• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

2012 Wis Motor Vehicle Registration Rights Act

cx65083

How long did it take?

The title took only minutes and was handed over the counter. A few weeks later I found I had to send the title in to get her registered. I sent it in a week or two ago. still waiting on word. I registered it as a private use heavy truck. Was almost 500 bucks. I'm sure I'll hear back from them soon and I'll let everyone know how it went.

toddm

I bought a M1009 out of Ft. McCoy in Late April. I got the SF97 in about a week, I am going to transfer the collector plates I had on my Deuce. I sent all the fees and correct forms, including many pictures of different parts of the truck, this was on May 2nd. I finally got a letter in the mail yesterday that they received my money and forms but I need to send them pictures. So I e-mailed them all of the pictures that I had printed off and had sent to them previously. I don't know what happened to the pictures I am just happy they didn't loose everything. I was beginning to wonder if they got anything at all, a man at the DMV told me they were about a month behind on transfers.

Dezarms

When I went to the dmv they gave me run the around, and told me to mail to special plates division. which by the way is upstairs from there office! they also said it would take about 8-10weeks to get. if they would give my m35a3 a plate. typical gov b.s !!

undysworld

So I e-mailed them all of the pictures that I had printed off and had sent to them previously. I don't know what happened to the pictures I am just happy they didn't loose everything.
This brings up a valid point, at least with regard to the Wisconsin DOT: MAKE SURE YOU SEND YOUR APPLICATION PPWK TO WisDOT VIA CERTIFIED US MAIL, AND KEEP PHOTOCOPIES OF EVERYTHING YOU SEND THEM!!!

It was not unknown for them to "lose" paperwork, only to mysteriously "find" it when informed that the applicant had the US Post Office receipt which proved delivery. When it comes to your SF-97, which is non-replaceable, this is a big deal.

Dezarms,
FYI, my 16 y.o. son just bought his first car, and sent the ppwk in for title and license. Apparently, this is now taking them about two months for them to complete, per their website. Wisconsin owners might consider contacting their legislators and complaining about this, if they think such a delay is unreasonable. (I do.)

Cheers,
Paul

toddm

This brings up a valid point, at least with regard to the Wisconsin DOT: MAKE SURE YOU SEND YOUR APPLICATION PPWK TO WisDOT VIA CERTIFIED US MAIL, AND KEEP PHOTOCOPIES OF EVERYTHING YOU SEND THEM!!!

It was not unknown for them to "lose" paperwork, only to mysteriously "find" it when informed that the applicant had the US Post Office receipt which proved delivery. When it comes to your SF-97, which is non-replaceable, this is a big deal.

Dezarms,
FYI, my 16 y.o. son just bought his first car, and sent the ppwk in for title and license. Apparently, this is now taking them about two months for them to complete, per their website. Wisconsin owners might consider contacting their legislators and complaining about this, if they think such a delay is unreasonable. (I do.)

Cheers,
Paul[/QUOTE

I made photocopies of everything, I thought afterwards to send it certified, glad they didn't loose everything only the pictures.

Neophyte

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yep.....sent in for title and plates for a 1967 Chevy II hot rod to "research" in Madison in early March.......just got the title.....still waiting for plates. It took 3 phone calls, e-mail of pictures (and YES, they never received the pictures I sent in with the application...though they have the application). I inquired as to what was going on (asked gently with a heaping amount of kindness)....." we are understaffed and backlogged at least two months" was the response.

I have yet to title and plate my 925 for fear of what I'm going through for a civilian car.

toddm

I got my Wisconsin title in the mail today and I transferred my Collector plates from my Deuce onto it. Now I am officialy legal!

cx65083

WOOHOO, We're legal! (almost?)

Received the certificate of vehicle Registration this morning. Still waiting on the plates...but she's registered AND insured now.

With the C of R in the glove box I should be fully legal to go for a drive now. Think I'll double check though. It used to be, in WI anyway, you were "legal" as soon as you put the registration in the mail. You had to carry a copy of your paperwork and a copy of the check sent in. I haven't registered a medium/heavy truck here yet, so I'm only assuming it would be the same.

Anyone in WI know if you have to display plates to be legal?

toddm

Received the certificate of vehicle Registration this morning. Still waiting on the plates...but she's registered AND insured now.

With the C of R in the glove box I should be fully legal to go for a drive now. Think I'll double check though. It used to be, in WI anyway, you were "legal" as soon as you put the registration in the mail. You had to carry a copy of your paperwork and a copy of the check sent in. I haven't registered a medium/heavy truck here yet, so I'm only assuming it would be the same.

Anyone in WI know if you have to display plates to be legal?
I had copies of all my paperwork in my glovebox in case I got pulled over, that's what I used to do all the time in the past. Not sure if it is correct to do now. At least I didn't get pulled over to find out. I have had insurance on it since I started driving it. At least now it has a title in my name and plates on it. In regards to having plates on your vehicle, I'm not sure. I had my collector plates on the whole time.

poof

Dirty Hippie
title and tagged my 1967 M151a1 this past week.Passenger vehicle plates. went to desk and all went smooth...
title has a 5 or 6 letter and number VIN..
DMV person asked what "Stake bed" ment.. I said it has holes in the sides for the top and doors to attach to... she asked if it has seats in front and back for passengers.. I say Yes.:whistle:.. she says.. Ill take care of that...
My title now reads 1967 Jeep.. Green.. Sport/utility.. oh well..
tagged and insured..
:jumpin:

VenomInjected

Updates on this?

Live in Wisconsin but I need to work this truck...menards and back...backup DD etc....

Looking at a 68 2-1/2 w/w but... nothing on the website says this can happen...

How do you register this and still work it legally in regards to weight restrictions.... as a collector?

Oh...and hi.... first post... not bad for a new guy right... (I've been reading at least and answering my own questions...search works nice too)

It still reads today online as:

The following former military vehicles also qualify for Collector plates, even if they have been altered or modified:

GMC DUKW ("Duck") six-wheel drive utility vehicle originally manufactured for use by the U.S. military forces during World War II that is at least 25 years old.
Humvee multipurpose wheeled vehicle originally manufactured for use by the U.S. military forces that is at least 22 years old.
Kaiser Jeep M715 that is at least 25 years old.
Pinzgauer all-terrain, four- or six-wheel drive vehicle that is at least 25 years old.

AKA no duece :(

Last edited:

trukhead

Updates on this?

Live in Wisconsin but I need to work this truck...menards and back...backup DD etc....

Looking at a 68 2-1/2 w/w but... nothing on the website says this can happen...

How do you register this and still work it legally in regards to weight restrictions.... as a collector?

Oh...and hi.... first post... not bad for a new guy right... (I've been reading at least and answering my own questions...search works nice too)

It still reads today online as:

The following former military vehicles also qualify for Collector plates, even if they have been altered or modified:

GMC DUKW ("Duck") six-wheel drive utility vehicle originally manufactured for use by the U.S. military forces during World War II that is at least 25 years old.
Humvee multipurpose wheeled vehicle originally manufactured for use by the U.S. military forces that is at least 22 years old.
Kaiser Jeep M715 that is at least 25 years old.
Pinzgauer all-terrain, four- or six-wheel drive vehicle that is at least 25 years old.

AKA no duece :(
The next quote is from page 13, "...seek and Ye shall find..."

We've just learned that the "effective date" for the newly passed 2011 Wis. Act 235 will be July 2, 2012.

This means that beginning July 2, all pre-'70 (Oct. 1, 1969) former military vehicle, U.S. & foreign, may register for normal registration options. This includes all weight vehicles. (As always, a title or SF-97 is required, and as always, compliance with Wis. Equip. standards is a condition of operation. Just like civilian vehicles, Fed. Motor Carrier Safety Admin. rules apply to larger commercially used vehicles.)

Also remember that currently, ANY former U.S. military vehicle under 10,000 GVW may register for regular registration regardless of year, and regardless if there is a certification label.

We will be meeting with DOT this summer, to address vehicles over 10,000# gvw which are 1970 or newer. We'll keep you posted as this moves forward.
..." Whooop Der it Is Whooop Der it Is"...fat lady sings

VenomInjected

The next quote is from page 13, "...seek and Ye shall find..."

..." Whooop Der it Is Whooop Der it Is"...fat lady sings

I guess I miss understood....(or asked the wrong question)

Does that mean you register it as a class E heavy truck (16,000 lbs and under) to the tune of $283.00 a year?

Or what is the way to register it for 'normal' everyday use....(private owner non-commercial 'trips to mendards'....aka my own roof repairs, landscaping etc)

undysworld

VenomInjected,

I'm not certain of the class you need to be in for your intended purposes, but in short, a pre-10/'69 former-military truck can be registered with the same registration options as any civilian model.

Collector won't allow it to be used to haul a load. I've got my deuce registered as a Farm truck, but I own a farm. I'm guessing you'll need to go with the heavy truck plates you mentioned. I'm not certain if you will need to follow U.S.DOT rules if you don't go out of state.

Basically, whatever rules apply to a similar civilian-model truck will apply to you. Hopefully this helps.

VenomInjected

VenomInjected,

I'm not certain of the class you need to be in for your intended purposes, but in short, a pre-10/'69 former-military truck can be registered with the same registration options as any civilian model.

Collector won't allow it to be used to haul a load. I've got my deuce registered as a Farm truck, but I own a farm. I'm guessing you'll need to go with the heavy truck plates you mentioned. I'm not certain if you will need to follow U.S.DOT rules if you don't go out of state.

Basically, whatever rules apply to a similar civilian-model truck will apply to you. Hopefully this helps.
undy...

First let me start by saying thank you for both the work you've done... and communicating those wonderful results back to us.

Second.... I think thats how to register it for normal use and simply check the 'private use' box instead of commercial use when it comes to register and then i wont need an apportioned DOT #.....

Third... I am a little concerened as the vehicle I'm interested is CURRENTLY HMV registered... don't know if I'll catch grief going back to normal use.... I'd hate to spend the money and have a lawn ornament....

cx65083

Title & plates in WI.

When I went to the dmv they gave me run the around, and told me to mail to special plates division. which by the way is upstairs from there office! they also said it would take about 8-10weeks to get. if they would give my m35a3 a plate. typical gov b.s !!
If you have a WI title in hand, you can get plates in WI. But you either have to apply for collector military plates or (if you want to actually drive it when you want) register it as a personal use med/heavy truck. For ME, that meant 500 bucks for plates. I can live with that to use it whenever I want for whatever I want.

toddm : RE: I had copies of all my paperwork in my glovebox in case I got pulled over, that's what I used to do all the time in the past.

I did that too cause that's the way I learned to do it in WI. I have since learned that on trucks over 8000lbs you MUST display a plate to be legal. Which means waiting for the plates before driving it. Fortunetly, I didnt get pulled over in the few trips I took.

Dezarms: RE: who did you get insurance from?

I applied online with Gieko. I tried others, but when it asks for vehicle info you run into a road block. On the Gieko site It let me put "other".... then it lets you fill it in. I put AM General, and then M813 for the model. an hour or so later a real person called to varify the info. He didnt ask and I did not vollunteer any extra info about it being a BIG green "Army Truck" (besides, it's a MARINE CORPS truck!) I just told him it was a military truck that I use for personal use and asked for liability insurance. Cost me $30 a month.

cx65083

Private use plates on a 5 ton in WI.

I don't know what it is for a deuce, but I registered my 5ton at 26000 pounds. She weighs 20500 empty without the tarps n bows in. And if I pull a fully loaded 105 trailer (gravel or cement?) its only 5500 pounds and I'll still be good. I know I will never have 10k in the bed as I have NO way to load 10k! Just thinking about that hurts my back.
Anyway At 26k it's 480-500 a year for private use plates so I can drive it every day for whatever and when I want.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks