• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

4 speed trans conversion

Augi

My truck is a 1986. The fuel tank does not hit. The late models do have a slightly different tank but for the reason I mentioned above.

I bought a shifter from Greg. I think it may have cost me $250. It was a long time ago.

Augi

What year did you do your conversion on? Just curious because I have read multiple places that the 93 and earlier you have to change tanks because the 4L80 being longer causes rub and the 94 and newer A1 models have a slightly different tank. I don’t know that to be fact just what I have found from reading on here. I have ZERO personal experience with the 4L80 swap.

What did you do for a shifter? I am trying to find a 4 speed with Park that doesn’t cost 500 to 700 dollars. Any way to modify the existing one or put an aftermarket shifter in?

jpiltin

Starting my 700r4 w/241 transfer case swap this weekend. I was under the impression it would have the correct mechanical speedometer connection since it was supposed to be built for a HMMWV swap but it has the speed sensor setup. Has anyone figured a way around this, I'd like to keep the stock Speedo operation. Thanks for any info.

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk

dhaumann69166

To keep stock speedometer operation you will have to change your T case over to mechanical setup. A tranny shop should be able to get you the right parts and gear to make it all work right. 241’s were not built for the Humvee. They came in LOTS of vehicles and are available in both drivers and passenger side drop. 241 is a slightly different size also so some mods might be necessary for it to fit right. Do some searching for either 218 to 241 swaps or 208 to 241 swaps and you come up with lots of people asking the same questions.

dfioritto

Hello Retired War Horse
I am in the process of upgrading my 1991 humvee, which already has the 6.5, with the 4L80E trans.

Would it be possible to purchase the necessary harness, control module, and sensors from you?

Thanks David

1977and2010

700r4 12v source

I did a "built" 700r4 (level 2) from bowtie overdrive. I wanted to use my np242 which requires an adapter. The adapter is made by advanced adapters, but I did order it with the 700 from bowtie. With the adapter installed,the 700r4, adapter and 242 fit perfect. For the tv cable, just reuse the bracket in the valley. It is basically the same setup as with the 3 speed. Just notch 4 corners in the round hole of the bracket and the tv cable will fit perfect. From there you just have to get every mm of throttle travel you can find. (Take slack out of throttle cable and even remove insulation that limits foot pedal travel.) once you get maximum throttle range set the tv cable . At idle it should just barely have no slack and full throttle the tv cable should be at max range.

The next 700r4 I do, I will weld an extension on the foot pedal arm were the cable connects to make it easier to get max range. That would eliminate having to cut out insulation.
I just picked up one of the bowtie overdrive kits myself. Where are you getting your 12v for the brake light unlock switch. Thanks Josh

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks