• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

4 speed trans conversion

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter

I wouldnt worry Joe...that's a new style takeout trans and tcase package you have in your pic.just drop it in and go...that cooler loops issue was from 199x, not sure it was an issue in anything 2000 and above.
Now that unit you have is like 2004 and up. I have some of the same packages. You can get the date off the tcase ID plate.

Action

On the back of the transfer case is a round metal tag with red around it. There is a build date on that. It is next to the plug with two wires in it. Can you post a pic of that?

Augi

Good luck towing anything heavy with the HMMWV. If you hit a .01% grade you'll slow down to 40 and be in 3rd gear anyway.

I pull my M101A3 empty and it's noticeable on flat highway.

Augi

racingjoe66

After all that I have been told, I don't plan on towing anything except my 17' bass boat that weights maybe 1,800 lbs. And when I go off roading, I will pull the hmmwv with my 1967 Jeep Kaiser the 20 miles round trip. It's crazy to think that they wouldn't have made these to be able to tow a little better.

Augi

They do what they were designed to do well. Convoy speed is 45 and off-road trailer speed was limited by the M101 trailer to 12 (strangely specific). M1101 trailers were supposed to raise that to 20.

Off-road they are great trucks. Take the same 18 year old and put him in a manual trans lifted civvy pickup or put him in one of these and the difference is clear. The skill required to drive the HMMWV passably is significantly less. You don't have to pick a good line over a lot of the obstacles where the pickup will get hung up if you don't plan and execute your route properly. The HMMWV is much more forgiving.

Augi

restlessrobie

Just a dumb question here, but a 700r4 would not work in place of the 4L80? I thought they were basically the same case, length etc.?
700R4 is very similar to the 4L60E most of the parts are interchangeable and the 700R4 can easily be converted to lock up in 4th gear with no computer ETC the weak point of the 700R4 is the front pump and earlier smaller splined input carrier. You will also need to fabricate a TV cable bracket and mounting set up but that should be easy to do. I run a 700R4 in my 76 K2500 truck but the cross member and drive shafts did have to be modified.

parklandtrans

You DO NOT want to do a Transmission conversion and put in a 4L60 trans (700R4)... Trust me when I say you will be satisfied with the 4L80E. Everything about this designation is above where you would ever be...in other words the torque capacity is so much higher then anything else out there...with the exception of the Allison Trans of course..!! Also, honestly all said and done the 3L80 (TH400) transmission is a **** strong and reliable unit itself..!!
when designing the 4L80E unit, all the factory did was take a tried and proven platform (TH400) and build upon it...that's all the 4L80E transmission is...a TH400 transmission on steroids...!! Trust me you'll be happy..!!

parklandtrans

Joe,
I hope your not getting overwhelmed by all the posts your recv. from all four corners of the country...a lot of info to take in and then try disseminate all of it...!!..Just kick back and relax, all will be ok...����

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You DO NOT want to do a Transmission conversion and put in a 4L60 trans (700R4)... Trust me when I say you will be satisfied with the 4L80E. Everything about this designation is above where you would ever be...in other words the torque capacity is so much higher then anything else out there...with the exception of the Allison Trans of course..!! Also, honestly all said and done the 3L80 (TH400) transmission is a **** strong and reliable unit itself..!!
when designing the 4L80E unit, all the factory did was take a tried and proven platform (TH400) and build upon it...that's all the 4L80E transmission is...a TH400 transmission on steroids...!! Trust me you'll be happy..!!
couldn't agree more on the TH400...they are one of the strongest trannys on the market.
My trans guy told me this years ago....the 4L80E is good, but nothing like a TH400 on durability.

racingjoe66

Nope not getting overwhelmed, just been on a 500 mile road trip today to pick up a trailer for the old man. Just finally getting home and on the computer. I have a 4L80E lined up to buy to put in it this winter. Just need to line up a shifter & drive shafts for it. If anyone has a good lead on a shifter and also part numbers for the driveshafts it would be great. I have found some shafts but all they list is a part # and say for an HMMWV is all.

I appreciate all the info and advice.

Action

Is the tranny you may buy from a humvee? or at least an H1? I would check into if the torque converter needs to be for your truck. I don't know for sure.

racingjoe66

Yes came out of a Humvee. I was told you need the driveshafts that go along with the 4L80E from the humvee but all I can keep finding is 3 speed ones. Or just ones with part numbers and I don't know how to check the numbers to see exactly what they fit.

TacMac2012

Just take your driveshafts and have the front lengthened and the rear shortened at a local driveshaft shop. If you have a decent shop they should be able to do it for cheaper than you can buy a new shaft.

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ok...you dont need to replace the front DS, just the rear and mid shaft....you will be hard pressed to find the 2 on the open auction sites, they do come up, but the old stuff is much more prevalent.
i just order the new ones...you can't cut or lengthen old ones. The mid shaft uses larger u-joints for the 242 tcase.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks