• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

4" Ram Air Scoop for deuce

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
How much actual opening(square inches) is there with that screen?

It looks like less than the original cap has.

How much testing have you done? Your ad says more power and mileage. I thought that truck was parted out and the motor sold.

Vintage iron

The opening is 4 1/2 tall x 9 1/2 wide. Not sure about the math. The stock 5 ton mushroom has a 1" wide opening around the edge of the cap.

As far as testing it I did this mod. Last year and drove the truck to the COMVEC show in Chester CT, the Weare Rally in NH, the Natick Show in Ma, the Quonset point show in RI and a few other trips to Meridan CT. to see my Marine Corp. buddy and have breakfast with other SS members. So I have driven about lots of miles with my truck after I put the scoop on and in all kinds of conditions. It is not a turbo, but I feel it helps get more air where it needs to go. If they didn't do anything I am sure the commercial truck companies wouldn't put air scoops on their vehicles. I hope this helps! Thanks for all the interest! :)

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I mistakenly thought this was something new.

I think you do have a good looking item.

I was just curious how long you had "tested" it.

I'll admit, sometimes the "cool factor" is the key to success!

DeucesWild11

I like the way yours looks. Do you have a way that the water can get out if you're driving in the rain? The way the Donaldson is designed it let's the water out and away from getting in the 4" pipe.

Ford Mechanic

How much actual opening(square inches) is there with that screen?

It looks like less than the original cap has.

How much testing have you done? Your ad says more power and mileage. I thought that truck was parted out and the motor sold.
At idle the engine shouldn't be consuming enough cfm's for it to be a restriction. As far as running down the road, I'll give my 2cents worth.....If you are familar with the principle of airflow across a opening creates a vacum in the opening, as a example I have a A/C evac too that uses shop air and that princible to pull 30in of vacum. The mushrum cap on our M35's look to me like they could be sucuming to the same problem being they have air running past it at a 90* angle. I'd much rather have something that funnels air directly into the box. I don't know if my thinking is right or not, but I'll buy one betting on me being right and if I'm wrong at least I've got a cool looking intake cap. I'll do my best to gather data on both and post it and decide if it made an increase or not from there.

It'll be king of hard to measure felt power, but I can monitor EGT's. I'll probably just film it and take the readings off that. And to start with I'll just pop it on the same place the old cap came off of. Later I'll probably install a snorkle tube like one or 2 others here. Any one want to speculate on if increased airflow will lead to an increase or decrease in EGT's????

Ford Mechanic

Good idea Heath, and there's already a line plumbed inside the cab for that too that I could use to hook it up right? Talking about the airflow restriction guage line, I could temporaraly hook something to that to colltect that kind of data. I do have a hand vacum pump, I'll hook it up and try it this weekend to see if we're pulling a vacum, mabey even get a baseline reading.

Carlo

IMG_1115[1].jpgI like this ram cap. I made the change to the high induction and noticed or heard more turbo wine (if that was possible haha). I never liked the exit at the hood and more than oonce I had the air filter plug with snow being sucked in.

Vintage iron

I had some question on how I built my bottom plate. This is what I did to the bottom plate. I pushed the tube up into the plate to make a dam. The tall section of the dam faces to the front. I felt it would keep rain from going right in the air cleaner, the small channel around the center tube works as a area to collect water. There is a 1/8" hole to the rear channel to let any water out, if there is any.

M813 parts 014.jpgM813 parts 013.jpg

rtbcoop

I noticed today that they have this same type of intake on streetsweepers. After a little research I found that they are based on the Freightliner FC70 and FC80 platforms which were originally cargo trucks. Also the Sterling SC7000 and SC8000. Problem is, I have no idea on the intake size for either. Anyone know what size these are or where we could purchase the intakes?

Ford Mechanic

Vintage Iron has the steel ones picured in this thread, here in the classfieds. Me and Repo I know have ordered one and are enthusiasticly waiting on them. Pics and a write up on how they were adapted to our trucks and if we noticed any difference coming shortly after.

Ford Mechanic

Took a base line reading today measuring the pressure or lack there of in my air filter housing. I tested using the line at the back of the filter minder. The results showed 0 in of vac. at all times in all gear ranges and speeds. I also checked my air filter minder for proper operation since I had it disconnected. It moved so that you could just see the orange line with just 1 in of vacum supplied to it and was pegged between 2 and 3 in of vac.

Took a base line reading today measuring the pressure or lack there of in my air filter housing. I tested using the line at the back of the filter minder. The results showed 0 in of vac. at all times in all gear ranges and speeds. I also checked my air filter minder for proper operation since I had it disconnected. It moved so that you could just see the orange line with just 1 in of vacum supplied to it and was pegged between 2 and 3 in of vac.
Ford, I'm sure mine is waiting for me in North Dakota when I get back... I'm home right now... what did you use for an adapter from the 5" to 4" ? I'm home, so I can run to a store and take it with me when I get back to work. It's difficult to find things and on my schedule when I get up there...

Ford Mechanic

Ford, I'm sure mine is waiting for me in North Dakota when I get back... I'm home right now... what did you use for an adapter from the 5" to 4" ? I'm home, so I can run to a store and take it with me when I get back to work. It's difficult to find things and on my schedule when I get up there...
Not got mine yet. That reading was with the original mushrum cap. Looks like my thoughts of a vacum being applied in the air box was busted. I'll check it before and after with a pressure guage instead of a vacum guage when I get mine.

I'm waiting for the intake now, but I think a 5in to 4 in reducer for exaust pipe will work for it, Vintage Iron's idea. I have a big truck parts shop acrossed the road here at work so when it comes in I'll get it straightened out as to inside diameter/outside diameter and sizes and will be sure to post it all.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks