• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

395's and hubs on my Deuce ! What I think about the upgrade.

rrrr

I will look into the toe in to get rid of some of the loose feeling. I did tighten up the steering box and change the tire pressure to 60psi just didn't get a chance to check it out.

wikallen

Wow, when did Andy get his web page built? Andy and his dad are great to work with. They had my 11.00x20s loaded onto my trailer faster then I could get the straps out.

hdexpert

The tires look great, can't wait to do something like this to my deuce!! What type of tubes did you use? I just bought a pallet of 14.00-20 butyl tubes and I'm trying to figure out if they can be used with radial tires.

rrrr

The tires look great, can't wait to do something like this to my deuce!! What type of tubes did you use? I just bought a pallet of 14.00-20 butyl tubes and I'm trying to figure out if they can be used with radial tires.

No tubes with Hemmt rims.

Andy and "DAD" are great guys. The 813 he has on his web site is awesome and looks even better in person. [thumbzup]

rrrr

Went for a 100 mile drive. I have the pyrometer and boost gauges hooked up. Runs down the road great. I now do 58 to 60mph which seems to be the sweet spot. EGT runs about 950 and boost about 7. I am going to put on the 70mph speedometer so that I don't spin the cable or do damage to the unit. I'm not going to up the IP. Going up hill the highest EGT I saw was 1150 uphill with the rpm's declining. At 58mph my rpm's are about 2250-2300 which seems to work well with the setup. I thought about just doing 55mph but the truck seems happier a little faster. Going up hills at 58 to 60 I loose less mph and the truck seems to like it better. I need to adjust the front wheel toe-in yet.

Jimma

Did it help any tightening up the steering box and other stuff? What exactly did you do. I just put 395's on mine this week and have some shimmy and bounce. I need to know what to do.

rrrr

Tightening up the steering box did help a little. I also lowered the tire pressure to 60psi which helps the bounce. I need to adjust the toe-in and see if that takes care of the rest. The TM describes how to do both. I'll post up when I get the toe-in done with results. Won't get to it until probably Thursday.

Hooty481

I just got my tires mounted on my truck and they seemed to have a little bounce as well and the steering seemed alot more responsive which I thought was a little better then with my 900's NDT's

rrrr

Thank you for mentioning this! I'm new to the Deuce and I've experienced that hop three times and thought that I had major front-end damage.

Now I'm thinking that the $500+ for the hubs may be a reasonable investment.

Yes they are !

Its a great upgrade. I went with the AVM. I think someone has some on the classified forum for $500.

goldwing2000

Banned
Yes they are !

Its a great upgrade. I went with the AVM. I think someone has some on the classified forum for $500.
I'll check that out. C&C has them all the time for just over $500, so I should be able to find some whenever I'm ready.

Two questions:

1: Any reason you chose AVM over other brands?
2: What made you choose HEMMTT wheels over A3 wheels?

rrrr

The AVM where the most reasonable and available. Quality is good.

I wanted to install 395's and the Hemmt wheels are best for that. Great deals packaged ready to go. Andy at army6x6.net was my guy for them. Drove up to get them myself.

rnrracing

Did you notice much torgue loss with the new tires? How would you think it would effect it pulling a heavy trailer? I am looking into the 395's but am still asking questions before I make the plunge.

rrrr

Did you notice much torgue loss with the new tires? How would you think it would effect it pulling a heavy trailer? I am looking into the 395's but am still asking questions before I make the plunge.
I'm sure there will be an impact on towing. You've increased the rotating mass considerably. If you do a lot of heavy towing I wouldn't recommend the 395's. I would however think that putting 11.00's on stock rims would be good. You shouldn't loose too much and still get an extra 4 or 5mph out of it. If you single the rears with 11's and put on hubs should be even better . You will loose some cargo capability and might have some stability issues with singles. Search the forum. Lots of guys towing stuff. I have not done any towing.

If I were towing I would flip the hubs, single the rears with 831's, and put front hubs on. Another option would be to go to A3 rims and tires with hubs.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks