• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

22.5 Rims on deuce

fasttruck

Reference to the question "Budd" v. "Dayton." Budd wheels are disk wheels of either steel or aluminum, cokme in tube and tubless sizes, may be eitgher stud pioleted like m35 wheels or hub piloted which is popular on new commercial trucks. Different lug paterns, cannot be used together. Tube and tubless tires can be used together if they are all radial or bias but not hub and stud pilolted on the same wheel set. "Dayton" wheels have a cast ceter spoke and a separate rim which the tire is mounted to. the two are held together with a lug nut that secures a wedge between the rim and each spoke. M 872 trailers use them and to TMP
vehciles. Tires will intercahnge between rims/wheels of the same size and some vehicles have budds on the front and daytons on the back. Dayton wheels are easier to get on and off with hand tools than budds but do not run as true. They are also difficult to "single out" if one hweel on dual wheel is found flat. disk wheels are available in defferent widths, dia-
meters and lug hole patters stud or hub piloted. Dayton wheels come with 5 or 6 sokes, various widths, and like budds, tube or tubless. Bias and radials are also available for both style wheels. Advantage toi tubless tgires is they weigh less and cost less when you figure you do not have to buy a tube and flap for each one.

islasaero

I still don't have my duece, but,

I was thinking about getting steel 22.5" rims and taking them to a rim shop where they can cut the 10 bolt pattern out and weld the 6 bolt pattern in. I just don't know how large either hub is from a duece rim and a 22.5 rim. I will need to run 22.5"'s because I live in the city of the freeways (Los Angeles, CA). Plus, I was also thinking of more crazy modifications, like, new ring and pinion gears with highway ratios.[thumbzup]

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was thinking about getting steel 22.5" rims and taking them to a rim shop where they can cut the 10 bolt pattern out and weld the 6 bolt pattern in. I just don't know how large either hub is from a duece rim and a 22.5 rim. I will need to run 22.5"'s because I live in the city of the freeways (Los Angeles, CA). Plus, I was also thinking of more crazy modifications, like, new ring and pinion gears with highway ratios.[thumbzup]

Get better brakes before you get a new ring and pinion gears.

I'll live just down the freeway from you and have no problems on the I15, the 91 or the I5. Rolling in the slow lane, but I get plenty of thumbs up.

If you do get a deuce moving much over 60 without massively upgrading the brakes, please watch out for a black HHR or a grey GMC - that's my family,

islasaero

Lol, I've never thought about the brakes. I guess I'll have to look at the forum for brakes. Anyway, I want the 22.5 to get better road stability. I don't want it to be bouncing around the freeway at just 55mph. And i really don't want some massive wide tires either. But, I'll keep everyones family in mind. Safety First!:-D

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I noticed in that wheel catalog the wheels had a "disc" figure that implied a rather thick disc compared to the M35 or 5 ton disc. Beware of bolt-nut thread engagement issues. It was an issue on the 5T when putting Goodyear rims and 16.00x20 on it. Those rims were steel and must have been 1/2" thick. The military rims seem to be about 1/4" thick. Anyone measured?

JasonS

You'll spend more to have them recentered than it will cost to get the right wheel. Rims are $50-100 each in my area. Recentering is ~$300 each. Used tires are easy to find at truck shops.

islasaero

I see a ton of semi's

So, it would be nice to get the diffs of a semi and just fabricate them on a deuce. I'll have to see which one is more popular and can brake better, plus, one with those nice looking aluminum rims with 22.5 would be nice. I don't care about the aluminum, but I like the less rotational weight. I will need to measure one to see the fit. I know they are tandem as well.:?: I just cant find a junkyard here in California for that.

PropDr

So, it would be nice to get the diffs of a semi and just fabricate them on a deuce. I'll have to see which one is more popular and can brake better, plus, one with those nice looking aluminum rims with 22.5 would be nice. I don't care about the aluminum, but I like the less rotational weight. I will need to measure one to see the fit. I know they are tandem as well.:?: I just cant find a junkyard here in California for that.
You need to check out Whittram Avenue west of Cherry Ave in Fontana. I think Thier is at least one heavy truck wrecking yard left on that street. Might also try Slover ave while you are out in that area. google a map for the 92335 zip code and check it out.

Good luck.

deathrowdave

Rural Truck Parts in Sparta ,Ky. Terry Curry 859-823-2931 Has many of the 6 lug 22.5 wheels . The 22.5 wheels are much truer that the 20" rivited wheels with safety ring .Tires can be purchased at any truck recycle or repair shop cheap. Radial design tires that are tubeless if you pickup something they can be temp. plugged on the road without removing tire/wheel and repairing the tube . :driver:

islasaero

Well

I was thinking a semi set up because of the benefits: better braking, highway gear ratios, and popular 10 lug bolt pattern, oh and some come with airbags, right...:lol: I had told my sister that I was not going to modify my truck, lol.

ApopkaFL

Banned
Ok guys I deal with two companys for making any rims for me. I have one for east coast and one west coast. There is a company called Stockton wheel in Cali, Then on the east in Florida I use Long Wheel in Jacksonville.

Mudfest

I would like a set of CAD drawings to adapt 6-lug (6x8.75) to 10-lug (10x11.25) rims. I have a 1961 F-600 with 6-lug rims, and I would like to use newer 22.5 rims. If someone could send a set of the plans to me at TNDCorp@aol.com, I would greatly appreciate it. I had followed "Kohburn" 's posts since the beginning. Thanks, all

Zoiks65

I have 6 lug 22.5 wheels on my truck . Many different treads out there . 22.5 tires can be had anywhere that over the road trucks are serviced . The best advantage that I llke about them is that they are tubeless, you can tempo repair with a plug untill repairs can be made , no chainging tires on the side on the road. Have a great and safe day,Dave
Where did you get your rims from?

tobyS

I read through and didn't see the mention of ISUZU truck rims (6 bolt, one piece, welded, tubeless) "budd" style for 16", 19.5", and 22.5" dia. They are not a very wide rim. I'll post pictures of a set of 19.5" with tires on an M105 axle from my I pad. Oops, the first picture is rim and tire, 16.5" from my M1061.

Attachments

Last edited:

biscuitwhistler37

I read through and didn't see the mention of ISUZU truck rims (6 bolt, one piece, welded, tubeless) "budd" style for 16", 19.5", and 22.5" dia. They are not a very wide rim. I'll post pictures of a set of 19.5" with tires on an M105 axle from my I pad. Oops, the first picture is rim and tire, 16.5" from my M1061.
From what I see they are either 6 3/4 inches or 8 and 1/2 inches wide. This will probably be the route I go for my m35 if I can, I've been searching for a one piece rim solution for a while.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks