• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

395's and hubs on my Deuce ! What I think about the upgrade.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Ehh. I have yet to get a flat on my MVs. I know it will happen at some point, but thats why I have a spare. I would worry more about the brakes going out, or a bearing going bad, or punching a hole in the block.

Jimma

I have the 395's on mine and have been having issues with front end shimmy and bouncing at speeds above 40. I checked the drag link and its fully tightened. I then checked the shocks, they looked nice, but....after pulling them found they are shot. They do not respond and push back out. I changed them with a set of napa#66903's made by Monroe and the ride is so much better. They cost about $43 each at NAPA. This is the 3rd truck I have put them on and they have worked very well. I still have a few shimmy issues so I will check the tire pressure next and experiment with that. I can say that with the 395's it steers much better.

goldwing2000

Banned
He has 4 more spares
Yeah, that. Plus if one does blow out, I'm less likely to lose control.

Plus, too... by all accounts, duals have better traction than singles so if I go with 10 Michelin XL 11.00R-20s, I'll be unstoppable. :mrgreen:

On a sad note, I found today that one of the XLs I already have has a slow leak, so I have to break it down and patch the tube. :cry:

Wonder if anybody in MI has the appropriate tire irons and wedges... :doh:

Maybe I'll get lucky and find out it's just a bad valve core!

treeguy

"Plus if one does blow out, I'm less likely to lose control.

Plus, too... by all accounts, duals have better traction than singles so if I go with 10 Michelin XL 11.00R-20s, I'll be unstoppable. :mrgreen:"

RIGHT?!!!!!!

The Gov. had swapped my rear hubs, but I almost want to flip them back and run dual 11.00/20s. I do agree though that the 395's look so awesome, but I don't think that I'll go that route.

This thread is full of great info, keep wrenchin' guys!

tm america

Duals have more traction?."hmmm.last time I checked you get less ground pressure with duals and they pack up with mud and snow between the duals resulting in little or no traction.I have run my truck with duals and singles and you couldn't pay me to go back to duals.night and day...singles win in almost every situation

goldwing2000

Banned
Duals have more traction?."hmmm.last time I checked you get less ground pressure with duals and they pack up with mud and snow between the duals resulting in little or no traction.I have run my truck with duals and singles and you couldn't pay me to go back to duals.night and day...singles win in almost every situation
Depends on the tire and the terrain, really. If you have something with a bottom (snowy road, shallow mud) then a thinner tire does find the bottom and grab. But in a situation where a bigger contact patch is desired (sand, soft soil with no base, etc), the wider tires rule. They're also better on the road. Keep in mind that I'm talking about Michelin XLs, here, not NDTs. NDTs aren't good for much of anything besides dry pavement!

Also, duals can be used as a rear-mounted winch. Hook a cable on one of the hand holes and spin your way to terra firma! :mrgreen:

rrrr

I have the 395's on mine and have been having issues with front end shimmy and bouncing at speeds above 40. I checked the drag link and its fully tightened. I then checked the shocks, they looked nice, but....after pulling them found they are shot. They do not respond and push back out. I changed them with a set of napa#66903's made by Monroe and the ride is so much better. They cost about $43 each at NAPA. This is the 3rd truck I have put them on and they have worked very well. I still have a few shimmy issues so I will check the tire pressure next and experiment with that. I can say that with the 395's it steers much better.
when you replaced the shocks did that help with the bounce or did it stay the same. I'm thinking about droping my tire pressures to 50psi also. The toe in adjustment made a big difference. On rough narrow roads it still feels loose on the steering at 50mph or more.

Last edited:

treeguy

How fast are you guys running your trucks? 50 mph? like crusing at 50 mph for long periods? wow, I had turned up my fuel 1 1/4 turns for a little more power with 11/20 tires because she had no spunk, but I don't feel comfortable with running over 40 to 45 mph, I'm scared to death of blowing something. It will go 50 but I get overly cautions. What do ya think?

Cleptomaniac

I run 395s and my truck likes 61mph. Thinking about 1400s :driver:
Question if you let air out of the tires the diameter gets smaller. So the road speed goes down.
My question is 80psi down to say 55-60 is their enough speed loss to worry about?

Cleptomaniac

2350rpm = 60mph in my truck and yes its a bobber i would like to run 65+ (new brake sys first) Im on the road 6-8mo a year and would love to drive it to the jobs that are close (3-5hrs) from home.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks