• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

4 wheel steering on a deuce?anyone done it?

bigford

Thanks.
If the moderators don't mind, since this is an MV site and my truck really is not part of that group, I'll do a small thread on it. Otherwise I'll email you with the details. PM an addy and we'll go from there.

bigford

Will do on the post.
As for this thread, the rear steering thing is a lot of fun. I remember reading an article about Bigfoot and how they added the rear steering. Bob Chandler was talking to a Rockwell engineer and the engineer said that the axles (steer to drive position) were interchangable, needing only a pin to lock the arm. They never did say how that was actually done and I have not found anyone who could explain. Bob and crew made the swap and the rest is history.

treeguy

What do yall think of the pipe dream of making a deuce 4 wheels, but remove the intermediate axle, keep the rear in the same spot with your flavor of suspension and just lengthen the drive shaft? You'd probably gain a little power since your not pushing the removed axle, the turning radius may improve esp. if you get lock out hubs for the front. Then you could easily slip in the 4 wheel steering the previous guys were talking about to put the whip cream and cherry on top. The gain I also see is that you don't have to mess with cutting the frame and frigging around with a replacement body. Ya you'd loose GVWR, but that might be a trade off someone may be willing to make. Any thoughts, I have yet to see any pics or discussion about going this route (leaving the frame and body alone).

treeguy

I get the whole "not street legal with full hydro steering" thing in the state laws, but how is it that I/you/we see loaders and other hydro vehicles WITH plates driving all over kingdom come? Is there a loop hole? I know that it is imposible to understand state laws, but if you blew a steering line while running whats gonna happen? Duh, you stop just like any other malfunction. Are your wheels going to instantly flip to one side or the other?

AMX

I get the whole "not street legal with full hydro steering" thing in the state laws, but how is it that I/you/we see loaders and other hydro vehicles WITH plates driving all over kingdom come? Is there a loop hole? I know that it is imposible to understand state laws, but if you blew a steering line while running whats gonna happen? Duh, you stop just like any other malfunction. Are your wheels going to instantly flip to one side or the other?
I can tell you from equipment with hydro steering and no front wheel brakes that they turn to whichever direction they want. With brakes I would assume they will turn to that direction Much faster.

jesusgatos

What do yall think of the pipe dream of making a deuce 4 wheels, but remove the intermediate axle, keep the rear in the same spot with your flavor of suspension and just lengthen the drive shaft? You'd probably gain a little power since your not pushing the removed axle, the turning radius may improve esp. if you get lock out hubs for the front. Then you could easily slip in the 4 wheel steering the previous guys were talking about to put the whip cream and cherry on top. The gain I also see is that you don't have to mess with cutting the frame and frigging around with a replacement body. Ya you'd loose GVWR, but that might be a trade off someone may be willing to make. Any thoughts, I have yet to see any pics or discussion about going this route (leaving the frame and body alone).
Have certainly thought about it, and have seen it done (pics posted on SS somewhere), but the breakover angle sucks. That's the biggest downside I see. Payload can be somewhat mitigated by tire choice, but it is something else to consider.
Im this pic are they running lift springs? Is that possible on a deuce? There is also another company to consider Performance Off Road Systems 334-567-7229 Sean is a great guy to deal with and they can do custom kits/stuff. I plan on getting my Hydro steering stuff from him. Thanks, Jim
POS appears to be out of business. Sean got another job and doesn't have time for the hydro stuff anymore. Too bad, because he built some awesome systems.
If you do a search, you'll turn up a lot of info on this subject. Will answer all your questions.

treeguy

I talked to a company in TX I think it was, a while back (can't remember the name). They said that they make all sorts of steering and a chit load for off road buggies. They said that they could put together systems for what ever you had, for the deuce they recomended a hydro assit that uses a foot ball sized hydro unit that you cut into your steering wheel shaft. Sorry that I can't remember the name.

Jessie, yea I guess that the break over angle would be the worst part, I didn't think of that. Whats up with drive shaft lengths? Most extra cab trucks now a days use two shafts with a brace in the middle. Is there a problem if you found a company that would build you an over diameter/giant drive shaft? The problem I refer to is the long length creating whip. A lot of long box trucks also use braces with two shafts.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That is the way it goes sometimes. A very good example of why we like to have the pictures downloaded to this site and not something like photobucket where they could disappear. At least we still have the photos.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks