• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

24v to 12v converter?

Bravojmc

I found a couple and tried them out. Using one gets hot when the radio is on even with no sound - just back lights. Using two get warm but heat up if the squelch breaks. They get verrrry hot trying to transmit. There is also a small voltage drop leaving less than 11.5 volts while trying to transmit. Also it takes over 14 volts before they can get to 12 volt out. They work good for small loads...
I will try to round up a few more and see how many it takes to make a 12v CB run on 24v reliably - next time I get board...
This is the CB I'm running in my rig.
running it on 24v
IMG_7620.jpg

baxter462

Linear regulators require at least 2-3 volts higher input than output voltage to work properly, and they need a heat sink. Most circuits the use them also have a capacitor from the input pin to ground pin, and another capacitor from the output pin to ground. I can't remember how to calculate the capacitor sizes for the best stability, but I'm sure a quick Google search would answer that question. Have fun tinkering.

Oh, and be aware the metal tab on the regulator is electrically connected to the ground pin.

Last edited:

kc5mzd

Nice radio! I saw a ad that said they would run directly off of 27 volts. There was no price - How much do they cost?

jake-cutter

Well, I kept coming back to this thread and based on Ryan's recommendation I picked up a Vanner Vann-Guard 70-100M 100Amp Equalizer on flea bay. Should be enough to cover all of my planned accessories.