• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

2011 PNW Mini Rally #4

Stalwart

Looks like a Mk. VI with reverse cooling, still won't have much for brakes though. Also looks like he has a tracta or bevel box failure on the right front, the hubs are out of sync. It will drive that way, but only with 5 wheel drive and more carnage to come. :neutral:

Stalwart

Yeah - at least 10 or 15 would be nice! You going to Covich? That's what I've been running in the duece - get it for free from the Highway boats... They use it for the little Kitty motors... 3508, 379 gensets...
Matt
I misunderstood, yes, that is where I got it. I'd use Delo 400, or Rotella T if I had a choice but Detroit two strokes don't live so long with higher ash oils.

64c30

I gotta do some checks as well, including an oil change. I normally operate the crane at idle and that dilutes the oil with Diesel. Luckily it's only 8-9 gallons of oil, unlike the Cummins I drove years ago that held 15.
Oil dilution is the result of inefficient combustion of the fuel in the chamber/cylinder. The fuel then makes its way past the rings into the pan, mixing with the oil.

All heavy engine manufacturers recommend that when extended idling's required, the engine be set at 1000 rpm to insure proper fuel ignition and reduce dilution.

After over 3 million miles behind the wheel with all the engine makes, I've found Rotella, Delo 400, and Valvoline in 15w40 formulas the best for engine health.

Also, keeping air filters clean, and changing fuel filters changed regularly greatly enhance an engines longevity.

Stalwart

So go back, get the interior shots. Oh and a video of it moving, to show Stalwart it drives just fine!

Then bring it home for us to play with on Saturday!
I didn't say it wouldn't drive, I said the opposite. They will drive with up to 3 wheel stations blown off! It has a failed: gearbox (bevel box) inside the hull. a bad tracta joint or a wiped out planatary gear set in the hub (least likely). The only other possibility is someone fixed one of the above and put it back together WRONG! I know what I'm talking about with these vehicles, I have 8 related to them. 5 Stalwarts, Fox, Ferret and Dingo.

Stalwart

Oil dilution is the result of inefficient combustion of the fuel in the chamber/cylinder. The fuel then makes its way past the rings into the pan, mixing with the oil.

All heavy engine manufacturers recommend that when extended idling's required, the engine be set at 1000 rpm to insure proper fuel ignition and reduce dilution.

After over 3 million miles behind the wheel with all the engine makes, I've found Rotella, Delo 400, and Valvoline in 15w40 formulas the best for engine health.

Also, keeping air filters clean, and changing fuel filters changed regularly greatly enhance an engines longevity.
Yes thanks, I know what causes it, I have a engine latch that sets the engine at 1800 RPM but I don't like it because of the noise. I like Dello 400, and Rotella T but NOT in a 2 stroke Detroit, the ash would build up on the valves and piston port and cause grossly excessive wear. Also DD, recomends straight weight oils (30-40-50 depending on temperature) for all their older two strokes as they have superior shear strength to multi-viscosity oils. You put in what you want, I have to pay for this and all the research I can find is that DD, seems to know best what their engines like and what will cause premature failure.

BTW, we used to run our Detroits on Rotella and they ate the stuff like Diesel fuel (gallon/day).:shock: I almost never have to add any to mine now. I drove an 8V92 for two years when I was a driver.

s1036s

Well I read some of the 40 pages that this rally thread has gone up to. I got Brads number from someone on here and talked to him a little bit ago. I am trying to get down there on saturday. I was wondering what time you guys were plannin on being at Brads. I will have a civy truck and trailer to bring stuff back, I just didnt know when the majority of you guys are going to be there. Ill keep an eye out on this thread for updates. Thanks

hwcurtice

I didn't say it wouldn't drive, I said the opposite. They will drive with up to 3 wheel stations blown off! It has a failed: gearbox (bevel box) inside the hull. a bad tracta joint or a wiped out planatary gear set in the hub (least likely). The only other possibility is someone fixed one of the above and put it back together WRONG! I know what I'm talking about with these vehicles, I have 8 related to them. 5 Stalwarts, Fox, Ferret and Dingo.

I didn't say that you said it wouldn't drive.... :deadhorse:

I just want to see the thing move around...

s1036s

Hey stuart, long time no see. Hope to see you down there, I may take friday off and try to get first dibs on stuff at Brads. Sounds like you guys are going to Dans first to get the swap done then maybe over to Brads to pick through everything?

BTW, Hi Dave!!!

Jinx

Got to get one of you to look at my accelerator pedal. It's the darnedest thing that it keeps sticking. Usually at 1/2 throttle. I've oiled up everything between the injector pump to the pedal itself with no luck. Not sure what to do to stop it from sticking.

I'm hoping someone with more deuce experience will be able to diagnose the problem for me at the meet.

Edit: It feels like there just isn't enough tension on the pedal to pop it back up to idle RPMs.

Last edited: