• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

4l80e to np205

Nessmuk

I've got a 4wd 4L80E, and want to mount up a np205. I plan on using one from a th400 out of a cucv. Anybody know what needs to be done to the trans tail shaft and the t-case adapter?
I'm already aware of the driveshaft and shifter changes needed.
I know I need two sensors on the transmission for its computer.
I think I just need help with mounting the np205.

Obijuank5

your 205 *should* have the long input gear in the 205. then you will use a 4x4 4l80e and this spacer and the tcase and th400 205 adapter.

86m1028

It can be done a number of different ways,
I used a 2wd trans, cut a small amount off the output shaft, machined the groove in a figure 8 adapter,
also had to clearance some on the adapter to clear the pan on the 4l80e.
Used factory crossmember & poly mounts.

Really depends on what parts you start with.

Now that is finished, I have the factory 4l80e/205 setup from a 91 crew cab as a spare.

86m1028

I am wondering if there is a signal generator available, run off the speedo cable, to give an output signal to the computer.
Check out jagsthatrun.
There are a couple companies that can machine the tail housing on the 205 for the tone ring & sensor or if your lucky enough to find a 91 np205.

Nessmuk

It took 10 hours, 2 flat tires, 2 dead batteries,
1 overheat, I lost belt, 1 wrong spare belt, 2 hours in Rutland VT finding a belt to fit, and driving my 83 Plymouth Scamp in the salt that I had stored for the winter...
But, I now have a box of 91 V3500 4l80e transfer case makings. Sensor in tail shaft, round style adapter, 32 tooth input. All there, and if not, well, I have a complete nv465 case to pilfer from. The guy cut me a decent deal, $200, I know the adapter alone sells for $275 and it saves me the cost of matching for the reluctor gear.

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've got a 4wd 4L80E, and want to mount up a np205.
Another alternative, which gives you a lower Low range (in this case 3.8:1) and twin sticks, is to use an Atlas transfer case.
I put this 4L80E and Atlas 'case together a while back for a project that never happened, so it's for sale.

And if I sell that setup, then I might as well sell the built 6.5 that it was for, too.

Tried uploading photos, but failed. Sorry.

richingalveston

ORD normally sells all the different shafts for the 205 if you don't find a used one.

You can use the ORD magnum box as a spacer also. Its a great compact doubler. and it bolts to both the 205 and 4l80e with no other adaptors. It is the adaptor. Not the cheapest way to go because you also need new shifters once you double
Rich

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks