• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

4a032 powered air comp

Welder Sam

So. Today i bought a former military ar compressor. Colemans has one just like it with a MUCH larger price tag. I havent found what to call this thing by yet. I just lnow it has a 4 cyl a032 engine that starts on the 3rd pull but is missing the pressure switch limit arm for the carb. Runs like a top. Paint sucks of course. But hey.. itll do well for what i want.

Anyone know anything about this unit?

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have one of these. What's the fix for the float? They get fuel logged? :)
There is a few threads on the float issue. Seems it gets "logged" and shuts off the fuel. I put a new carb on mine and runs well. Just need to fix the tube from the pump to the tank, and clean out the fuel tank. It's one of those projects on the back burner, and buried in the shop, because I really don't need it at the moment.

Sam, I'll try to get those photos tomorrow.

Welder Sam

Thanks brother. Ill figure out exactly what mod i have and post it. Its not the skid type. Looks alot like yours but it has the big fuel tank. Havent had time to look it over much. It has the on/off breaker switch instead of the kill button too.

Best i can tell, it needs a shutoff valve for the air line at the tank, a pop off valve, and a belt guard bracket rewelded. Engine mfg date is 9-90. Looks pretty fresh

citizensoldier

There is a few threads on the float issue. Seems it gets "logged" and shuts off the fuel. I put a new carb on mine and runs well. Just need to fix the tube from the pump to the tank, and clean out the fuel tank. It's one of those projects on the back burner, and buried in the shop, because I really don't need it at the moment.

Sam, I'll try to get those photos tomorrow.
Well if that burner never lights I am interested. :beer:
Sam I will take some picture tomorrow of the setup on mine also. If this monsoon ever lets up! We can compare notes. The starter burnt up on mine so I quit using it. Tried to get it rebuilt and the guy had it for 2 months and said he could not get parts? Huh??? Now you tell me?? lol..

citizensoldier

Yes the starter with a slave is the way to go. Pull starting these motors can be difficult at times. Here are some pictures of the setup on mine. I had to rebuild it the compressor had been tipped over and it was all busted up. I could use some measurements for the belt guard if you have time. mine was destroyed and I need to build a new one. A guy could loose a arm if not careful. :shock:

Attachments

Welder Sam

Thats not at all what i expected. Could i talk you into emailing those to me? If i dl them theyre so small i cant see. Ill get measurements up and get a rough draft drawn and email it back. Cant post as im mobile

Welder Sam

B please. Man thats a good pic. If only i had a computer to see it on!

A is there but i dunno if it functions. It seems alot higher than yours. At what psi does it pop?

Last edited:

citizensoldier

It is adjustable using the threads on the pressure relief valve near the compressor head. Basically the other valve on the carburetor end is a plunger that idles down the carb when the other valve opens releasing pressure. The B bracket is hooked to the throttle linkage on the carb for the plunger to push on. You can adjust that up and down to set the low and high idle of the motor.
I can email you the set of pictures just need a email address..

Last edited:

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Tunnelled my way to my compressor today. (While back there I found a whole bunch of stuff I can sell to citizensoldier!)
I had not re-installed installed the "B" lever after I put the new carb on. Doesn't matter though, until I replace the tube from the pump to the tank.

Attachments

Welder Sam

Tunnelled my way to my compressor today. (While back there I found a whole bunch of stuff I can sell to citizensoldier!)
I had not re-installed installed the "B" lever after I put the new carb on. Doesn't matter though, until I replace the tube from the pump to the tank.
Welp, yours looks like mine..

Sorry fellas, i got busy and didnt have time to get to anything that i meant to. Ill give it a shot tomorrow. Im still finishing up moving and dont even have a tape here. I didnt realize that till just before dark. Need lights out back real bad!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks