• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

3000 mi recovery of M35A3

mudguppy

...***(d) Military trucks, trailers, hoists, and skids specifically designed, modified, or equipped to mount or carry weapons of Categories I, II and IV or for carrying and handling the articles in paragraph (a) of Categories III and IV. ...
a cargo truck is neither specifically designed, modified, nor equipped to mount or carry weapons. so is this passage applicable?

no experience, just curious.

mudguppy

so because there is a kit designed to mount to a vehicle, then that vehicle is deemed "specifically designed ... to mount or carry weapons" ?

sounds like a real stretch of interpretation to me, but i've never fought that fight.

Katahdin

Wow. My paternal grandfather was born on Great Colinet Island and my grandmother was from Salmonier, getting up to Newfoundland is on my to-do list. Closest I've gotten is North Sydney but I didn't have enough vacation time to take the ferry over.

I'm just south of Portland, I-95 exit 42.

Whitey

The M35A3 is considered a tactical vehicle by the gov't. It's not like buying a used box truck from them. Whomever bought it from the gov't did sign an EUC and accompanying paperwork explicitly saying it cannot leave the country. An export license is required. There's always the possibility of a glitch when it was released, but that is not very likely. Let me know if I'm wrong, but I doubt it on this one. Best of luck either way.

mktopside

Banned
so because there is a kit designed to mount to a vehicle, then that vehicle is deemed "specifically designed ... to mount or carry weapons" ?

sounds like a real stretch of interpretation to me, but i've never fought that fight.
I don't know anything for certain. But I can tell you that he is going to need more than just a title to get the vehicle out of the country.

.........unless he just wants to find a place where he can 6x6 it across with no one noticing.

Dave G

salmonier is still a small settlement about 40 mi from where i live. Colinet island no longer has permanent residents. I've been there a few times fishing and hunting. You probably still have relatives living in communities close to the island.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Dave G have you researched the required export paperwork ,as these are sold with export restrictions and cannot be sold to non-us citizens without government approval .

Dave G

Hello We got the deuce home to NL. It took us 8 days with the best day covering 407miles. I had to replace the rear pinion bearing oil seal , replace the trans oil with dextron 111 and remove the air regulator in the steering circuit. These changes made a vast improvement to the performance. It was a great trip. My wife and I enjoyed it all the way. Thanks for the inquiry

sigo

Lieutenant Colonel
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Awesome! Congrats. Any problems at the border? There had to be at least some funny questions and comments.