• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

2010 Hunt for Heroes Parade - San Angelo TX

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Attention Steel Soldiers:

Each year, the Show Of Support group out of Midland, Texas sponsors a hunting trip for injured service men (and women). http://www.showofsupport.org/

This year's event starts on November 18th inMidland TX with a banquet and guest speaker Lt Col Oliver North. http://www.showofsupport.org/events.php?act=view&id=20965

The next day, Friday, November 19th, they will pass through San Angelo Texas where we are organizing a parade and would like to include as many MVs as possible.

The following is an excerpt from an email I recieved from one of the local Hunt Parade Organizers.....

The parade is Friday, November 19th. The parade begins around 10:00 am--last year
the guys didn't show until 10:40. It's never exact.
We call it 10 to 11ish. Very strict military time!!

John McGhee from the July 4th parade is also involved in this one. He is
the big poobah of San Angelo parades. He is also a coordinating master.
He told me about your big deuce. Tooo cooool.

Please keep in mind that you and any other parade participants are welcome
to attend the Hunt Dinner on Friday night at the Whitehead Ranch in Wall.
Delicious steak dinner and a meet and greet with the "Heroes".

If you know of any other military vehicle friends who might be interested in
the parade, let them have my information. We currently have three FMV's in
the parade.

Thanks,

Dana

PLEASE cantact me if you would like to participate in this SALUTE to our Heroes.

More details will be added to this thread as it becomes available.

CONVOY UP :driver::jumpin:

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
For the 4th year in a row riders from the local Green Knights Military Motorcycle Club Chapter 64 (Goodfellow AFB, San Angelo, TX) who, along with other local veteran riders, will be there to show their support for these great Americans.

Pictures from last years event can be seen here: "American Patriots" - Green Knights Chapter 64 - Goodfellow AFB, TX

NUTZinTX
NUTZinTX:
Welcome aboard, Sir :-D
Thanks for jumping in on this thread (I see it's your FIRST post).
I look forward to meeting you and saluting the HEROES together.
John

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Do we need to register for this or just show up?
jrsmola

I'll be glad to be the Point Man on this for the "West Texas Detachment" .

A bit before the Parade, I'll confirm our attendees/participants and we'll "register" as a Unit.

Thanks for asking that - I hadn't outlined "the plan".

Looking forward to seeing you and others there - and meeting face-to-face.:oops:

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here's our most up-to-date intell on the rather informal HUNT FOR HEROES Parade....

Although not yet cast in stone, our RALLY POINT will be on the east side of Santa Fe Park (& Golf Course) at East Santa Fe Park Drive and West Concho Avenue. Here's a link to Yahoo! Maps http://maps.yahoo.com/#mvt=m&lat=31.457027&lon=-100.445439&zoom=17&q1=598%20w%20concho%20ave%2C%20San%20Angelo%2C%20TX%2C%2076903

To quote Post #1:
The parade is Friday, November 19th. The parade begins around 10:00 am--last year
the guys didn't show until 10:40. It's never exact.

We call it 10 to 11ish. Very strict military time!!

Therefore, we'll need to be on target no later than 0930hrs, ready to roll.

If you are planning to Parade (and have not already signed up with the organizers as a part of another Group), please let me know of your commitment no later than Monday, Novemrber 15th. PM me or feel free to call me at 325-234-2500 (cell) anytime.

For the Organizers and the Parade Announcer, please provide the following:

1. Owner's Name(s)
2. Rider's Name(s)
3. Where From
4. Vehicle Description
5. Any other data for the Announcer's benefit.

The HEROES will be driven in the Parade on Golf Carts and will freely weave to the curbsides to shake hands and greet the spectators.

They anticpate that the MV's will be interspersed amongst the Golf Carts rather than rolling as a Unit.

Following the Parade, the Heroes will be taken to a nearby ranch for their HUNT.

Later that evening, all parade participants (including those bringing MV's & spouses/co-drivers/etc.) are going to be invited to the ranch (a short drive from San Angelo) for a steak dinner with the Heroes.
NOTE: Bring a FLASHLIGHT as the ranch has no street lighting. Bringing the MV to the ranch is optional.
REMEMBER: Many of these Heroes (wounded warriors) will be on their very first excursion away from medical/rehab facilities - please do not expect them to tour your truck(s) or have much energy left after their long day and HUNT.
Besides, it's not about the MV's, it's about SALUTING the HEROES via our MV's.

Thank you, Ladies and Gentlemen.
We look forward to see some of y'all there.

John Bariou
USAFSS-ColdWarrior
San Angelo, TX
Cell: 325-234-2500

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
John,
I can't thank you enough.

You have truly stepped up and carried this ball all the way.

I can't thank you enough.

Unfortunately, my M1009 currently has a broken TH400 tranny. I WAS going to be there for the parade anyway. But right now, my wife and I are attempting to juggle her work with my retirement schedule. And yeah, there are times I wish I could attend, but just can't get free.

So, I'll be there in spirit. NEXT YEAR, I will be there barring unforeseen circumstance.

jim w
denco

PS - GUYS - go to the dinner. VERY worth your while. Excellent food and you will get to meet the vets IF you want. Plus the mayor of San Angelo is one of the hosts for the HFH... Alvin New. Tell him Jim w says hey. j

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Jim,
You are VERY welcome!

Sorry to hear that the M1009 will be needing Major Medical Coverage. Congrats on the retirement and best wishes on the juggle rehearsals.

We already feel the spirit of your presence prompting us to "step up to the plate", and know you will have everyone in your thoughts as we gather, parade, hunt, and sup with the Heroes.

I suppose that you know Alvin New from elsewhere. He's a good man. I WILL pass along your greetings.

Looking forward to meeting up with you next year.

Best regards,
John

BTW - I had met Dana in previous activities with the Local Christian Radio Station - KCRN. You know lotsa good people, don't you?

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
John,

I demand pics of this worthy and excellent event. I can't travel that far but PM if it needs
monetary assistance.

John
John,
Your offer of support is well appreciated. However, funding for this event is NOT a problem. The existing benefactors include many west Texas oilmen and ranchers as well as corporate sponsors. (see their website for donation possibilities - http://www.showofsupport.org/?p=8 )

Pictures WILL be taken and posted.

The banquet - Held in Midland, TX the evening before the drive to San Angelo will feature 2010 Keynote Speaker Lt. Col. Oliver North http://www.showofsupport.org/events.php?act=view&id=20965
We are unsure at this point if Col. North will be participating in the Hunt.

Pray for good weather, safe travels and a safe and successful hunt.

Thank you.

John

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
T-Minus 7 days and counting......

It's COMMITMENT TIME !

Please let me know NO LATER THAN MONDAY, November 15th 0800 hrs, if you are planning to participate in the Hunt For Heroes Parade.

Please send me a brief discription for the Announcer(s) as stated in a previous post....

For the Organizers and the Parade Announcer, please provide the following:

1. Owner's Name(s)
2. Rider's Name(s)
3. Where From
4. Vehicle Description
5. Any other data for the Announcer's benefit.

THANK YOU !

REMEMBER:
All of our MV particpants are VERY invited to the (free) steak dinner on Friday evening following the Hunt.

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You guys have a great time. Say HI! to my Mom, Dad, sister, BIL, niece, nephew and several friends that live there.

If you have the time, they do have a GREAT banquet in San Angelo and the folks go out of their way to make you welcome.

Again, thanks John. I'm planning the rebuild of my tranny for the first of January. We will see if I hit that time frame. My only hang up would be bad weather. No garage, so the build occurs in my shed. I will heat it and light it. I have a spare tranny, so I'll rebuild that and THEN do the tranny swap. Should not be a big deal.

I'm even considering documenting the rebuild. As I own three CUCV's knowing how to rebuild this tranny is a good thing.

You guys have a GREAT TIME. I am very envious. Again, thx.

Last edited:

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You guys have a great time. Say HI! to my Mom, Dad, sister, BIL, niece, nephew and several friends that live there.

If you have the time, they do have a GREAT banquet in San Angelo and the folks go out of their way to make you welcome.

Again, thanks John. I'm planning the rebuild of my tranny for the first of January. We will see if I hit that time frame. My only hang up would be bad weather. No garage, so the build occurs in my shed. I will heat it and light it. I have a spare tranny, so I'll rebuild that and THEN do the tranny swap. Should not be a big deal.

I'm even considering documenting the rebuild. As I own three CUCV's knowing how to rebuild this tranny is a good thing.

You guys have a GREAT TIME. I am very envious. Again, thx.
Jim,
'tis what the Brotherhood of SteelSoldiers is all about. No thanks are necessary, yet those you extend are humbly accepted, Sir.

Wishing you the best of fortune with the Tranny Rebuild. I can empathize with the "no garage" handicap. I'm sure we'd all like to see a documented Tranny Rebuild Thread - I encourage you to post it up.

I'm not sure about the others, but I'll be at the Banquet. We'll "set a place for your" and miss your presence. I look forward to meeting your kinfolk - I already know your sister (just in passing).

Just a curiosity....
I know that Ollie North will be the guest speaker on Thursday in Midland.... Have you heard if he will be coming with the Heroes for the Hunt???

You are welcome... and THANK YOU, too.

John

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks