• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

24V pumping unit for transferring WMO?

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Just so it has been put out there, I grabbed a rotary barrel pump today and tested it. If someone wants to convert one to a "powered" unit, you will need a motor that has about an 85rpm speed. Mine might receive a conversion. ;)

TexAndy

85 RPM is really low. Which means either an expensive gear motor or you do all the reduction yourself with chains and sprockets or pulleys and belts. If you do it yourself, you're going to need alot more space.

I reduced a treadmill motor down to around 20 rpm, but I had to turn an 18" wooden pulley on a lathe to do it. And that was in addition to 2 other reduction steps.

Even with the lathe set at it's lowest speed, the tip speed was so fast I had to resharpen chisels about every 8 - 10 seconds.

Hammer

To answer the original question, the transfer pump from those fuel station things will pump WMO like a mad man!
I have one, without the big tanks, just the 24v pump setup. It will pump insane amounts of fluid, and make an equally insane mess, all in a matter of moments.
BUT, they can be a PITA to prime.
If you can pump from the bottom of a tote, or something else like that with a valve at the bottom, then this pump works excellent. But they are very poor at self priming with the heavier WMO.
They can do a fair job at priming with thin fluids like gas, diesel, water, etc. The little hand pump helps, but you have to prime a LOT of the line before the pump will keep the prime on thicker fluids. Otherwise it cavitates too much.

Btw, once it does have prime, it can pump a full tote of WMO in a couple short minutes!
That being said, unless you can EASILY prime it, they are only worth messing with if you are going to pump large amounts of fluids.
I do love mine though....

TexAndy

Take pics of the pump and the motor especially. See if you can get a max amp draw off the motor data plate.

I'm going to make a WAG tho, and say that motor is probably 2hp. Which would make the switch something like 60 amp at 24 volts.

Or else it uses a smaller switch and power supply to control a relay.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, the motor data plate is underneath the pump controller and no way to read it well without taking it apart. Here's the best shot I could get with my phone. Looks like 55amp.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks