• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

4 Hour Oil Change

partime

I had The same problem with my m1009......The a## that put it on even dated it and drew a smile on the end of the filter aua

Sasquatch

I've never had an issue with Fram, I've always used 'em because it's what my Dad always had on the shelf growing up. When I went to change my oil for the first time, the only filter wrench I had was too small to fit it and I used a regular C-clamp to grab the end and that worked to loosen it up.

bigzirb

Thats bad but its scarrier when a buddy asks if you can help with an oil change and he drives over in the (just purchased) truck needing the oil changed. I climbed under it and pulled the drain plug on the pan and NOTHING came out. Dodge Dakota with 318 and 42,000 miles that didn't make any strange noises. Prior owner had NEVER checked the oil or had it changed. Oil light in the dash was burnt out from always being on.
Took and hour to get the filter off and 3 hours of using oil and diesel mixes to flush as much gunk out of the engine as we could without pulling the oil pan. I told him it probably needed a rebuild, or at least the pan pulled to check the main bearings, but since it didn't make noises he declined to do anything else to the engine.

NRGarrott

Wow, that is pretty wild Bigzirb. There is a guy at work that just got his oil changed at some quick place and they put his quart of lucas oil in it, like he asked. Then they gave him his keys back. The car made it 12 days before throwing a rod. Not too bad.

cucvrus

This thread was interesting and I relived the entire scenario on a Camaro oil filter. I was not the one that started taking it off. It was brought to me to get off. the whole time they were trying to get it off they were turning it the wrong way. Today the oil filter on the red CUCV broke off flush with the block. A C Delco and the dealer was changing the oil. HA. they called and I told them get it off. They changed the oil last time. Said the guy that changed it quit and sabotaged a couple vehicles they figure mine was one. They had a Honda they had to change the entire filter adapter. it snapped off. Imagine that. It was worth the $61. to have them do it.

Drock

This thread was interesting and I relived the entire scenario on a Camaro oil filter. I was not the one that started taking it off. It was brought to me to get off. the whole time they were trying to get it off they were turning it the wrong way. Today the oil filter on the red CUCV broke off flush with the block. A C Delco and the dealer was changing the oil. HA. they called and I told them get it off. They changed the oil last time. Said the guy that changed it quit and sabotaged a couple vehicles they figure mine was one. They had a Honda they had to change the entire filter adapter. it snapped off. Imagine that. It was worth the $61. to have them do it.
As a kid I worked at a Jiffy lube, and a Texaco Xpress lube. Each did about 30 cars per day. I saw A LOT of wacked out things & people working at those places.:shock: But I never had an oil filter I couldn't get off, or on. We used oil filter pliers, they come in 2 sizes, here's what they look like...........https://www.walmart.com/ip/CTA-Tool...62769&wl11=online&wl12=41094105&wl13=&veh=sem

cucvrus

The base plate was on the block. The can cup came right off. Twisted off clean. I seen it on a 396 I had in the 70's but never since. I have them pliers and the Snap-On strap socket that gets tighten the tighter you turn. Never had one I can't get off. used it on my engine's also.

snowtrac nome

As a kid in the 80's I worked at a Texaco station, I remember a rash of new gm vehicles that came through the shop[ for their first oil change. They had oil filters installed at the factory with dry gaskets we had to use air chisels to get them off. We literally ripped the housings off every one trying to remove them.

Drock

As a kid in the 80's I worked at a Texaco station, I remember a rash of new gm vehicles that came through the shop[ for their first oil change. They had oil filters installed at the factory with dry gaskets we had to use air chisels to get them off. We literally ripped the housings off every one trying to remove them.
Yeah I worked at those shops in the early 90's. The new Chevy Lumina vans were like that. And also one of the more difficult filters to get to, to bootaua

Hasdrubal

About this "I use Fram filters because that's what my dad used in 1970." When i first got my M1009 I used them too, that is until I read a filter comparison where they cut them apart. Fram might have been good back then, not anymore. I've been using Wix ever since.

cucvrus

I use A C Delco 99% of the time. Last time I changed Terminus oil it was 2 gallons of Rotella T and a free Rotella oil filter. Good deal. I had some cores to return and ended up leaving with the oil , filter , and $40. more then I came with. It all worked out. Got the discount also.

Sharecropper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
On a more serious note, several years ago I saw an ad somewhere regarding a remote diesel engine oil filter. The normal oil filter was removed and an adapter was permanently screwed back into the same spot. The filtration unit mounted on a frame rail and had a clear sight glass, and also provided a small level of additional cooling. The filtration efficiency was so good, the oil remained looking new. The filter actually removed all the carbon and was really amazing. Any body ever see anything like this?

Lonnie

I had a filter that I crushed trying to get it off with the jaw type tool until it finally slipped, then tried a screwdriver that finally tore the filter in half. I then removed the rest with pliers, down to the base & tried to use a chisel to turn it.... Unfortunately there was not enough room due to the exhaust to get a good angle on it. I eventually made a spanner wrench out of flat bar & 2 5/16" bolts that would go in the small holes inside the gasket. That & a 1/2" drive ratchet finally took it off. As you said, it was a frustrating experience. I was afraid that I was going to break the filter adapter since I had so much torque on it.

Drock

On a more serious note, several years ago I saw an ad somewhere regarding a remote diesel engine oil filter. The normal oil filter was removed and an adapter was permanently screwed back into the same spot. The filtration unit mounted on a frame rail and had a clear sight glass, and also provided a small level of additional cooling. The filtration efficiency was so good, the oil remained looking new. The filter actually removed all the carbon and was really amazing. Any body ever see anything like this?
There are several remote oil filter kits on the market, you just have to order one for a 454 chevy engine. Here's a basic one....https://www.summitracing.com/int/pa..._-shopping-_-srese1-_-derale-cooling-products

cucvrus

Suppose I was really concerned about having clean oil. Hypothetically I could mount 3 oil filters on each side of the inner fender. I would have really clean oil. Like an LP gas engine. I would never have to change it. I would have about 12 qts in the system. Reminds me of back in the early 80's when the 6.2 first came out and the state used them in highway trucks. We put a water filter in the heater hose lines on every 6.2 state truck we processed and I had to put and hour meter in the dash of each one and split each alternator for signal a pick up point for the hour meter. Jut funning you. Have a great day.

Jozseph

Sharecropper,

Are you thinking about the "Oil REFINER" filter by Frantz?

Also known as Toilet Paper Oil Filters

See: http://www.toiletpaperoilfilter.com

Regards

Joseph

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks