• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

24 volt 5 ton alt conversion

Jericho

Hello ladies and gents
have looked high and low for the steel Soldier who has the standard civvy 24 volts alt conversion kits for the M 931A2 serpentine belt, Want the whole kit alt, brackets, pulley . Have tried for weeks to order one from Wolverine, but never get any further than his answering service and get no reply I do remember one of our guys selling them, 74 or Ziggy just cant remember who or find the thread , Any point in the right direction is appricaiated , MY MIL ALT just pegs out the gauge, boils the batteries, and its Alt number three bad in my fleet , ready to get rid of them thanks Andy at Jetoneusaf@gmail.com Jericho on SS

red

74M35A2 is who you're looking for with the alternator upgrade.

Recently theres been some issues with Wolverine Tech and at least 1 lawsuit that they've lost.

grendel

They look like this - Cummins bracket and a USA built alternator - Bought two of them from Discoball aka 74M35A2 and sourced a Cummins alternator bracket, so I didn't have to add pipe or anything:

14142015_10208044485644704_8924104079506770003_n.jpg

74M35A2

Correct. The clones are $69 brand new (not remanned), delivered with 1 year warranty off the internet. Not even worth my handling and I’m not into ripping people off. Cummins sells bracket for 8.3, 250 bracket best to weld additional ear onto it like few have done. Pulley is $18 new off eBay for double V or $14 serp. Shaft diameter is 7/8” (0.875”). OK to use keyway type pulley as slip fit, they just make one for both now. 70 amp is a ton of power for the these trucks and nearly all accessory add on’s, unless you are running an AC inverter loaded, continuously.

Last edited:

Txcoop

Is there any solution other than a long spacer to convert my alternator over to a civi one? The A/C installer decided to weld their bracket to the alternator bracket. The A/C compressor is from Red Dot so I am not sure of it's brand or bracket. A picture is attached. Thanks for any help you can offer.IMG_0924.jpg

74M35A2

Use the Cummins civilian alt bracket. It is $100 from any Cummins dealer, sometimes cheaper on eBay. P/N in below pic:

I make and sell a compatible bolt on 8.3L A/C compressor bracket. Works with either alternator/bracket. Locates your same ear mount compressor at the same location as you have it now, and is less than $200 shipped. Your existing compressor bracket does not have any fore/aft support structure, could easily be added though.

My avatar pic shows both installed on an 8.3L.

D3E18EBF-0781-48F9-8C82-C3461BB95D52.jpeg

Last edited:

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is there any solution other than a long spacer to convert my alternator over to a civi one? The A/C installer decided to weld their bracket to the alternator bracket. The A/C compressor is from Red Dot so I am not sure of it's brand or bracket. A picture is attached. Thanks for any help you can offer.View attachment 722776
Txcoop, can you post a picture taken from farther towards the front of your truck? I’m curious of your belt routing...

big block 88

More efficient, easier to locate replacements, last longer, helps the elec system deal with power hungry accessories.

They come in pretty much any output you and your wallet could want.

Tmg alt kit? I wouldnt say they are good. I would say they are kind of decent. There are much better options out there than tmg.

Russ Knight

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Anyone have the part number for a 100 amp alternator. Don't really care if it's US or China. My truck has AC and it will be running a lot during the summer, plus I plan on installing a bunch of high out put LED lighting on it.

Txcoop

Your PM box is full, so I apologize for sending my message to you here:
74M35A2,
I know you said you were no longer putting together the kits with the cheap alternators. However, I am not looking for a cheap solution here. Ask you could tell from my pictures, the Red Dot A/C installer welded his bracket to the alternator bracket. So I need two brackets, the Cummin's short J108 and the A/C compressor attachment. In addition a new civilian alternator to run the A/C, LED light bars, etc. and can charge my batteries at idle. I am willing to pay a commission plus all the parts required for this install. I hope you will consider helping me.

74M35A2

Mailbox cleared. I’m glad to help anybody that is serious. What I don’t do is give the leads for the $69 one to be bought themselves, and then do tons of phone and text support to get them the perfect situation the are hoping for. I hope everybody understands that as being reasonable. I also won’t support anybody who’s batteries are more than 5 years old. Because they start your truck does not mean they are healthy (internal reaistance level).

The stock military alternator has 4 different common failire modes. A civilian altetnator recrifies all 4 of these. The most important being no more over-volt, you can then shut the truck off in any switch order, or so can anybody else, wothout damaging your electrical system and components.

I’m suspicous of the TMG kit, as they depict a Chinese 21Si clone, which was never available in 24v at their stated amperage level. It was for 12v, but at 24v that would be double the total power in the same size case/cooling.

Most applications don’t need the increased amperage, even with added loads. Battery health (age) is more important in the total energy balance. Batteries less than 5 years old will top off on charge and not be taxing the alternator continuously, this frees up available current. It cheaper to switch to 2 new group 31’s.

For 8.3L owners who really do want increased amps there is a low cost way to reach 140A by installing two 70A clone units as long as they don’t want A/C, or if they are using the Red Dot / Kenway A/C compressor bracket kit. My serpentine A/C bracket kit can also be adapted to hold a second alternator instead.

If anybody wants over 70A in a single 24V alternator, it is going to be expensive, plan on $500 or likely more. The cheapest I can get a new Delco 110A 24v unit is $340, and the correct mount bracket from Cummins is $100.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks