• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

3 HMMWV recovery Ft. Polk, LA -> Memphis, TX

Maverick1701

PICS! 3 HMMWV recovery Ft. Polk, LA -> Memphis, TX

I applied for 4 more HMMWVs through LESO for my Sheriffs Office and we were awarded 3.

My Sheriff, chief deputy, the fire chief and I are going to load up and pick them up from Ft. Polk sometime in the next 14 days.

If anyone is along the route and wants to grab lunch let me know.
Also if anyone is available to assist if murphy strikes I would love to have an emergency contact list.

Pics will come when we make it back.

post 17has pics

Last edited:

Maverick1701

wow, how did you manage that!
Well it has been tough. We were awarded one a few months ago but we have been getting denied since. I guess they got tired of me constantly applying for them lol

Also I spoke w/the guys at ft riley (when we picked up our M35A3 and HMMWV) and LESO is getting A LOT of HMMWVs in the next few months so if anyone is on LESO and needs one, keep an eye out.

What are you planning on using them for? Tactical, show, rescue, or patrol?

Hope you guys have smooth sailing!
We are giving one to each fire dpt (turkey and memphis) to use as fast attack vehicles for grass fires and wrecks. The HMMWVs can get on scene faster than the large trucks and begin to fight the fire and start assisting crash victims.

We are keeping our current HMMWV and getting the last new one for the Sheriffs Office. We currently use ours for combating poaching, drug production and S.A.R. on the 17 miles of dry sandy riverbed we have here in Hall County.
We also use them for emergency calls ie. EMS calls we get on the riverbed...the EMS board fits right in the middle and the EMTs can sit on either side and work on patients.

Would like to know that as well.Cant really see a hummvee making a better cruiser than the current suv or crown vic.
We dont use them for patrol vehicles (except for on the riverbed).
We have 4x4 Expeditions for our full time guys, 4x4 pickups for our reserve officers and a crown vic (for our traffic/interdiction guy).

Maverick1701

nopics You knew someone had to say it... :lol:
DO NOT WORRY MY BROTHERS!!!!!!!
I SHALL RETURN WITH PICTURES!
WHILE I AM GONE BEWARE THE HERETIC AND HIS FALSE TRUTHS!
LISTEN NOT TO THE LIES HE SPREADS...PICS WILL BE HAD BY ALL!

no pics yet...but we have 14 days to pick them up so pics will be had soon

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Most trucks/equipment at Ft Polk seems to have been run hard and put up wet. I will be interested to see if you guys end up with creampuffs or worn out 1985 998's.

Maverick1701

I will attest to the Ft Polk 998s. We used them for training when getting ready to deploy to Bosnia and a couple other places. They were not pretty.

hmmmm thats not good. Our first one came from ft riley and it is in GREAT shape.
Im going to have them send me pictures of the vehicles before we make the drive across the state....just in case

3dAngus

Doesn't matter the condition. You will need parts. You are a true asset to the Sheriffs Department.

What kind of paperwork did you have to file? I wouldn't mind passing this info on to our sherriff or local PD.

p.s. Bring a towbar.

Maverick1701

Doesn't matter the condition. You will need parts. You are a true asset to the Sheriffs Department.

What kind of paperwork did you have to file? I wouldn't mind passing this info on to our sherriff or local PD.

p.s. Bring a towbar.
yea we got lucky on our first HMMWV, we didnt need any parts and it runs GREAT

The 3 new ones should be here tomorrow afternoon!!!

have one of your officers shoot me an email and Ill forward the email I have w/all the documents in it.
hallso.deputy903@dtgoftexas.com

hughscpa

Nice looking tru...what was I thinking, NO PICS YET!!!!!!! Good luck on the recovery. Our local Sheriff's Office would like one but can't justify it to the County Board yet.

cjtroutt

CW2 26 BDE HHC S6
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That is Great to see that they will be put to good use for your dept.
Here in Mi there is some Dept. On the band wagon to and doing what you did and they love them to.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks