• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

2012 F450 Hauling 32,000 lbs. (5 TON)GVWR=44,500

flyxpl

Yes, 24,000 on the axles PLUS 5,000 on the truck. That is 29,000 for the arithmetically impaired.
I was wondering if you would have to point this out to all these smarta$$s. They forget not all the weight is on the trailer . On a gooseneck a large portion is on the tounge .

11b1776

I have often wanted to get into the hauling business part time because I love doing it, but probably never will. Everything it takes to be legal plus all the fees. Then, if I missed something or made a mistake the fines are outrageous. Can you take a class to learn all the DOT legal stuff or is it just a handbook? I enjoy hauling my own stuff and would love to make some cash on the side but it sounds like they try to keep everyone out of it except the big businesses.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There are truck driving schools all over the country. I'd assume part of the class pertains to the record keeping side of it.

I've got a truck and a Landoll type trailer to move my own equipment. I don't do much hauling for hire. One reason is I'm only legal for TN,KY, and AL. The other reason is there are a lot of truckers that will haul cheaper than I'm willing to. It takes me almost $1 a mile at current prices just for fuel. Add to that tags, insurance, repairs, and $300 tires X 18.

Tow4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Can you take a class to learn all the DOT legal stuff or is it just a handbook?
Get yourself a copy of the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Regulations Pocketbook. There are so many rules and regulations that it will take you weeks to figure it all out. Then you can start over because the book is updated monthly. Everything is regulated and it's all in there.

In reality, a lot is related to equipment specifications and you probably don't need to worry about that if you use commercially manufactured DOT approved equipment. If you start making your own, then you really need to know what you are doing.

Good luck.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks