• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

24v battery trickle charger

Status
Not open for further replies.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Doghead - you are opposed to battery tender/solargizers etc? Have you elaborated on that somewhere else I can go and read about?
I am not opposed to using battery tenders/solargisers.

He said his battery shop recommended a 24v charger. I said I do not, and that 2 separate chargers is a better choice.

Charging 2 12v batteries in series with a 24v charger is not the BEST choice. Specifically with his CUCV, that does not use the 2 batteries in series(unequal loads) all the time.

Skinny

I don't know how often you guys are discharging batteries but it does not take considerable labor to remove the battery terminals and individually charge the two batteries like Doghead recommended. It is the best method...PERIOD.

Actually, let me rephrase: The best method is flipping the breaker for my onboard smart marine battery charger. It cycles between battery one and battery two individually and does a complete three step charge to extend the life of the battery. More work than I want to do. All I have to do is plug the truck into shore power. It doesn't cost much more than a portable charger either.

natemccabe

I'm not discharging the batteries. It was recomended to me. In my specific environment (cold) that keeping the batteries on charge when I'm pluged in with block, oil pan, and other heaters was a beyter plan than using the little battery warmer pads.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
What DH is saying is, each battery has an internal resistance. Individual battery tenders will keep each battery at its peak performance. A single 24v tender cannot. It will keep them charged, but not in as good of shape.

On a side note, many folks think some posts are being derogatory when in fact, they are just the facts being posted.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
No need to disconnect them when charging them individually.

Skinny

Doghead, you let me down. I was seizing that opportunity of disconnection to clean and inspect the terminals. I thought I knew you... :(

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Preventative maintenance is always a good policy.

My point was, you can leave a battery tender connected to each battery all the time. Wire 2 up permanently(if you think you need that).

I don't think much of them, but Harbor Freight has trickle chargers for less than $5, and you could easily clip them on the terminals and plug them into a power cord, then just plug that in overnight to keep batteries "topped off".

natemccabe

I think the majority of my starting problems are connected to the fact my block heater plug falls out of the heater at the block. I don't norice it in the dark and them try to start in the morning at 40 below basically unassisted. I'm yhawing out rtv right now to get that sucker to stay pluged in. I'm also going to undo the resistor bypass for the glow plugs so they will get the benifit of both batteries while warming and equalize the loads on the batts. Still going to go with two 12v trickle chargers permantly hooked into my overnight plugin.

Last edited:

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I live in the cold too, (it was -55F this morning, and right now its up to a scorching -50F) and for almost 50 years! 24 V is not new to me. I am opposed to removing batteries, unless for replacemant or cleaning, & especially not in the cold. Or using two 12V chargers for a 24V system... too much delicate wireing to fuss with, in the cold. Since you have a 24V charger (which is great), on the old style slave fitting on your truck, just take a 3/8" bolt, cut off the threads, and stick it in the + side of the slave. Hook the charger + to that, and ground, to something else, far enough away, that there is no danger of the two leads coming in contact.
If you have a new style slave, wire it so you can do the above. You don't have to even raise the hood, to charge/boost the batteries, but most importantly, you don't have to fuss with the concepts of 12 versus 24V.

As far as that block heater plug falling out/your truck not starting, you just need to do your homework. A lot of the newer vehicles today, will start at much colder temperatures then is good for them. Then you wonder why you have lower & lower oil pressure. Things do, and can run dry in there, till you get going. Rule for SubArctic North: Never start vehicle untill there has been enough heat on it, so that oil will drip off the dip stick, when you pull it out.

Vhyle

By charging the front battery with a 12v charger it also makes it back to the rear battery doesn't it? I killed my batteries stone dead and just hooked a charger to the front and in a couple hours all was fine.
That's because the front battery does most of the work. The truck can crank many times with a low rear battery. Yes, it's a little harder to crank, but it will start.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Both batteries share the load equally when cranking (starter load).

He left his headlights on, that is why his front battery was dead and why jumping it worked!

This thread is about as screwed up as it can get. People are contradicting each other, and talking pure BS. If you do not know the facts, do not post.

Does anyone here really thing he needs more help? really?

I used to take pride in this site, and kept all I could correct, to make this the best site out there.

With all the growth, and all the members posting like this, it has become impossible to keep up with.

You guys are ruining this site.

:soapbox:

rickf

That's because the front battery does most of the work. The truck can crank many times with a low rear battery. Yes, it's a little harder to crank, but it will start.
You are kidding me right? a 24 volt starter needs 24 volts, period! Anything less than 22.5 while cranking and cranking stops. If the rear battery is low then where do you plan to get the extra voltage from. I have to agree with Doghead, there are people posting on here just to see themselves in print! I saw it on the M151 pages for years and now it is coming here. Good luck DH but do NOT let this give you an ulcer!

Rick

Vhyle

Don't know what to tell you. I've had success starting with the rear battery far below 12v, and I've read the accounts of others experiencing the same luck.

Love Machine

whats happening. listen after much trial and error.(mostly error) all you need is one charger. charge one then the other. if your still crapping out check alt. I just had one rebuilt. 100$ it has to have isolated ground. or forget it. check all electrical connections!! these are touchy female dogs. Forget those meatheads at the auto parts store. I started this journey with no manual and a sweet set of tools. If a man built it then a man can fix it! take no prisoners. One more thing Having another man fixing your piece of junk is like asking him to sleep with your wife. time to get bloody and greasy. Embrace the Madness

Status
Not open for further replies.
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks