• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

4" Ram Air Scoop for deuce

Ford Mechanic

Are you guys all up-sizing your exhaust pipes too?

Everyone knows you you can't put more in, than can come out.
Well what size is yours???:mrgreen:

Sorry souldn't resist.....

I was thinking about something last night with this thing, it's going to be hard to make sure that every little surface in this thing is painted so that it doesn't get a little rustly in the behind the baffles. Then it might start draining rusty water out and staining your exaust pipe, top, or windshield. Can ya'll think of any other way to drain it or make sure it gets properly coated on the inside?

I was thinking about something last night with this thing, it's going to be hard to make sure that every little surface in this thing is painted so that it doesn't get a little rusty in the behind the baffles. Then it might start draining rusty water out and staining your exhaust pipe, top, or windshield. Can ya'll think of any other way to drain it or make sure it gets properly coated on the inside?
Personally, I LOVE powder coat. I ordered a home Powder Coat gun from Summit Racing. I buy the powder coat from Harbor Freight for a few dollars. Then I wait for the wife to go to work, and I turn on the oven, powder coat 450 degrees for 45 minutes. She's never caught on I'm using the kitchen stove :) It's easier to heat the metal first, then shoot it, then bake it again for stubborn spots. *** WARNING *** It is addictive! I kept walking around the house looking for more things to powder coat. What I love about powder coat is the only mess left behind, you simply sweep it off and rinse your hands. When the powder comes out of the gun it naturally coats a nice layer for you, it's really forgiven. I've seen videos of guys doing their rims inside their BBQ pitts. Their is a slight smell when the paint is curing in the oven, give yourself an hour before the wife comes home to get the smell out :)

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-01-06100

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Stainless Steel

Ford Mechanic

Sorry no can do on the stainless, or aluminum. All I have axcess to is a mig welder for mild steel. But dipping or powder coat sounds good. I just have to get a little more room at the moment, we have cars packed in every where and I have a engine open in another bay. I don't want to be getting metal flake all over and in those!

I wonder if the shipping would be less for an order of a couple of these? They're made out of plastic, shipping weight should be low. Maybe, splitting the shipping between several members. Then that member could flat rate them to others. Come this 20th, I'm ordering a few, regardless. I want one on my truck :)
That's a NO-GO ghost rider, Jon Hope from Western Filters confirmed via email that no matter how many you order, it's the $50-60 EACH for shipping from AU. I emailed back to confirm if it was possible to put say (4) inside (1) box and he confirmed the shipping would be the same, $200-240. I just don't understand why this is since Donaldson is in the US...

silverstate55

Unemployable
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That's a NO-GO ghost rider, Jon Hope from Western Filters confirmed via email that no matter how many you order, it's the $50-60 EACH for shipping from AU. I emailed back to confirm if it was possible to put say (4) inside (1) box and he confirmed the shipping would be the same, $200-240. I just don't understand why this is since Donaldson is in the US...
Bummer....how badly do you want one...

Ford Mechanic

Vintage Iron has a great looking scoop on his truck!:drool: I asked to purchase it, and if it looks like something I can duplicate easy enough I'll make a couple!

Vintage iron

I will get some more pictures up tomorrow night. Of the scoop, Not my fiance' :). how would you guys like to get these scoops? option one: as them come from the fabricator, you will need to weld your air cleaner clamp to it. option two: I weld the collar on to fit your air intake. option three made to fit and finish painted. I am getting prices on shipping, I hope to get them in a flat rate box.

Ford Mechanic

I will get some more pictures up tomorrow night. Of the scoop, Not my fiance' :). how would you guys like to get these scoops? option one: as them come from the fabricator, you will need to weld your air cleaner clamp to it. option two: I weld the collar on to fit your air intake. option three made to fit and finish painted. I am getting prices on shipping, I hope to get them in a flat rate box.
Congrat's on your fiance[thumbzup], mine's a little harder to talk into pics.

What collar are you refering to? My truck has a 4 in pipe that has a couple of slots cut lenth wise in it and just a regular turbo clamp that's not welded on. Just a 4 in diameter pipe out the bottom about 6 in long would be fine for me, I'm thinking about doing the intake snorkle relocation so that will give me plenty of options. Unpainted will be fine and about how much $$ are we looking at? What would the cost be for one out of steel diamond plate vs the flat plate be by chance if possible.

Greatly appreciated,
Mike

Vintage iron

aluminum ram air scoop

Hey are some better pictures of my Air scoop. I welded a piece of 5" ID exhaust pipe to the bottom plate, made some slits to let it contact with the stock clamp and painted it Carc Green.

I spoke to the guys who made mine and I am going to offer them here in the classifieds. You will need to weld on the base of your mushroom cap and paint. I took me about a hour to do the work to mine. :)

M813 parts 001.jpgM813 parts 002.jpgM813 parts 003.jpg

Last edited:

Ford Mechanic

Hey are some better pictures of my Air scoop. I welded a piece of 5" ID exhaust pipe to the bottom plate, made some slits to let it contact with the stock clamp and painted it Carc Green.

I spoke to the guys who made mine and I am going to offer them here in the classifieds. You will need to weld on the base of your mushroom cap and paint. I took me about a hour to do the work to mine. :)

Appreciated! Just to let you know, the hole on the bottom needs to be for 4 in pipe. Our 2 1/2 tons have a different pipe size than you 5 ton, Looks great though. I'll be checking the classifieds but PM me I'll buy the first!

Was it a NO on the diamond plate steel option?

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks