• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

4 Speed Manual tranny and transfer case on Craig's List

aboonski

I am negotiating with a local who has advertised a totally rebuilt Muncie Rock Crusher four speed transmission and transfer case that came out of a 1987 Chevy pickup - not a CUCV by the way. I went over to look at the item and have never seen such a setup. Pictures on several web sites indicate that it is a New Process A833, not a Muncie. The case is cast iron and the shifter is on the side with shifting rods, etc. I was considering converting my CUCV into a manual transmission and have seen previous threads about the subject. I was wondering if anybody has had any knowledge or experience with the transmission that I have described? The ad is on the Space Coast Craig's List about three days ago. It just looks to be a light duty transmission but the guy indicates it has a granny gear for first but is not an overdrive unit. He has the bell housing which definitely bolts to a Chevy motor and the tranny bolt patern is bizarre! Should I shy away from this thing or what?

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
RE: 4 Speed Manual tranny and transfer case on Craig

I am pretty familiar with Chrysler 4 speeds.

There are no granny gear'd A833's. The deepest first gear on a NP833 is 3.09. That is for the 4speed OD transmissions.

got any pics from the ad? There is a machined pad on the passenger side, can he get you the #'s? If so, I can tell you what it is.

aboonski

Here's the ad that he placed on Craig's List:
i have a new rebuilt muncie rockcrusher tranny w/ transfercase that came out of my 87 chevy fourwheel drive truck with a 350. the motor blew in my truck just after i had the tranny and transfercase rebuilt i spent 2500 gettinig it done im not looking to get that back but will entertain offers and all types of trades comes with bellhousing and shift linkage thanks for looking 321-987-8872

LOGGJAM

as far as i know the rockcrusher was not put in a 4wd truck they were mainly car 4 speeds and it has a syncronized first gear which would not be a low or granny gear as we call them im not sure of the tranny model that was put in the lighter duty chevys but i know the SM465 was very popular for chevy blazers and pickups in fact every one that i have seen had this trans in it. Ford and crysler used new process 435's or borg warner T18's "top loaders" for most of the years 70-90. If you want to make your cucv stick i would look for the SM465 trans it has the low non-syncro first gear and a 1:1 ratio 4th...no OD. it would be the easiest install

LOGGJAM

Re: RE: 4 Speed Manual tranny and transfer case on Craig

aboonski said:
C-15453 on the tranny and C-15095 on the transfer case.

the trans with that number is a Saginaw trans 4spd...assuming with the "C" in front of teh number it would be a saginaw as well

aboonski

Thanks Mike! I happen to have a Muncie M22 rock crusher 4 speed so that's why I kind of saw red flags when I looked at the transmission this guy wanted me to buy. A granny gear would require a much larger case so I really think I will check out the tranny that I already have in a 79 K5 which is a four-speed manual - with a granny gear

aboonski

You are probably correct about the Saginaw transmission. I went to one web site that had pictures and descriptions of various manual transmissions and it looked like a New Process A833 which the author indicated was used in some GM applications, both 2WD & 4WD as well.

AJMBLAZER

There were some rare few odd sticks that GM used in the 80's. Believe this is one of them. One was a 4 speed OD that couldn't stand up to the power of a smog era V8 and another was a non-OD 4 speed that also lacked granny gear.

I agree, either go with a SM465 or find a NV4500 and get granny AND OD.

aboonski

Thanks for the info AJMBLAZER! I just wrote to the guy and informed him that I would not be interested in his transmission/transfer case combo. I have a 1979 K5 Blazer in the back yard that is a trailering special or something like that. It even has a factory roll bar in the back. The four speed in that one might be just what I need although I would have to acquire an aftermarket overdrive to get the total picture that I am looking for.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

Al, the 79 Blazer will have the SM465 and should be mated to an NP 205 case. I'd swap em in as a pair for sure.

kinetichotshot

My '83 1-ton Chevy has the granny geared non-OD 4-Spd (not sure which model at the moment, but I know that it is the HD Granny trans) and chain drive transfer case. Great setup, really strong, but willing to consider a trade for a solid 6-spd as this truck really needs to be more versatile (ie, needs both granny and highway...!) When I get a chance (may take a few days as I am not near home) I will get model #'s and pics for you if you think they will help.
Laterz,
Gator
>|--|~

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!

Gator, Find a deuce trans and your good to go. Low first and over drive. Then use a divorced Tcase. Problem solved.

aboonski

KENNY!!!!!

Hey thanks for that info about my 79 K5. I will probably get under that thing this morning and take a few digitals of the drivetrain to confirm what is in there. I guess all of the other stuff, pedals and linkage will bolt right into the CUCV. It's nice to have spare parts around even if you don't know what you have!

AJMBLAZER

I agree it's more than likely a SM465 and a NP205. Beef for sure. Just don't try to bench press them in together...learned that one the hard way on a friend's truck.

The '83 with the chain drive t-case...odd combo in a non-CUCV 1 ton. If it is a chain drive T-case it is probably a NP208 or a NP203...I'd take the 205 over either of them.

aboonski

Pictures of the tranny in the 79 K5

My car coral is really overgrown and I had a difficult time getting under the Blazer to get photos of the transmission. First of all, it is cast iron and not aluminum so I think this is good. I have no idea as to whether the present bell housing will bolt onto the 6.2 diesel and I am sure I will need a diesel flywheel at this point. This K5 even has a 12 bolt under the back end but not sure of the ratio or if it is a posi. Looks like I will have to pull this thing out and dismantle it to see just what I have. I really want an M1009 to put all of this into so that I can complete my little collection of MVs - there has to be a stopping point! Thinking about selling my M35A2C W/W but no idea of its value. I must have 12K in it right now, possibly even more! Because I am 61 years old and going on 62, just changing tires on the Deuce is a bear! Oh well!

I'll try to go over to that guy's house to get a photo of the transmission/transfer case that he has for those of you who are interested in seeing this exotic setup he has for sale. I am trying to make this a worthwhile thread because I am adding pictures!

Attachments

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
RE: Pictures of the tranny in the 79 K5

That sure looks like my 205! No pics of the trans? Prolly an sm465.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

I can tell by the shifter it's an SM465 and the case is a 205 for sure. Rock solid combination. Had the same combo behind a very healthy big block in a truck with 40's (back in the 80s). I could break just about anything but that combo held up to all I could gve it.

aboonski

Thanks guys! I'll soon be dismantling this K5 to get to the good stuff! Long range plans would include a Gear Vendors overdrive unit behind the NP205. Now all I need is a good M1009! I think I'll leave the M1008 the way it is for now. I appreciate all of the info from everybody. I was just about to go out an buy a lot of stuff that I already had in my own back yard!

kinetichotshot

Yeah, my T-case actually uses ATF as opposed to gear oil! It works very well (although with about 300k mi on it it is about ready for a rebuild kit). I think it is a variation of the "Quadra-Track" full time all wheel drive system that was on my 1977 J-20. Not sure though. When I get to it I will check the data plates and get pictures...
Laterz,
Gator
>|--|~

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks