• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

2012 Wis Motor Vehicle Registration Rights Act

undysworld

undy...

First let me start by saying thank you for both the work you've done... and communicating those wonderful results back to us.
First off, you're all very welcome. I really got into this fight to save my own green truck, but early on, this became a fight over principles. I'm only here now because it needs to be resolved. When it's all said and done, I'll fade away again.

But please also remember that we all also owe a huge debt to Tom Zat (MajorTom) for his work in this most recent effort.

I've said it before, but Thanks to all you folks for supporting our efforts.

Third... I am a little concerened as the vehicle I'm interested is CURRENTLY HMV registered... don't know if I'll catch grief going back to normal use.... I'd hate to spend the money and have a lawn ornament....
VI,

You shouldn't have problems on this item. The statute which originally allowed them to force such a registration restriction has been repealed (341.140(6m). Should you have any problem getting a HMV-plated vehicle re-registered for a different plate (for which it qualifies), please let us know. We can help advise you on your options for appealing the matter, and offer you information for your case. (We're not attorneys, so we can't do it for you. But if you wish, you can hire an attorney to do the job.)

Cranetec,

To my knowledge, any registration over 26,000# GVW requires a CDL. But I can't claim to be an expert on this. You'll probably have to check with WisDOT on this detail.

If you register a deuce, you likely have an option to license it at less than that 26,000# (but then you are limited in payload to 25,999# GVW, or whatever plate limit you choose).

VenomInjected

Will be looking at a deuce next weekend... my question is....

Can I simply buy the vehicle (cert check or cash...whatever not important) and have the title signed over in hand and simply drive the deuce home? A 'normal' car purchase... you have 3-5 days or something like that after date of purchase to register the vehicle. (Aka a window to register it)...

I dont want to make the drive...then have to go back to the DMV...and make said drive AGAIN to go pick up deuce with temp plates....

Curious if the deuce will be allowed to simply fall under my insurance plan and registration of my normal DD pickup truck for the drive home.... (much like it does for passenger cars to cover the drive home from a private party purchase)

undysworld

Many questions are best answered by referring to WisDOT's website:

Can I simply buy the vehicle (cert check or cash...whatever not important) and have the title signed over in hand and simply drive the deuce home? A 'normal' car purchase... you have 3-5 days or something like that after date of purchase to register the vehicle. (Aka a window to register it)...
Here's where to find it:
Applying for title and license plates - WisDOT

To legally operate your vehicle you must display a permanent or temporary plate within two business days of purchase.
I read this to say that you can legally operate the vehicle for the first two days without a license plate.

Curious if the deuce will be allowed to simply fall under my insurance plan and registration of my normal DD pickup truck for the drive home.... (much like it does for passenger cars to cover the drive home from a private party purchase)
This is probably best answered by your insurance agent. :doghead:

Dezarms

After 10 weeks of waiting for a title /plates, the dmv in wis. sends me a title, an states on title ,( title in wis as; hmv eligible only.) also they sent a letter with it stating,the vehicle is not eligible for heavy truck plates, you have requested a 20,000lb plate,military vehicles are only eligible for plates up to 8000 lbs. the heavy military trucks have not been approved for regular heavy truck plates. however you are eligile for historical military plate for your m35a3 vehicle. the law has not been changed to allow for regular plates for military vehicles over 8000 lbs. anyone have any comments or ideas on this??

Last edited:

Tanner

After 10 weeks of waiting for a title /plates, the dmv in wis. sends me a title, an states on title ,( title in wis as; hmv eligible only.) also they sent a letter with it stating,the vehicle is not eligible for heavy truck plates, you have requested a 20,000lb plate,military vehicles are only eligible for plates up to 8000 lbs. the heavy military trucks have not been approved for regular heavy truck plates. however you are eligile for historical military plate for your m35a3 vehicle. the law has not been changed to allow for regular plates for military vehicles over 8000 lbs. anyone have any comments or ideas on this??
Shame about the WisDOT 'Ruse of Engagement' (yes; I spelled it correctly) - they suck the fun out of your hobby.

Are you attempting to register as HMV, or heavy truck for business/personal use? I see where past posts state that your truck is ~87 from depot upgrade?

'Tanner'

Last edited:

cx65083

????

Something ain't right there. They were more than happy to give me heavy truck plates for my 813!
Then again, I went straight to Stevens point office and got my title. I mailed the registration in but still had no problems. I even got a refund check because I sent in too much. Go figure.

Last edited:

trukhead

business/personal use. its a m35a3 1999 am general.
Your M35A3, like mine is only eligible for an HMV Plate.

See the second paragraph below:

We've just learned that the "effective date" for the newly passed 2011 Wis. Act 235 will be July 2, 2012.

This means that beginning July 2, all pre-'70 (Oct. 1, 1969) former military vehicle, U.S. & foreign, may register for normal registration options. This includes all weight vehicles. (As always, a title or SF-97 is required, and as always, compliance with Wis. Equip. standards is a condition of operation. Just like civilian vehicles, Fed. Motor Carrier Safety Admin. rules apply to larger commercially used vehicles.)

Also remember that currently, ANY former U.S. military vehicle under 10,000 GVW may register for regular registration regardless of year, and regardless if there is a certification label.

We will be meeting with DOT this summer, to address vehicles over 10,000# gvw which are 1970 or newer. We'll keep you posted as this moves forward.
My A3 is driven allot off-road and needs allot of on-road maintenance runs but it is not an everyday driven on-road. Off road, I try to keep the cobwebs blown out of it frequently though, keep the batteries charged, keep the coolant mixed, cycle air into the air-tanks and drain them, rotate the air in the CTIS system, perform fuel injector flushes, rotate the fan belt, cycle the electrons through the relays, makle sure the Haldex is operating freely, keep the grease fittings free to accept lubricant, make sure the lamps illuminate up to spec by getting the old light out of them, check for air leaks..........:mrgreen: when I make the on-road runs.:driver:

Last edited:

KORNDOG

Just received my HMV plates and title. Took about 10 weeks. I would (and did) photocopy and send certified post. Got my insurance through progressive. It sure is a drag waiting over two months for title and tags, but as I understand it, there was NO way to legally operate these until earlier this year....

Also as a side note, THANKS ALLOT to all who helped me figure this stuff out for my 817.[thumbzup]

undysworld

Guys,

The plan is still on to begin meetings with DOT late this year to address the concerns with vehicles over 10,000 gvw. Understand that what is causing the problems currently are both Wis. state statute AND Federal laws.

Wis. law [s. 341.10(6)] prohibits registration of vehicles w/o a FMVSS cert. label. However, Fed. law exempts ALL vehicles which are older than 25 yrs. old from FMVSS requirements. So Wis. statutes are out of conformity with Fed. law. We will move to make Wis. law reflect Fed. law, so that ex-mil. vehicles older than 25 yrs. old and over 10,000 gvw will not be denied registration under the Wis. statute.

The next legislative session is next year, so nothing will change until then.

Assuming we are successful, vehicles newer than 25 y.o. will probably still be limited to HMV-only status in Wisconsin, because FMVSS requirements will still apply to them. As they reach the 25 year age, this restriction will no longer apply.

undysworld

Ummm. This thread is rather old. I'm not sure why it got brought up again. Here's a link to the most current thread as of 6/10/13: http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?104453-Good-Change-Coming-In-Wisconsin

Please read that thread for more current info, and if you've still got any questions about the current status of things, then feel free to pm or phone me to discuss it.

Currently, only 1970 and newer vehicles which are over 10,000# GVW have limits on registration options, and those vehicles must still register as HMV.

We're still working towards fixing things for those vehicles too, and the other thread has info on it. Please read it and help us!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks