• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

4" Ram Air Scoop for deuce

Ford Mechanic

Got guages hooked up and retested with original mushroom cap. Didn't see any real hint of vacumm and I did get it videoed, but it got too late to read the guage during the test with the new scoop on even with the video camera and a flashlight. Also had to pick up a exaust clamp to secure the scoop to the air box, a turbo style clamp wouldn't compress the pipe at all, allowing the scoop to turn upwards during the drive. Reinstalled and resecured it today during lunch with a exaust clamp. One thing I did notice after watching the test drive videos(what I could see of the 2nd one) during the drive with the new scoop was the Egt's dropped at highway speed, anywhere from 20*-50*. Can't say I noticed any extra power that I can really attribute to it. I did notice some intake noise coming from it at idle that it didn't have before. It was a low, kind of thrumming noise, only loud enough that you could hear it walking around that side. Kind if like the intake noise you get on a passenger vehicle when you install a cold air intake kit, sounds better though.

I'll try video the test this afternoon if the wind lays like it did yesterday, but I have some plans otherwise that may keep me from doing it.

So the verdict's still out on if it's helped any but it get 2 thumbs up from me cause it I like the way it looks weather it gives any ram air effect or not. I think it'll look even better when mounted up by the exaust pipe, but that will have to wait for anouther day.....[thumbzup]

Last edited:

Ford Mechanic

Looks great, Very happy with it, held up real nice, no extra noise, I've not noticed any significant performance gains, but if you look where I've put it for the time being I don't think it's getting all the air it could. In the works a little farther down the road is a snorkel kit to relocate it higher and get it into some cleaner air.DSCF4593.jpg

Diecorpse

I plan on making my own snorkel. I have seen other threads using pvc. When I get to that point, I will search the vent aisle at Menards and make something work. I like the kits but I wouldn't mind custom making my own. Nice trucks to those that posted pics!!

silverstate55

Unemployable
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Are you guys all up-sizing your exhaust pipes too?

Everyone knows you you can't put more in, than can come out.
Yes.

Finally got some pics of my 4-inch snorkel & air intake setup, as well as my 5-inch exhaust with Donaldson M100465 muffler. I cut the exhaust elbow about 3-inches from the turbo end and welded on a 3.5" to 5" adapter. I used Donaldson exhaust clamp bands from that point on to secure the exhaust pieces. I took some cut-off pieces of 5" exhaust pipe and used it to form a heat shield to protect the wiring in the area. I also slipped some Parker heat shield silicone wrap around the wiring in the area of the starter & exhaust, then sealed it up with black silicone adhesive. I wrapped the new exhaust pipe in header wrap with lava rock; it works VERY WELL. I had to modify the stock Deuce exhaust mount near the passenger windshield; I straightened it for the new muffler to fit. I also had to re-bend the front 2 mirror support braces.

I formed a new air intake double elbow from the air filter to the turbo out of 4-inch tubing, for more efficient air flow. I found some silicone hose adapters on eBay (the price was right, so I didn't care about the colors). I just wanted more efficient air flow in and faster exhaust gas exit for lower EGTs. The EGTs have dropped dramatically with the new exhaust, so I'm very happy with it. But, while looking at the air filter, I noticed that it is only rated for 410cfm, so a future upgrade will be a fender-mounted air cleaner with a higher CFM rating. The snorkel intake cap is rated at 720cfm+.

It has dramatically lowered the exhaust decibels; I don't need to wear hearing protection in the cab under the soft-top anymore, and the sound is pretty cool. I'm very happy with it overall. Now it's time to do the same exhaust setup on my M931A2.

20140406_01e.jpg 20140406_01.jpg 20140406_01a.jpg 20140406_01b.jpg

20140406_01d.jpg 20140406_01c.jpg

Last edited:

rustystud

Yes.

Finally got some pics of my 4-inch snorkel & air intake setup, as well as my 5-inch exhaust with Donaldson M100465 muffler. I cut the exhaust elbow about 3-inches from the turbo end and welded on a 3.5" to 5" adapter. I used Donaldson exhaust clamp bands from that point on to secure the exhaust pieces. I took some cut-off pieces of 5" exhaust pipe and used it to form a heat shield to protect the wiring in the area. I also slipped some Parker heat shield silicone wrap around the wiring in the area of the starter & exhaust, then sealed it up with black silicone adhesive. I wrapped the new exhaust pipe in header wrap with lava rock; it works VERY WELL. I had to modify the stock Deuce exhaust mount near the passenger windshield; I straightened it for the new muffler to fit. I also had to re-bend the front 2 mirror support braces.

I formed a new air intake double elbow from the air filter to the turbo out of 4-inch tubing, for more efficient air flow. I found some silicone hose adapters on eBay (the price was right, so I didn't care about the colors). I just wanted more efficient air flow in and faster exhaust gas exit for lower EGTs. The EGTs have dropped dramatically with the new exhaust, so I'm very happy with it. But, while looking at the air filter, I noticed that it is only rated for 410cfm, so a future upgrade will be a fender-mounted air cleaner with a higher CFM rating. The snorkel intake cap is rated at 720cfm+.

It has dramatically lowered the exhaust decibels; I don't need to wear hearing protection in the cab under the soft-top anymore, and the sound is pretty cool. I'm very happy with it overall. Now it's time to do the same exhaust setup on my M931A2.

View attachment 487633 View attachment 487634 View attachment 487635 View attachment 487636

View attachment 487638 View attachment 487637
Hello silverstate55, I like your system ! What size is the adapter you used on the turbo inlet ? I see the pipe is 4" , but what is the inlet on the turbo ? Also where did you get it ? Name names please. Thanks, rustystud.

silverstate55

Unemployable
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hello silverstate55, I like your system ! What size is the adapter you used on the turbo inlet ? I see the pipe is 4" , but what is the inlet on the turbo ? Also where did you get it ? Name names please. Thanks, rustystud.
It's just a silicone adapter: 3" to 4". I got it from my local Parker distributor (All-Hose). HTH.

silverstate55

Unemployable
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks better than it did when I saw it! Man that muffler is huge! At least you got some paint on it now though.
LOL thanks! I had to disassemble everything when my starter decided to short out and take out most everything on that side of the engine...so when I put it back together with the heat shield & wrap I finally finished painting everything too. And I sealed up the windshield to minimize the rain instrusion, I thought we were going to have to abandon ship on the way down to see you (there was that much water coming in via the windshield area, more inside the cab than outside!).

Jeepsinker

That is a common occurrance for me here. Every time it rains it seems that I am on the road and I get a shower. Surprisingly enough I stayed dryer driving with the doors off of my truck in the last couple of rain storms.

Man that muffler is huge..... I thought my walker was to big at first. I think the muffler helped lower egt just in itself. Idk how but I have my fuel cranked and I'm only pushing 1200 if I really try pulling inclines..... I like the new u intake but is it necessary?

Jeepsinker I'd like to see a picture of no doors, I'll be building rock doors for my deuce like I used to run on my jeep.

Jeepsinker

Dan, if you haven taken your doors off yet, I would suggest you don't. Three of my hinge pins came out no problem, the fourth would not come out for anything. I actually had to torch off part of the hinge just to get the door off and broke off several screws in both the door and the body trying to beat the pin out even after heating with the torch and soaking in penetrating oil multiple times. If you are going to do it, first loosen the nuts all the way to being even with the bottom of the threads, then spray with penetrating oil and tap them up with a hammer. If they don't move relatively easily you are in for a headache. Way off thread topic here.... Anyway... Have fun!

silverstate55

Unemployable
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey silverstate is that snorkle 4" or 3.5"?
It is 4-inch. I upsized the U-shaped air intake pipe to try to increase air flow efficiency...the stock pipe was 3-inch, the new one is 4-inch. I'm not looking for big power gains just increased efficiency for the motor.

As for the exhaust, it helps lower EGTs quite a bit but some mountain passes are pretty long & steep out here...I frequently have to downshift to 3rd gear for a long slow pull uphill. On one hill in Utah i have to downshift to 2nd in order to keep EGTs down. YMMV.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks