• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

22.5 Rims on deuce

I've been searching and reading all day. So far I've surmised that 22.5" rims work just fine on a deuce. You can run tubeless tires on 22.5" rims. There are lots of 22.5" options for tires, and much better prices than tubed 20" tires. The deuce has a 6 lug bolt pattern as opposed to the much more common 10 lug option for 22.5" rims. Apparently old UPS trucks and Ford F600 trucks had 6 lug 22.5" rims. I can't find either of them through google or ebay, and I want to be sure I'm finding the right rims when I'm looking. Apparently the F600 had more than one type of rim available.

What I'm confused on is terminology. What is "Budd" style, and what is the other style than Budd. Which style lip is for tubeless tires? There's something called hub lugs and some other type lugs? What's proper for the deuce?

Blythewoodjoe

Here's a few facts as I understand them:

22.5" tires are VERY expensive.
6 lug wheels are hard to find. Most are 10 lugs as you have observed.
20" tube tires are dirt cheap. I will sell almost new tires, mounted on wheels for $50 each
Bud wheels are the type that are on M35's. They have holes and lug nuts. Dayton wheels are open and slide over a large hub with wedge shaped retainers and nuts.
All civilian 20" tires are tube type. All 22.5" are tubeless. You can get radials in either, I think.

I had thought about getting tubeless wheels for a deuce many years ago but tires are just too much. You can buy almost new used 20" from lots of surplus dealers for a lot less. Hope this helps. We can post some pictures if you like. I think I have some around here. I use one dayton wheel and one deuce wheel to make my 10" deuce wheel for the large tires.

Actually you just reminded me of a very good point. I want to stick with tubed tires so I can air them down really low if need be. I thought that tubeless were cheaper though (especially the retreads).

Blythewoodjoe

When it comes to prices, it's all in what you want for the tread. The tires we run on dump trucks are very expensive, compared to the used military tires with tubes. If you are buying new they will be pricey. The only real cheap will be used military tires. If you are wanting to run different treads then it will probably not matter. You are right about airing them down. I think the 22.5 doesn't have a "bead" to hold it on and will break down easily. At least the ones we run are this way.

If you are looking for an aggressive radial, your best bet is wider military tires like most of us put on our bob deuces. Very cheap used. Lots of threads on here with more info.

Yep, I've seen all of the various tire options and such. Like I said, I did a lot of reading. For a moment I thought I wanted to switch to 22.5" rims for more tire options. I think for the stock deuce I'll run G177's in 11.00x20 and for the bobbed deuce run XML 395/85/20's. I was a little concerned with the 395's on stock rims mostly because they weren't really meant to be on a rim that narrow. I know it can be done and several have done it, but if I can get 4 reasonably priced proper rims for them, that would be preferred (which is why I initially thought of the 22.5" rims).

deathrowdave

I have 6 lug 22.5 wheels on my truck . Many different treads out there . 22.5 tires can be had anywhere that over the road trucks are serviced . The best advantage that I llke about them is that they are tubeless, you can tempo repair with a plug untill repairs can be made , no chainging tires on the side on the road. Have a great and safe day,Dave

comdiver

http://www.accuridewheels.com/studpilot.pdf

Check pg18. These are able to be purchased new still. Many heavy truck salavage yards will still have them. Truck tire shops (try the ones that blast and coat wheels). The problem is that they are 6.75" wide. 11R22.5 should be on a 7.50" or 8.25" wheel, 12R22.5 8.25" or 9.00". 11R22.5 are the same height as 900x20 and 12R22.5 = 1100x20. 11R22.5 are very easy to find.

zout

Budd - has a countersunk hole for the lug nut to sink into.
Unilug - is flat and the lug nuts torque onto the rim surface itself.

Budd- used a wheel stud - most times an inner and outter stud.
Hub stud protrudes - slide on your first rim - run the threaded inner stud on - slide the second rim on - run the outter (lug nut) over the inner stud. These also are usually left handed and right handed threads.

Unilug - hub stud protudes - slide both rims on - making sure your valve stems are 180 degree from each other - thread on your lug nut and torque er down.

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I know that Neil Hendricks is running 22.5 rims and tires on the front of his deuce, that he got for a pretty good deal.

Just like tires for M37s, eventually the supply of good useable surplus 9.00x20s and 11.00x20s will start to dry up- then we will be paying $150+ for new production ones. By that point, running commercially availible tires might be a good option if you use your deuce more than show your deuce.

Kohburn

I've been seriously contemplating custom wheel adapters to go from 6 bolt to the larger 10 bolt pattern. It would be nice to be able to swap between 6 bolt and 10 bolt, 20 inch and 22.5inch wheels easily.

deathrowdave

22.5 /6 lug wheels can be had a large truck salvage yards . (International , Freight Liner, Ford GMC all used them )The 22.5 radials are everywhere , once I changed my caster shims on the front axle the truck drives like a different truck ! My 22.5 s are 11r/22.5 they say that they are the same height as 9.00/20s but side by side mine are a good 2"/3" taller in overall height. They fit fine on the narrower rims , people run 395s on stock deuce rims all the time. Mounting and dismount is easier than auto tires !!! Have a great and safe day,Dave :grd:

Kohburn

22.5 /6 lug wheels can be had a large truck salvage yards . (International , Freight Liner, Ford GMC all used them )The 22.5 radials are everywhere , once I changed my caster shims on the front axle the truck drives like a different truck ! My 22.5 s are 11r/22.5 they say that they are the same height as 9.00/20s but side by side mine are a good 2"/3" taller in overall height. They fit fine on the narrower rims , people run 395s on stock deuce rims all the time. Mounting and dismount is easier than auto tires !!! Have a great and safe day,Dave :grd:
haven't found any yet. if you do then feel free to let me know :mrgreen:

Kohburn

i'm still leaning toward the adapters as that would let me use 5 ton wheels or common commercial wheels anytime i wanted with a little added offset on the backspacing to push the wheels farther out.

We should get together on this one and do some designing. I know a guy that works in a machine shop that can do work for us for the cost of materials and a little bit in his pocket. I'm sure other people would be interested in those too.

Kohburn

We should get together on this one and do some designing. I know a guy that works in a machine shop that can do work for us for the cost of materials and a little bit in his pocket. I'm sure other people would be interested in those too.
i'm in - I've got a few designs in mind. I can put them into CAD and make shop drawings easily.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks