• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

24V pumping unit for transferring WMO?

TexAndy

I've got about 400 gallons of WMO another member gave me. Well today I finally got around to trying to transfer it to my holding tank with my hand diaphragm pump. That was rather optimistic.

After about 5 or 10 minutes I had all the settled water pumped out and started on the oil... too thick/sludgy.

Looks like there's alot of gear oil in it. No way am I going to be able to get it transferred through that hand pump.

So what about a 24V military pumping unit? You know the ones that come with two 600 gallon tanks? How well would that handle thick oil? Do you think dirty oil would hurt it at all?

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Is there an exposed nut holding the handle on? Jam a socket in a gear reduced drill and pump away! I have done that many times.
Edit, that will only work on a rotary pump.

RAYZER

If you build a smc transfer pump with a 110 motor,try to find a motor that turns around 1150 rpm's, this speed works better for thicker oil.

TexAndy

What's an SBC oil pump? Junkyard engine oil pump?

Eta: Ok, I think I get what you're saying.

Basically just scavenge an old engine oil pump from a junkyard and couple it to an electric motor.

This picture should tell you what I think of this idea:

[thumbzup][thumbzup][thumbzup]

Last edited:

TexAndy

how about a air powered pump run it off the truck air system Harbor Freight sells one that used 8 PSI its the silver colored pump.
My one concern about that is, how rough would that be on the compressor?

I know it's gear driven so it doesn't have an electric duty cycle... but still, I would think that kind of air would require it to run constantly. And I just don't know enough about deuce air compressors to know if that's a good idea.

srodocker

only thing about the air powered pump and run off the truck that is if your in a neighborhood that has houses close together the truck is loud and people might start complaing. if you get the air pump and your at home use it off a small compressor

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'd like to get back to the original question. Would the 24v 50gpm pump off of the TPU work? That, of course, would be just using the pump and not running it through the TPU filter (which is no longer with the pump). Anything the dirty oil could damage in using that to transfer it?

I'm actually thinking about using it set up with some civi filters for fuel polishing but was going to loan it to Andy for this application first.

TexAndy

Ok, that motor on the one gimpy posted looked a little wimpy, but it seemed to do decent when both containers were roughly level with eachother.

https://www.surpluscenter.com/item.asp?item=10-2040&catname=electric

Here's a single horse motor that turns at 3450 rpm. That's about 1.52 ft-lbs at that speed.

eta: Nm, that's intermittent duty...

Gear reduction of 3 to 1 would be easy enough with storebought hardware (all or most of which I've probably already got laying around). That would give me about 4.5 ft-lbs at 1150 rpms. Call it 3 ft-lbs, with losses.

I sure wish I knew how fast that motor in the video was turning. Then I could figure out what torque it was considering I think he said it was a 300 watt motor? That's less than half a horse. Of course, the stuff he was pumping looked to be about as thick as water.

Too many unknowns...

eta: but yeah, back to the here and now, anyone have any experience using the 24V military pumps on stuff like this?

Last edited:

TexAndy

Yep, saw that, thanks.

Cheap way might be the old standby:

Used treadmill motor. They're usually in the 1.5 to 2.5 HP range, around 3400 rpm, and are 90VDC and reversible, which I guess would be handy if anything got clogged in the motor.

It'd definitely have enough oomf to handle gear oil.

LowTech

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I use a mod'd SBC oil pump as transfer. It coupled to a 1/3 horse AC motor, till I get a 24 volt scooter motor. It will only spin 1725 rpm and I still collapse, from suction, every hose I've tried. I'm sure that length is part of it. I've got about 30' of hose and have had to use all of it at times. Thinking that I need to break it down into 10' pieces that I can add together.
I'm sure the if the motor was spinning at over 3000 rpm the pick-up hose will have to be some kick azz hose.

TexAndy

Picked up a SBC pump at o'reilley's today for 17 bucks.

Yeah, I'm going to shoot for 2000 rpm on a 1 horse motor or whatever motor I can find. At least 1/2 hp. Which means I'll probably have to do a 3:2 reduction with pulleys.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks