• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

2000 CUCV-II Crew Cab,(The Twin) Florida repair.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
From the web...

One of the simple methods used to test the CDR valve is to run a length of clear tubing from the engine oil dipstick tube down to a small bottle containing motor oil. At 1500-2000 rpm, the crankcase pressure should be negative (normal case, CDR valve operating correctly) and draw some oil up into the tubing. On the other hand, if the crankcase pressure is positive, bubbles will be blown in the oil bottle indicating that you have a bad CDR valve.
Yes, these things I know. But how does a few psi of positive crankcase pressure account for 30 PSI of increased oil gallery pressure? The pressure is regulated by a spring in a relief valve if I recall correctly.

Stonepicker1

Yes, these things I know. But how does a few psi of positive crankcase pressure account for 30 PSI of increased oil gallery pressure? The pressure is regulated by a spring in a relief valve if I recall correctly.
Lets see what happens after I test ride it. Maybe I have bigger problems inside the engine.

Stonepicker1

Drove it around the block a few times....runs great. Good power and good brakes. Transmission shifts like it should. I don't see any more oil leaks at this time, but will keep a watch on this.
I will have to find some rims and get new tires for sure.
After I parked it in the driveway, I could smell a little fuel...thought it was maybe just burning off some of the old stuff left on the engine......nope.......Looked under the truck a saw a drip of fuel....Thought it might be the fuel filter that I changed, easy fix.......nope......One of the injectors return line was leaking at the clamp.
It had to be the worst one too. right under the turbo.
Letting it cool off so I can work on it later.

Engine oil pressure was still at 65psi at idle when I first started it up, but went down to 40psi when the oil got warm. Maybe everything is good with the engine oil pressure.

Stonepicker1

Mine as well.

What type of injectors did you go with? New GM or something else?
New Stanadyne....made in Italy.
I thought since I had everything stripped down it was a good time to replace the injector and glow plugs. Good thing is I don't see any oil leaks. Fuel system looks clean(JP-8 in the tank..3/4 full)

Going to work on the fuel leak today.

Stonepicker1

Fixed the fuel leak. It was the little clamp on one of the injectors return line. I didn't have the clamp on all the way.

The front crank seal is leaking a little oil. Oil pressure seems to be ok and I don't see any blow-by out the dip stick tube or fill tube.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Glad to hear the leak was a simple fix. Waiting to hear some on-the-road reports.

Last edited:

Stonepicker1

Got my new Warn winch cable in the mail tonight. Hooked it up to the winch and it works perfect.
Warn 83665 remote control. Works on D connector or 3 / 5 round connectors.

The winch is a Warn, XD9000, 12 volt.

Attachments

Stonepicker1

Cleaned-up the CUCV-II Crew Cab today. I also took the wheels off my other CUCV-II and put them on the Crew Cab. I checked all the brakes at the same time and all looks good. I plan on taking it for a 80 mile trip to work and back on Tuesday. That should tell me if there are any hidden problems.
Still have a small oil leak from the front crankshaft seal. Waiting on the parts to get here(they are on the fedex truck)

Attachments

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
90 mph at 2800 rpms, now that's my kind of military truck! So basically an oil filter, a relay and a bottle of Armor All and you've got a darn sweet truck.

Stonepicker1

90 mph at 2800 rpms, now that's my kind of military truck! So basically an oil filter, a relay and a bottle of Armor All and you've got a darn sweet truck.
Still have to replace the front crankshaft seal and maybe the oil cooler hose O-ring. Small oil leaks. Got the parts today in the mail. I also got a new Harmonic Balancer, Drive Belt, CDR Valve, Intake Manifold Gasket, Rear Main Seal just in case.
All together, about $250.00 in new parts. I got a new Headlight Switch, but might be the wrong one.

Forgot...new injector, glow plugs and warn remote control, total $340.00 + $250.00 = $590.00 so far.

So far its running good.

Last edited:

Stonepicker1

I drove the truck to work and back all last week. Getting around 13.5 MPG on a tank of JP8 and #2 Diesel.

I also pulled out the winch cable and found two small kinks in the cable. The cable is around 100 feet. I have a new HMMWV winch cable that I will install later.

Truck is running great. Love the cold AC.:smile:

Stonepicker1

Well, I received the title in the mail Friday after 58 days. Bad news is GL titling department call me the same day and said to send it back to them. Seems there is a mistake on the title(they said Florida won't except the way GL filled something out).