• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

4 Speed Manual tranny and transfer case on Craig's List

n1bnc

RE: Pictures of the tranny in the 79 K5

Gator, Find a deuce trans and your good to go. Low first and over drive. Then use a divorced Tcase. Problem solved.

Has anyone done this mod themselves?

AJMBLAZER

kinetic Is it a big heavy sucker of a t-case or an aluminum cased unit? If it's aluminum it's probably the NP208 and if it's the big, heavy, iron cased chain driven t-case then it's the NP203 full time t-case of the 70's. Why someone would swap it into an 80's truck though...

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!

N1bnc, that is what I am installing behind a bbc in my M725. I got it from Tom(spicergear) here. Yes it has been done.

kinetichotshot

It is not the full time, It has 2hi, 2lo, 4hi, 4lo.... I have not taken it apart yet, but being chain drive, using ATF, and 4hi being capable of full time use (sortof... have to use the auto lock hubs, yuck, or expect some tire wear) It is the original equipment for the truck...
Now you all have me interested in the Deuce tranny and transfer... N1bnc & Gimpy... you guys are trying to get me in trouble...!!!

Laterz,
Gator
>|--|~

AJMBLAZER

That's not full time...and I wouldn't try to use it on dry pavement like you could a NP203 or the Quadrajunk in the Jeeps.

Sounds like a NP208 to me. The auto hubs were just something they slapped on in the 80's to keep the yuppies from complaining about having to get out and engage the hubs...but they usually died and aren't known for their durability.
That said I'm pretty sure the 73-87 GM 1 tons never got full time setups or auto hubs. Drive flanges were an option but they were still standard 4x4 without full time.

Any idea if the case is aluminum or iron? The 203 is iron and the 208 is aluminum.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

The fact that it has 2 Lo leads me to believe it's a 203. 205s and 208s have no 2 Lo provisions. As far as the K30s with full time 4x4 (203 case) that was standard with the auto trans from 77 thru 79 and might have varried over to 80.

AJMBLAZER

If it were a 203 it should say 2loc and 4loc shouldn't it?

A magnet would settle this debate at any rate.

A 203 wouldn't be in a '83 or behind a SM465 or any manual trans anyways.

CCATLETT1984

a 205 can have 2 low if you modify the shift rail by grinding it slightly, its been done many a time, you can also have front drive only just by modifying the shift rails and getting a third shift handle.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

203 wouldn't be in an 83 for sure, they have used them with the 465.

kinetichotshot

Ok.... Now you have me thinking.... Its been a while since I've moved the t-case shifter... might not have 2lo... I know that it is heavy having had to replace a clutch, but not sure if it is iron or aluminum... :( Again, When I get back to the truck I will look at all this and let you know.
Laterz,
Gator
>|--|~

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks