to keep trucking. Before I could just refuse them but the standard changed from 20/50 uncorrected to 20/40 uncorrected. Guess what my left eye is? They've put out alot of "Old Timer Knowledge" and we younger guys have to pick up the slack. Drive's the older one's crazy as they didn't have any intentions of going anywhere and guess who us younger one's call when we run into something "out of the ordinary". The same guys who have seen that mess before and already know what to do.

Off that soapbox, I've been told by my 1LT that as of this moment, July drill is cancelled as the June drill is a 4 day and they can only do so many MUTA's in a year. They attempted to get around some of that with ADOS orders but they came up with that schedule when we were in the "Deployment Cycle". That's been cancelled for now and hopefully some of the 4 and 6 day drills that they had scheduled.

3dAngus

Just a little over 4 weeks to go. I gotta start getting things ready now, with cleaning and moving stuff around my trailers so I can have room to camp in one. I'm getting excited.
Blackshear is such a nice place to camp, and it will be nice to see some of you guys once again. I hope everyone can make it. If anyone needs anything, let me know. All the sites on or near the water have electricity and water. $29 per night. If you arrive early, you can get a better spot. I'll get there Friday morning.
Camping reservations can be made at 1-800-864-7275
or... online at
http://gastateparks.reserveamerica....e park reservations&__utmv=-&__utmk=159230202

For more info and pictures you can see the thread;
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showth...-s-State-Park-details-meet-and-greet-and-swap

sandcobra164

3D, at this point, reserve me a nice chair!!! I'm not sure if I can skip drill and at this point, it's back on for July. I'm still going to come see everybody and Thank You for taking this event over. Atomic better come in and Thank You as well!!!

3dAngus

So happy to be able to help out Joseph.
It's always a good thing when we have an excuse to get together.
I'll save you a chair and a beer to go with it. We should have something on the grill as well.
So come hungry.

3dAngus

Military aluminum cot... check
Sheets and pillows..;... check
Refridgerator...... check
Microwave........check
Tin Foil...... check
Chicken and Ribs.........check
Air Conditioner........???

Nights have been cool all week and next in the very low 70s. Should be 71 for a low all week and we have had a nice rain every evening for almost three weeks. It reminds me of the 60s when we would get a 15 minute rain every day in Georgia and you almost never had to water your yard. It should be a very nice cool breeze off the lake, and we should all be lakeside on the edge of the water for this meet and greet. I'll be bringing some extra chicken and ribs and keep the charcoal going if anyone might want to try a bite. I'll bring along an extra can of baked beans as well. One of my many buys at GL was about 3 miles of Super Heavy Duty Tin Foil at .002mils thick, and it is the best and thickest tin foil I have ever used for wrapping a grill in or meat that is going to be slow cooked.
I'll bring one of my 850' boxes and put it to use. We should all have a grill built in the campsite so I'll keep some half cooked meat going all day and if we need a quick bite I can unwrap and start up more coals and have a quick meal on the run.
Gotta get all those tent shelter halves out of the back of the deuce and free up some room, as well as that new 16X16 tent I'll probably never use, and get two cots going in their place. I love to camp and miss it so.

Looking forward to it. Hope you can all make it. It should be a real treat. Lots of Chillin' at Veteran's State Park in Middle Georgia.

3dAngus

THINGS TO DO & SEE:
• Championship Golf
• Boating, Swimming and Waterskiing - private boats permitted, boat rental, canoe and kayak rental, sand swimming beach
• Fishing - bass, crappie, catfish, bream
• Birding
• Disc Golf (fee)
• Playground
• Bicycle Rental
• Model Airplane Flying
• Ranger Programs
• Hiking - 3 miles of trails
• GeoCaching
• SAM Shortline Excursion Train -- daytrips from the park

NEARBY ATTRACTIONS:
• Flint River Aquarium, Albany
• Albany, Georgia
• Andersonville National Historic Site
• Americus-Sumter County, Georgia
• Chehaw Wild Animal Park
• Georgia Rural Telephone Museum
• Jefferson Davis Memorial State Historic Site
• Jimmy Carter National Historic Site
• Providence Canyon State Conservation Park
• SAM Shortline Excursion Train
• Warner Robins Air Museum

3dAngus

Looks like the SS Express may be activated on this one. Good deal for all.

I'll be carrying down a few things for different people in a trailer, so if I can help out anyone else just give me a PM. Good place to meet and swap things out over the weekend. I'm off Exit 138 in Perry, Ga. I can carry some of your stuff, as long as it is not to big, to the meet and greet at the Veteran's State Park this coming weekend, July 19th and July 20th.

Now to get those new windshield wipers installed. We've been getting rain every day for 3 weeks now. And no flooding, as of yet.
This is cool stuff, and after 30 years of summer dryness at one time or another, and NOT having to water the yard, and it cooling everything off, well.... no one is complaining.

Of course, I don't work in the farm fields where they need to get their crops out. Good luck with that.

3dAngus

The campground reservation lists no longer give accurate information as to how many sites are left for reservation, but we do know there is at least one campspot with electricity and water left. My guess is, there are a few more. The listing only shows one to two spots left through November which indicates to me a web error.

In any case, make your reservation and come on down. Should be a nice weekend for camping with cool nights off the water at 72 degrees.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks