• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

2011 Wa State Mini Rally #5

quarkz

Supreme Galactic Cleric
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Harold,

Here is your Tri-Cities update.
Boris/Little Red showed up around noon on Friday and we completed the transaction on his truck.
I flat towed it from the yard to my place and then Boris followed me back to my place with hi flashers on. Except for forgetting to bungee the steering wheel, and the front wheel turning hard left as I made a hard left leaving the tow yard (Quickly fixed in the center lane) the trip home was uneventful. Slow going on the crawl up I-182 toward I-82.

Upon arriving at the property I gave Boris the GRAND tour.
I may have gotten him interested in Unimogs by accident.
But at the very least I think I renewed the coursing of Green Fever through his veins.

Saturday evening after mowing on the tractor, I put chargers on the new batteries so they would be 100% when I worked on the truck on Sunday.

On Sunday I had time to check out the fuel system.
I removed the primary filter, it was full of rust chunks and diesel bio-slime. I flipped on the pump with the primary removed and no fuel pumped out, although you could hear the pump running (after I disconnected the low air buzzer).

I blew compressed air backwards through the lines and heard bubbling, so no line blockage.

Next I went to check out the in-tank fuel pump. But another problem.
The fire dept. made tanker bed sat very low to the tank, such that you could not get wrenches or screwdrivers onto the necessary fittings for removal.

So out came the plasma torch and a section of the deck was removed.
After removal of the pump it seems the lower portion of the pump had come apart so the impeller blade just whipped up a froth in the tank, they did not force the fuel up and out of the tank. Also one of the impeller blades was bent. Must have hit the parts that came off. I would guess the fuel was just at the level of the top of the impeller. Sloshing the fuel would have lost suction/priming of the fuel line to the inj. pump. So rather than swap fuel pumps I had another tank and pump from my winter OMAK, WA truck recovery, that I swapped in.

I flipped on power and fuel spit out the primary filter housing. So I re-assembled the primary fuel filter.

Then I went and dropped the secondary and final filters. They looked almost new, still shiny, but cleaned their housings (bio-slime and rust fuel again) and replaced them also. Cracked the line to #1 injector and the fuel filter stop-cocks and flipped on the power. Ran around and closed each of the stop cocks once they started spewing fuel. Once fuel made it to #1 inj. I flipped off the power. Snugged up the connections and went back and started her right up.

Nice sounding C turbo- easily heard from the cab. The exhaust on this erdalator goes under the truck and points down on the ground around the battery box/fuel tank area.

For those that have asked, she does not have a rear PTO. Bus shy of a drop side bed I think she has everything you look for in a deuce.

So now I need a good M105A2 to go with her.
Also what do you think is a better way to go?
1) an air-o-matic system or 2) the hydraulic power steering out of an LDS 5 Ton.
#1 is bolt on and #2 is dis-assemble and reassemble.

Guess it is time to go update my signature line.

And yes I dyed my hair to match the truck for the recovery operation.:oops:

Attachments

srodocker

on a serious note I've been thinking about the GA rally and wanting to do one really bad. Yea i know crazy in a deuce. fuel. time off. ect. I was wondering who is actually wanting to go and can go? Josh and I forsure and I know Aaron and Dan said they said maybe... so yea. im crazy and so is josh lol

Little Red

So, Status update. I still have the Dakota. The Stealership thing was a scam straight from Dodge. Wankers...
Let me quess you went to Rairdon's in Monroe?

They screwed me out of almost 10k, that I was promissid for my trade in, when I bought my Challenger there about a year ago.
The Raidon's dealership in Arlington can't be trusted either I heared.

Last edited:

Little Red

@ Quarks/Tony
Glad you figured out the problem with the M45 and it was easy to fix.
Also thanks for showing me your small army off MV’s (I would have traded the deuce for that Unimog btw) I grew up in the Netherlands and have always liked the German Unimogs, they are also a lot more common in the Netherlands.
Yes I do think I will buy a deuce again at some point but for now the extra money comes in nice so I can finish my skoolie project before the start of summer.

Little Red

Upcoming auction @ JGM in Kenmore, WA

I thought you guys might be intrested in the M656 8X8 5 ton or the 2 Unimogs that will be auctioned off.

Link here: JGM - Preview

I really really want to buy those 2 Unimogs but doubt that they will sell for anywhere near what I can afford

Edit: the auction is this Saturday the 22nd of October

hwcurtice

Let me quess you went to Rairdon's in Monroe?

They screwed me out of almost 10k, that I was promissid for my trade in, when I bought my Challenger there about a year ago.
The Raidon's dealership in Arlington can't be trusted either I heared.
I didn't know they had a lot in Arlington...

they've been trying to screw me out of my Dakota for years. Shesh, I drive my truck. I didn't buy it to park it. And a deduction of .60 per mile over their 10k per year? Who drives ONLY 10k per year? (Keep your low mileage MV out of this)

Doesn't really matter. Dodge-Chrysler is now down below Yugo on my shopping list for new rigs... And Yugo is below, well, Whale poop.... Get my meaning?

Rairdon has joined the chain of (I forget) but they had a chain of store around the NW... Name began with 'L', I think. Still see some of their plate frames driving around... They sold out a couple years ago. I know a guy that worked at the Bellevue store. He laughed at them when they sold out...

Anyway, If I see them I won't even look in the lot. Not worth my time or effort.

Stalwart

I thought you guys might be intrested in the M656 8X8 5 ton or the 2 Unimogs that will be auctioned off.

Link here: JGM - Preview

I really really want to buy those 2 Unimogs but doubt that they will sell for anywhere near what I can afford

Edit: the auction is this Saturday the 22nd of October
That's my old M656!!!!!!! Lovely truck, we LOVED it, both of us! That is one of the least MOLESTED M656's left out there. I wish I had the room, I'd buy it back!

That old girl with the 395's would run all day at 60 mph at 2500 rpm. That isn't your typical Lds-465, it is the HIGHLY modified 465-2 that makes WAY more power! That engine was only used in those Fords, it is NOT a multifuel, gasoline wouldn't play nice with the much higher fuel flow of that engine.

Last edited:

Stalwart

BTW, if any of you are thinking about this truck I can probably give you the most complete info. The guy I sold it to, Sangamon, also owned those Mogs as well. He had just built a new garage for all of them :cry:

Stalwart

i wonder why hes selling?
He's not, or it's VERY unlikely! Auction is not the way to sell these vehicles. He's either dead, ill, or has had his possessions repossesed or impounded.

If Jane weren't so ill, I'd probably be snagging the 656 back. I've never had such interest in a vehicle, still get e-mails 3 years later, and that was at my $10,000 asking price. Those Mogs were REALLY nice when I last saw them too!

The nice thing about the M656 is you get a 5 ton with the weight of a Deuce (it's all aluminum bodied), quite unique (how many have you seen in person?) and drop down sides all around, with built in all aluminum fold down benches. It'll also leave your Deuces for dead, on or off road. I think it would outrun the HEMTT to 70.

Attachments