• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

2014 Ga. Rally volunteers needed

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Some of my video will be sans audio so it would need some music or narration dubbed in.

Robo McDuff

In memorial Ron - 73M819
Steel Soldiers Supporter
John, do we have a dedicated production person who might be able to produce a video?.
I'm not a professional, and all I have is Windows Movie Maker, but I'd love any raw clips to merge together into something presentable for the group.
:ditto: Same here, I have Adobe Premiere Pro CS 6.

What about collecting/copying all raw video and digital pics during the Rally onto one hard drive, so everybody who wants it can get it copied already there? I will be bringing my laptop with PP and also a 1 TB portable hard drive.

EMD567

Driver for the Ga Mafia
Steel Soldiers Supporter
John, do we have a dedicated production person who might be able to produce a video?.
Not to my knowledge. I am very good with a video camera, but suck at editing/post production.(have hours and hours of trains on video, you can ask Ferro.) I am excellent at still photography, but I will be leading the convoy.

I know we had a guy show up at the 2012 SSGA, and did some excellent work with a go pro and video camera. In fact, his go pro was run over by a deuce, and survived!

The other problem is the format that the video is in. My camera is a high end Sony, and uses mini DV tape. A lot of he smaller camcorders use a hard drive, and are much easier to download into a computer. Almost everybody can edit/post stills- some of the newer cameras use bluetooth to transfer the data to web.

Last edited:

Robo McDuff

In memorial Ron - 73M819
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not to my knowledge. I am very good with a video camera, but suck at editing/post production.(have hours and hours of trains on video, you can ask Ferro.) I am excellent at still photography, but I will be leading the convoy.

I know we had a guy show up at the 2012 SSGA, and did some excellent work with a go pro and video camera. In fact, his go pro was run over by a deuce, and survived!

The other problem is the format that the video is in. My camera is a high end Sony, and uses mini DV tape. A lot of he smaller camcorders use a hard drive, and are much easier to download into a computer. Almost everybody can edit/post stills- some of the newer cameras use bluetooth to transfer the data to web.
I have an old DCR-HC85E using mini-DVs in avi and a newer Sony SR10 with hard drive shooting in mts. With PP CS6, I can copy from the SR10 and capture into PP from the Sony 85E. The only problem sometimes is with this specific Sony mts format; you have to watch your project settings to make sure the audio gets over OK.

The 85 can be switched to "1080 mode" which actually is fake; part of the shot is cut to get to the proper ratio and avoid black stripes. Mostly I shoot in the native 720x576. The SR10 is full HD 1920x1080. Problem is to cut those two formats together. The best is to set for the resolution of the majority and somehow cut the rest to fit that.

I have the PC hardware and software combo to do this easily and quick - theoretically at least. My problem, same as most people here I think, is that I am very slow at going through all the shots and cutting it into something nice. I had to do it for 15 3-minutes videos on nature conservation for both web and downloadable to mobile phone. That means exporting the final product in 4 different formats. I managed, but it took a lot of time and trying and learning how to work with PP CS6.

As mentioned earlier, why not share all the raw material with a few interested persons who have at least the tools and some knowledge and let them have a go at it. Would be interesting to see the different end results from the same material.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Putting it on a common drive makes the most sense. I'll have no problem sharing what little I'm able to capture.

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't know how much room the raw videos take up, but as I sit here there is a 128GB DataSport USB drive hanging on the wall to my left. If it will all fit on this capacity drive, the best way might be to have several of them available (IE, bring your own). Put everything on a single drive, then make copies for a group of people to work on individually/in small groups after the rally. Multiple copies of the same data in geographically dispersed areas makes me feel better!

Robo McDuff

In memorial Ron - 73M819
Steel Soldiers Supporter
High quality jpg pics take about 3 Mb, raw format about 6 mb. Looking at my collection, 100 GB would almost certainly be enough for whatever we shoot together in pics and video. Laptops should have enough room but tablets and most simple flash drives not.

Quick calculation: you would need 20 GB for the pics: lot of pics but relative small files. Video: 60 GB.

What I suggest/offer is that at a specific time during breakfasts (on Friday, Saturday, Sunday) we will go around and collect the photo material until that date. Just blindly copy everything. I can run through them, throw out those that are not sharp or really unusable, get them all good oriented, and then batch rename them for owner and day in separate folder. Same with video, but downloading will take more time.

We should put some guidelines in place for this. Most important, make sure your camera has no pics on it from before the rally. Second, take copying cables for your specific camera. If it needs special software for downloading, take it or mention it before and I will install it on my laptop (Asus N56JR, really quick with a Haswell Core i7 CPU and a GeForce GTX 760M graphic card). We also could collect portable drives upon arrival and get the stuff copied onto it. Make sure that the drives are empty.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
We could also set up a dump station at the registration area and encourage folks to drop copies of their stuff there. I hope to take some vehicle mounted footage of the trip up using the gopro and some drone footage of the field and convoy and if time permits, maybe go out on one trail ride, maybe to the grand canyon to capture some aerial footage there.

Both the HMFIC and XO are computer literate and one should be in the area at all times!

Robo McDuff

In memorial Ron - 73M819
Steel Soldiers Supporter
We could also set up a dump station at the registration area and encourage folks to drop copies of their stuff there. I hope to take some vehicle mounted footage of the trip up using the gopro and some drone footage of the field and convoy and if time permits, maybe go out on one trail ride, maybe to the grand canyon to capture some aerial footage there.

Both the HMFIC and XO are computer literate and one should be in the area at all times!
Even better, provided that people take the time to drop their copies off. since this will be my first attendance, no idea how often people run along the registration area. We probably should combine ideas here to make sure that we get everything in one place.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Agreed. I'm at the corner of 1st and Main St so to speak so most everyone comes by. It's also at times a social gathering so it's not as boring as it sounds.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Agreed. I'm at the corner of 1st and Main St so to speak so most everyone comes by. It's also at times a social gathering so it's not as boring as it sounds.
Yes Robo the reg tent almost always has to be passed to get in and out of everything. The HQ will be there this year as well.

ODFever

Madness Takes Its Toll...
Steel Soldiers Supporter

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Please elaborate on how the "HQ" will be be set up.
Will it be used for administration/ stockade/triag?
The RT will be where it has been since we moved to the new field in 2012. HQ will be next to it so you can consider it one big "HQ/RT" command module. Anything short of brain surgery will probably occur here. You can think of this as the "Nerve center" of SSGR.

First aid will be next to the RT/HQ area, in the area that Tigger had always used.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Please elaborate on how the "HQ" will be be set up.
Will it be used for administration/ stockade/triag?

Actually it is where firing squads have practice too but I didn't want to dampen any spirits. :)
(Cuts out the need for a stockade too.)

Reg tent then the spot to the right will be the HQ setup where Clinto and Dawn were last year then the First Aid spot like Clinto said.

Whiterabbit

HQ out in the field was always easy to find, it was always surrounded in concertina wire and had the tallest antennas!
That and all the hot air coming from it! rofl

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
HQ out in the field was always easy to find, it was always surrounded in concertina wire and had the tallest antennas!
That and all the hot air coming from it! rofl
Ours won't be much different. We will likely have the tallest flag pole and instead of hot air, it will be fartgas escaping. Working on the concertina now!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks