• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

4" Ram Air Scoop for deuce

Heath_h49008

Hey do you think we can get some measurements and a little more up close pics of just the air scoop? I might try to fab one up out of steel, before I would shell out $150.
Do it! I would love to see an aggressive steel design!

4" diameter pipe, pressure box/scoop around that baffled in some way that prevents water from being directed into the intake, but out the bottom of the box without loss of pressure from the "ram."

Just angle the floor forward, and cut the inner pipe with a slash facing backward. Leave enough of the pipe inside the box to prevent water on the "floor" from running into the pipe before it runs out of the scoop.

Add some expanded metal as a grate on the front and voila'... ram air scoop.

silverstate55

Unemployable
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Seems like if its a ram air it will ram water equally while cruising at break neck speed. Should there be some type of fluid drain somewhere with a check like motorcycle and ATV airboxes have?
This is what I like about the Donaldson design & why I'll only use their air ram intakes. They have baffles at the back side of the intake that allows water to drain out of it. No water should reach your air filter housing...the Aussie truckers I've corresponded with over the years swear by them.

Of course it wouldn't hurt to work in a drain/trap/baffle design in case it does become an issue, or if it makes you sleep better at night.

If you look through the Donaldson literature about these, it illustrates how the design allows water to escape without going down the intake pipe. But then again, if the truck is parked & heavy winds & rain are in effect, it is possible for moisture to drain down the intake.

For what it's worth I just tried to place an order with Western Filter AU for one 4" Donaldson P/N H008154. They have only one method of shipping (AU Air Mail) and the shipping to California came to $86.40 Total.... $157.90 Ouch!
I wonder if the shipping would be less for an order of a couple of these? They're made out of plastic, shipping weight should be low. Maybe, splitting the shipping between several members. Then that member could flat rate them to others. Come this 20th, I'm ordering a few, regardless. I want one on my truck :)

Ford Mechanic

Do it! I would love to see an aggressive steel design!

4" diameter pipe, pressure box/scoop around that baffled in some way that prevents water from being directed into the intake, but out the bottom of the box without loss of pressure from the "ram."

Just angle the floor forward, and cut the inner pipe with a slash facing backward. Leave enough of the pipe inside the box to prevent water on the "floor" from running into the pipe before it runs out of the scoop.

Add some expanded metal as a grate on the front and voila'... ram air scoop.
Exactly the type of thing I had in mind

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Seems like if its a ram air it will ram water equally while cruising at break neck speed.
I doubt there's any ram air effect at all to these.

Years ago, a car magazine (I've looked all over and can't find it) did a test of a bunch of Sixties/Seventies musclecars (like Mopar Air Grabber/Ramcharger, Chevy Cowl Induction, Ford/Mopar Shaker, etc.) functional cold air systems and found none of them did anything until about 80mph (and most of them did nothing at all, due to the dead air zone/boundary layer/etc.).

Not many deuces going 80, unless the parachute fails after they were jettisoned from a C5.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Killjoy

Next you'll tell us that rear spoilers and flashy graphics do not increase speed either...

FWIW, I once gained 3.7 mph, by simply highlighting my tire lettering with white shoe polish.

Last edited:

Heath_h49008

Years ago, a car magazine (I've looked all over and can't find it) did a test of a bunch of Sixties/Seventies musclecars (like Mopar Air Grabber/Ramcharger, Chevy Cowl Induction, Ford/Mopar Shaker, etc.) functional cold air systems and found none of them did anything until about 80mph (and most of them did nothing at all, due to the dead air zone/boundary layer/etc.).

Not many deuces going 80, unless the parachute fails after they were jettisoned from a C5.
Thank you for my morning belly-laugh. :not worthy:

silverstate55

Unemployable
Steel Soldiers Supporter

Good point. I like 2 things about them: the ability to gather intake air above & away from the dust generated by the moving vehicle, and their higher CFM. I'm already noting a restriction with the stock Deuce mushroom intake cap, I hope to solve that with one of the Donaldson intakes caps.

The Aussies really started using these to avoid their filters getting choked up by the Outback's "Bull Dust." Modern 4x4's use them as a "snorkel" in hopes of being able to amphibiously assault the other sides of swollen flood waters (or God knows what). I, along with others here, have heard some pretty fantastic claims about these "snorkels" to assist a vehicle in fording water crossings. I had to have a serious sit-down with my Dad when he almost swamped his Toyota FJ by entering water too fast with his ARB snorkel...I had to remind him about several safety factors in doing something so silly, along with reminding him about other water-crossing factors: breather vents for axles/tranny/transfer case/etc. and the moving engine fan blade through water.

Long story made short is that these intakes have been recently popularized for their Perception Value overwhelming their Performance Value....they are intended to raise the air intake above the dust line to prolong your vehicle's air filter life, while adding more air intake CFM from that "cleaner" air. Most of us here know that its perception as a water-fording device is moot without a raised air intake point, extended breather lines for tranny/axles/transfer case/etc....

And I've also heard the claims that since the "snorkel intake" is now pulling in "cooler" air by being higher away from the pavement, you will see a performance & mileage increase for your engine....HOGWASH. You should see a performance gain if your engine is pulling an intake restriction & you subsequently remove/resolve said restriction...but the air temperature difference is negligible within the first 10-15 feet off the ground.

My current work vehicle has a hood scoop (cowl vent) on it...everyone who looks at it immediately thinks of Mad Max & that I've got some kind of on-off superturbochargerexciter on a stock engine underneath, and want to take a look at it; they're immediately disappointed when I raise the hood to show a totally stock engine compartment. Which leads to the now-tired explanation of ground heat in the desert in the summertime: the ground is typically 165-180 degrees (on average) in July & August afternoons, which the car is sitting right next to...since heat travels upward, what better way to vent that engine/brakes heat generated by a car driven hard than to allow it to continue on its upward journey, instead of trapping it against the underside of the hood? It helps, but it's not a cure-all...it allows us to drive for an extra 10 or 15 minutes hard in the summertime, in case we have a slow-learning or difficult student & need those few extra minutes for them to learn. Then it overheats like normal vehicles & we have to do cool-down loops at slow to moderate speeds to cool the engine/tranny/brakes.

So, like Clinto said, there is no performance gain from the "Ram Air Effect" while driving, other than the 2 purposes it was intended for: raise your air intake above the dust line generated by the moving vehicle & the increase in CFM.

DeucesWild11

Well I thought I noticed a performance gain at higher speeds 30-55. I was not downshifting as much to get up hills. Perhaps that's all in my head but also another true improvement over the standard mushroom cap is that the Ram air will not get covered in snow and clog the air intake. That is if you get allot of snow where you live.

Heath_h49008

Why ask why? It does get the intake out of the dust/water (for those who like to drown trucks,) it *might* offer a slight change in intake restriction...

But seriously, it just looks good.

A well designed one made by you looks even better. I want to see some designs!

[/ATTACH]
Hey do you think we can get some measurements and a little more up close pics of just the air scoop? I might try to fab one up out of steel, before I would shell out $150.
Ford Mechanic, I could ship you a "chinese knock off" that I just won off of ebay (haven't paid for it yet) if you're willing to look at making something out of metal. I would rather have something made out of metal myself, so if you're happy with what you come up with. I might ask you to make 1 for me, and we can settle up later for your time and supplies. It is NOT the 4" inlet tube we need, but 3.5", apparently that is the most common size for people wanting a snorkel. Having something in your hands could get your mind going. If you're interested hit me a PM and I'll pay for it and have it shipped directly to you. Here is a picture of it...

$(KGrHqRHJBQE8e25Stv0BPJ6WnrFNg~~60_3.JPG

Attachments

Last edited:

Ford Mechanic

I appreciate it Repo, but if I can get good pics and measurements of the one that works/looks really well that would be best. That way I know the opening in the front is the right size to feed the 4 in pipe. Plus then I'm sure it'll be proportioned correctly. I've got no problem making a couple if ya'll like them. I am restricted to working on it mainly at lunch though, they have a nice welder here plus the tables and vices. I'm thinking of making the body out steel diamond plate and the grate out of expanded steel, what do ya'll think? Even if it doesnt actually give any ram air effect at least it'll look bad ass.

As far as pics, I would apreciate a side, front, top, and bottom. As well as anything you can show me about the water drain at the back. The thread I first saw this in I think they said it had a baffle at the back with a drain to let the water out instead of one at the front. Some measurement would be great too.

I got to finish my step right quick and then I'll start playing with this. I should be done first of next week as long as nothing comes up. I took the lug tool/jack holder off turned it upside down and putting a piece of diamond plate on the end to use as a step. Mounting it level instead of at a angle and mabey later putting some sort of a tool box with a door or something there. I'll figure that one out later after looking around a bit.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Are you guys all up-sizing your exhaust pipes too?

Everyone knows you you can't put more in, than can come out.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks