• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

3053 trans, OD or not?

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was under my truck today and noticed that I have a 3053 transmission. I searched and found that some say a 3053 isn't OD and a 3053A is. Others say all the 3053 series are OD. The truck that I sold had a 3053A in it and both seem to run the same speed wise so I'm pretty sure a 3053 is OD. Am I right?

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What is the differance between a 3053 and a 3053A? Is the "A" just a newer model?

Recht71

The 3053a as a differnt gear ratio up to 4th 6.00 1st 3.31 2nd 1.89 3rd 1.00 4th o.85 5th
3053 5.90 1st 3.10 2nd 1.70 3rd 1.00 4th .85 5th Both of my duces are 1970 and has these trnamissions . I just finished putting a 741 Spicer Aux tarns behind my transfer.It will give me a 17% overdrive.A test drive soon I have to turn the fuel up . I also set all spec's on the engine to 5 ton spes's

comdiver

I have a Spicer 5831 that needs a home. Bobbed deuce behind the transfer? Do you have any photos Recht? It would be a great time for me to do it, I still need to make the driveshaft.

Recht71

Good choice I couldn't find a 5831 aux around here That has 0.73.1. I do taking more today just finished yesterday evening the last weld. The 5831 is alot shorter then what I used. I had 23 inches to deal with for two shafts. Fort wayne Clutch got it done . I don't know how to post Pictures yet . My E-mail is rssnowlake@aol.com. If you want send your address and I'll send you some pictures. I have a Vietnam friend In Cambriage NY Soon I'll post the results and all the Part #,s of the shafts . I used the 7041 it .83 over the 6041 .86 high . The 741 is a larger Aux biggers better ?? I also had to move the air tanks back to the next opening .With the samller box might not have to.

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
you will have to run the main trans in 4th (direct) to use the 5831,this will give you better od than stock but lots of work to do it. the 7041 still gives too much od. the 6041 is doable but is real high and probably usable only on very level roads.

.69 final od ratio is all the multi can handle, that is why my od gear sets are .71

Recht71

I think I can't figure this I thought I did The 5831 behind a 3053 or 3053a will give you a 27% od in forth in fifth might be to much. The 6041 behind one of those transmissions since it already has a 15% overdrive the another aux would give you 14% = 29% over drive . That is the same as .71 od so if it works in one it should work the same . A .69 is all a muti-fuel can handle thats a 31% over drive . With the 7041 I'll have a 33% over drive I'll try for that extra 2%. We have two gun Trucks out there The ACE and the Wild Thing both Trucks run over 75 with 26% over drive.The ACE weights 28000 The WildThing 26800 The duce 13800.With the modifcations I did to the duce engine I feel it will get up to speed fine.Takeing the bed off,moving the air tanks and waiting for the Drive shafts to be made was the hard part .When I get out on the road I'll post the outcome ,got a ways to go , get it painted in side and out and the seats back in it. Sergent Major I did take pictures today if you want them . Randall Recht

MarcS

Randall, I'd also like to hear some numbers and performance data after a road test. Pictures would be great too. I'm wondering how you mounted the second stick and all the linkage.

Recht71

All I care about is direct and high working on that . When I get the inside painted seats back in and bed bolted down I'll take it on a test run.

MarcS

If you are shifting from direct to OD in the aux. while on the fly how are you doing that? It would be sweet to be able to split gears progressively. For example 1st direct, 1st over, 2nd direct, 2nd over, 3rd direct, 3rd over, and so on. Is that how you've got it figured or are you going to just use it as a double over when you get the main into 5th?

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
you are confusing % with ratio, to get your final ratio multiply the .78 you already have times the ratio of the aux box. you need the aux to have .91 to .88. any more than .88 just won't work, there is not enough torque. you are deluding yourself and others to think any deuce will run 75 with what you say is 26% od, it is just not possible. i have done years of research and built several trucks to test this. 50% od is final trans ratio of .66, 3000 rpm then gives 74 mph. this was with a cat 3208 which had much more power and was needed for that ratio.

Recht71

The Wildthing and Ace are 5 tons . They both have been out to Branson Mo. Far east to Norfork VA. I dont know how fast the duce will run yet.And if it dosen't I'll let people know.'

Recht71

Tom You last post is bull you don't know me .I'm A Vietnam Vet That servied with the WILDTHING gun Truck in Nam in71 .We now have cloned and take it all over the country the last three and a half years .Mybe my calulations aren't what you think is right Thats ok . To say I'm deluding myself and other about the speed of the duce , is wrong.I think your wrong but I'm not posting that I think your misleading . I'm telling what I'm doing and said from the begining I haven't test drove it yet.So I don't how fast or slow it will run. And I will post the out come. How I come up with my calulations on the Wildthing The trans we put in her, in fifth the input shaft turns one the out put one and quarter plus. To me thats 26% .It turns a little over a Quarter more. And I'm sure that not how you calulated and thats ok. And We took it on the first test drive she fell flat on face in fifth.Now she'll run over 75 on the flat and pull moderate hills fine.The ACE will run faster and there's members of this site that been with the ACE. It runs 65 at about 2300 to 2400 tacks bounces a little.I did forget to mention in the ealier post the Wildthing and ACE were 5 tons even though I did post the weight. Your opinion is noted I hope your wrong cause I've already installed it. Randall Recht

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Recht71 said:
The 3053a has a different gear ratio up to 4th 6.00 1st 3.31 2nd 1.89 3rd 1.00 4th 0.85 5th
3053 5.90 1st 3.10 2nd 1.70 3rd 1.00 4th .85 5th Both of my duces are 1970 and has these trnamissions .
I don't have any 3053 to look inside, but have seen many 3053As, as well as 3052s.
The gear ratios you are giving for the 3053A are not accurate. (Sometimes the data from the books is confusing, too)
See pics. The math to calculate the resulting ratio is easy: for example take 5th (o.d.) of the 3053A: its 25 div.46, times 42 div.29 = 0.79:1 (0.787106....) Or reverse of same tranny: 45div.15, times 27 div.24, times 42 div.29 = 4.89:1 (4.88793....)
Note that R, 1st, 2nd and 3rd gear sets are the same part#s, common to all models. The different ratio for those lower ranges results from input and counter-gear being different.
(For the same reason it also affects PTO speed, so M35A2's have faster winches, too!)

So the ratio numbers are:
  • 3052: R 7.36 1st 7.55 2nd 4.18 3rd 2.45 4th 1.46 5th 1.00
  • 3053A: R 4.89 1st 5.13 2nd 2.78 3rd 1.62 41h 1.00 5th 0.79

I hope someone can get the info for the 3053 (no A), to compare with...

Gerhard

Attachments

Last edited:

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
randall, i'm just giving you facts. it is obvious you are just guessing about ratios and comparing 5 tons to 2 1/2 tons. a stock deuce will never go 75 ever. it is just impossible. mine runs 62 at 2500 rpm and just has enough power to be accepable with .71 od gear set in trans. if you add bigger tires or change the trans ratio to let it go faster it will have NO power on even slight hills. go ahead and try it, you will have a different story after it does not work.

Driver523

I've been involved with these replica gun trucks for years now, I have over 10,000 miles in them across the United States, over 14 states, We started putting the Mack tranny behind the Multi fuels and turning up the fuel enough to carry the truck, now here's what I have seen, We have done two trips on the Ace over 2200 miles each and the only time we have had to pull over was we threw the belts and even then we were moving again in15 er 20 mins, the truck runs unbelievable, we run hiway speeds all day long, passing cars and trucks alike, with the Mack tranny behind the Multi there is a bigger space between 4th and 5th but the truck handles it fine ( just have to down shift a little more) this tranny is giving the Multi 26% OD, I have--like I stated many miles on the hiway and running around at 50 or 55 mph pissed alot of people off, and now running at speed they seem to love to see us out there, the Ace is about 28.000 pounds without crew and its crewed when ever we're on the road, what Mr. Recht is tell the members of this site you can take to the bank, as he said he has not had the truck on the road yet but he is not doing anything with that deuce that we haven't done with the 5 tons, The Ace of Spades and the Wild Thing are 5 tons and have run many, many miles together---look at the photo below, look at the tach, speedo, and shifter this is a M-54 multi fuel and we run as you see the intraments ALL day long with only breaks to eatand take care of the call, one trip from eastern Tn. to the Iola show and a few other places we were 11 days on the road----I can go on an on----its not really that hard to bring these trucks up to speed and there are numerous ways to do it---------come to the Gathering in Pigeon Forge and take a ride on a gun truck--------Photo below is the Ace on a return trip from a Gathering at Fort Eustis-----------Driver

Attachments

Driver523

Stock?? is'nt the same engine (when a Multi fuel) in the duce and five ton?---try setting the duce multi to 5 ton multi specs, then with the turbo, horsepower, and fuel you'll be able to carry more gear----We'll see---but my money is on Mr. Rechts deuce, if you change anything, even internal gear sets I don't think it would be fare to say the truck is stock--also---I think you can get to the same conclution a few different ways---you can do the math and thats fine and probably a bit more acurate, but when you turn the input shaft one turn--and that turn comes out a turn and a quarter (actually just a bit more) theres 25 or so % some where----I'll wait now to hear from Randys test drive, and if that dog don't hunt you'll see my aplogy right here---Driver