• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

4th Semi-Annual Texas MV Rally

pistolnut

Sorry to hear about the cancellation but I certainly understand. Next weekend was starting to not look so good for me either. I was really looking forward to seeing everyone and playing with the trucks though, count me in for March and I'll have my V-8 715 in the game then hopefully.

littlebob

Sorry it didn't work out, i know a few people that were looking forward to it. I wish I knew where I was going to be financially and time wise in March. I'd love to see some of the TX people again.

Awesome Possum

I just heard from Barrman and he is out for next weekend. Due to the economy, people's tightening budgets and the rate increase for the ranch, the per family total is almost $70. Because of this, I am canceling the rally for this coming weekend. The March rally on the second weekend of Spring Break will now be the next rally.
My son Badga the Badger has been the one to follow this thread about the rally, but both of us have busted our backsides bobbing our deuce, and the deadline was to be ready by the rally. Tail lights getting hooked up was all that was left for us to be able to go. An hour of work. But leave Badga out of this; he'll have a fit because I have "made waves". His Dad has no such reservations.

I PM'd nofearnohope concerning who was involved in this decision and how it was arrived at, and he responded it was discussed on the thread. I really don't see much of that being discussed. I was also told that the decision was entirely up to him.

My question is why one person is allowed to make that decision for everyone without provision being made for others to pick up the ball and make it come off after all? A lot of us have put in much effort for this rally to happen, and I'm sure others have spent quite a bit of scratch to be ready as well.

As well, with one person in charge, am I going to be blackballed next March because I have dared to speak up? Is the rally to become something that it subject to the whims of one person, or should it be something that all have a say in so that it is not cancelled inside of a week, forcing everyone to change their plans? Am I P.O.'d?

I don't care for the results of despotism here, and I'll not let it go without having my say. If nofearnohope doesn't have the resources to continue through with this, then fine. Things here are pretty slow, moneywise, and we were dipping into our savings to make it work. But we were going to go! It shouldn't mean the rest of us get the driveshaft though. We worked hard for this!

I've said my piece. Go ahead and flame away, or speak up for what is right!

Last edited:

Barrman

Jeff,
This is not meant to be a flame post. If you take it that way, then I am sorry. Here are the facts.

Lincoln on his own about 2 years ago started posting about having a gathering. Nobody volunteered a place to hold the event. Nobody offered to run the thing. Nobody offered to throw money at it. He went out on his own, found a place for us, inspected it and reserved it. Then he organized the entire event on his own.

We had our first Rally there in March of 2010. I don't remember seing you there. Some of us wanted just a single gathering a year. Lincoln wanted more.

So, we had a Rally last November that he did all the work for. I don't remember seing you there either.

He contacted the Brent Mullins people and got us invited to their show. He then organized a Rally around that show. That was just this past March. You were there and saw how much Lincoln did to make everything happen.

I think everyone who has attended a Rally will admit they wouldn't happen except for Lincoln.

We all have personal issues and have to decide where to go, what to spend money on and when to do things. I was looking forward to this Rally. Until I found out while camping with the Scouts without Colton who was at a school band event that he had through competition earned his way onto an all star band. That band will give a performance next Saturday. I am going to be at the event my son is at. I didn't really care to camp with my Scouts without him this past weekend either. But, was willing to do it again at the Rally because I thought his stuff was individual competition and not open for viewing. Parents are welcome and I will be there. Family first!

I called Lincoln last night and told him I wasn't coming and to let me know how much money I owed since I was figured in on the total average. It wasn't a money thing for me. It was I can't be in two places at once thing. I then called the other people I usually convoy with to and from the Rally. Just to let them know. One still planned to attend and one decided he was really too busy to attend as well because of family conflicts and was only still planning on going because I was still going. The one not going asked for Lincoln's phone number so he could call and offer to pay his share, but let Lincoln know that many less people were going to be there.

I advised Lincoln to call it off and just start planning for the March event. The choice was entirely his to make though and I didn't have any say in the matter. Because he is the person that has made the Rallies happen and he is the person that will make the next one happen.

Anybody can plan one. 3 people at the March Rally have planned and carried out gatherings for military vehicles in Texas, Colorado, Kentucky and Tennessee. Yet, none of us had anything to do with the Bryan/College Station Rally and setting it up. Lincoln created it and he can post pone it. He has earned that right.

Now, when it comes to getting vehicles ready for a specific event. I know of two people who have been working their tails off to get vehicles ready for this Rally. One made it and one didn't. What did the one that did loose? Nothing. He now has a vehicle that can be driven when he didn't before. He actually had it in a Veteran program for his hometown last weekend. Something not possible if he hadn't been planning to attend the Rally. The one that didn't have his truck ready now has a few more months. Nobody is loosing anything. Except a weekend spent with other trucks and truck people.

The bottom line to me Jeff is this. The Texas Rally has been all Lincoln's from start to finish. That means he can do what he wants with them. Start your own if you want. Sorry you have been planning to attend, but not everything goes as we want sometimes.

I started writting this more than an hour ago. My students have kept me from doing it very fast. I have no idea how many people have posted stuff between your 10:33 post and this. If there are other post, I haven't seen them yet so don't read anything in this post that is in those that might or might not be there.

Awesome Possum

This is in response to Barrman, and it is written with respect for him. Instead of the regular quote system, I have interspersed my responses in red, his in purple.

Lincoln on his own about 2 years ago started posting about having a gathering. Nobody volunteered a place to hold the event. Nobody offered to run the thing. Nobody offered to throw money at it. He went out on his own, found a place for us, inspected it and reserved it. Then he organized the entire event on his own.

We had our first Rally there in March of 2010. I don't remember seing you there. Some of us wanted just a single gathering a year. Lincoln wanted more.

All very noble, but you say nobody offered to help run the thing and nobody offered to "throw money at it". Turning the tables, I must ask "Where were you?" In march 2010 we had not been involved in SS, having bought our truck not much before that.

So, we had a Rally last November that he did all the work for. I don't remember seing you there either.

Again, no idea of the existence of the rally at that time.

He contacted the Brent Mullins people and got us invited to their show. He then organized a Rally around that show. That was just this past March. You were there and saw how much Lincoln did to make everything happen.

I think everyone who has attended a Rally will admit they wouldn't happen except for Lincoln.

Yes, we were there, though I personally was not made to feel very welcome at your fire. I was the new guy, so that's what I expect. We were some of the ones sitting at the second fire. My son and yours did get along quite well, though, and this was enough for me. I did make a very good friend, and also met someone who had actually met Bea Arthur. Quite a tale that was! As for my help, no one ever asked me or even gave me the opportunity to volunteer.

We all have personal issues and have to decide where to go, what to spend money on and when to do things. I was looking forward to this Rally. Until I found out while camping with the Scouts without Colton who was at a school band event that he had through competition earned his way onto an all star band. That band will give a performance next Saturday. I am going to be at the event my son is at. I didn't really care to camp with my Scouts without him this past weekend either. But, was willing to do it again at the Rally because I thought his stuff was individual competition and not open for viewing. Parents are welcome and I will be there. Family first!

Family IS first! I'm in total agreement on this. My two older children have their own agendas and do their own things. Kyle is 16 and time is dwindling for father/son stuff and this is why this whole thing is so disappointing to both of us. He just won't say it out loud. My father never spoke out for my interests and I've vowed never to do that to my son.

I called Lincoln last night and told him I wasn't coming and to let me know how much money I owed since I was figured in on the total average. It wasn't a money thing for me. It was I can't be in two places at once thing. I then called the other people I usually convoy with to and from the Rally. Just to let them know. One still planned to attend and one decided he was really too busy to attend as well because of family conflicts and was only still planning on going because I was still going. The one not going asked for Lincoln's phone number so he could call and offer to pay his share, but let Lincoln know that many less people were going to be there.

It's still a matter of making a committment to the responsibilities one has assumed. Not only to those who had committed to go, but , if you really think about it, to the place where we were having the rally. How'd you like to reserve your banquet hall for a wedding and then have the reservation cancelled 5 days before the event? And all without a deposit. No matter if this guy is a saint or something else entirely, he is going to be out the funds we were bringing in, and he's not going to be able to make the money up with 5 days notice. I don't know about him, but I'd surely not take any reservations without money up front. It's a matter of honoring the commitments you make.

I advised Lincoln to call it off and just start planning for the March event. The choice was entirely his to make though and I didn't have any say in the matter. Because he is the person that has made the Rallies happen and he is the person that will make the next one happen.

Anybody can plan one. 3 people at the March Rally have planned and carried out gatherings for military vehicles in Texas, Colorado, Kentucky and Tennessee. Yet, none of us had anything to do with the Bryan/College Station Rally and setting it up. Lincoln created it and he can post pone it. He has earned that right.

He's also earned the right to be called on it when many peoples' plans are disrupted because he postponed it. I won't be coming to any more of HIS rallies simply because I don't know if they'll actually happen, unless some kind of change is made to ensure that, barring weather, things will go down as planned.

A little bit of this does actually rest with you Barrman, and that is because of your popularity. I say this with absolutely no sarcasm whatsoever. Our boys get along great, and my son thinks the world of you, and that's good enough for me. But I will quote you from above: "I advised Lincoln to call it off and just start planning for the March event." Lincoln may be the organizer, but you are the glue that holds the thing together. Again I must emphasize that there is no sarcasm in the statement.

Now, when it comes to getting vehicles ready for a specific event. I know of two people who have been working their tails off to get vehicles ready for this Rally. One made it and one didn't. What did the one that did loose? Nothing. He now has a vehicle that can be driven when he didn't before. He actually had it in a Veteran program for his hometown last weekend. Something not possible if he hadn't been planning to attend the Rally. The one that didn't have his truck ready now has a few more months. Nobody is loosing anything. Except a weekend spent with other trucks and truck people.

Actually I did lose something, and that was healing time on a bad Lateral Epicondolitis (tennis elbow) injury. Yeah, I chose to do it, but there are things we do for our kids that aren't always the best choice. Only added this because you wrote that nothing was lost. My bad! (Is that what the kids say?)

The bottom line to me Jeff is this. The Texas Rally has been all Lincoln's from start to finish. That means he can do what he wants with them. Start your own if you want. Sorry you have been planning to attend, but not everything goes as we want sometimes.

No, I won't be starting my own anytime soon. As for that last sentence above, please spare me the parental platitudes. I'm a dad too, remember?

I started writting this more than an hour ago. My students have kept me from doing it very fast. I have no idea how many people have posted stuff between your 10:33 post and this. If there are other post, I haven't seen them yet so don't read anything in this post that is in those that might or might not be there.

Same here, but I started at 3 PM when I saw your response. I did have to have my say, and have always been good at burning bridges. Guess I burned the piers right down to the waterline, huh? Sometimes a man has to speak up, and lacking a grand quest to go on, I guess this is it.

runk

Lessons learned

I have been to all three of the rallys, and truly appreciate the work Lincoln puts into them. When I had more time I was very involved in several of the regional meets our Triumph car club puts on every few years, and know how much time it took as just one member on the committee. I have been reluctant to offer much in the way of advice or criticism, simply because I do not have the time to help implement any of my suggestions.

On the other side, I also have a disappointed son. While he is only 10, we have always had rather different approaches to life, and I can see the coming storm in our relationship. (While my Dad gently laughs at me, since we eventually resolved our differences with no permanent harm done...) These rallys are among the few long activities we both enjoy. To try and make up a little for that, I am going to make it a point this weekend to stay away from the projects and work that usually consume my time, and do some of the other things my son and I can enjoy together. Play some video games, watch some TV (maybe he is ready for Monty Python ?), and hopefully find time to go target shooting.

Rather then additional recriminations, I am far more interested in member's suggestions on how we go about avoiding having another rally canceled, or die out all together. It was great reading the post Georgia rally thread, where most of the issues dealt with having lots of people and too much to do !

I'll start with one-
My biggest issue with all three rallies was our failure to turn the dozens of enthusiastic initial replies into actual attendance. This was not as big a deal when the park was so cheap, but now we need a reasonable attendance to keep reasonable prices. We need ways to make this rally a higher priority, with members willing to actively reserve the weekend over work, other friends and activities, and plan-able family events.

Hopefully some of you can offer some carrots, but my suggestion is more of a stick-

Get money upfront.

There are lots of ways we could do this, here are a couple:
- Set a fee that covers the weekend expenses with a certain number of participants, and refund it and cancel the rally if not enough people pay by a deadline (at least a month in advance ?). After the rally is confirmed, no refunds. Raise the fee for post deadline registration, raise it more for registration at the rally. Spend excess on the rally (pay for lunch, buy fuel, etc.) or refund it after.
- Ask for donations, don't commit to the rally until the basic costs are paid for. If it takes 2 years to build a big enough fund, we only have a rally every two years.

Of course now there is even more work for the rally organizer, so I guess I'll volunteer to act as a treasurer if necessary...

I like to set a ground rule, if you raise an issue, make a suggestion !

Let hear from everyone !!:beer:

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thank you Runk.

Although I was, early on, unable to even consider attending this RALLY due to prior commitments I have been following this thread from the git-go. Even though DISTANCE for this event may have been "stretching it" for our first rally, I believe that it could have been a wonderful experience.

I agree, it IS time to move on and learn from these experiences in order to increase the potential for success with future endeavors.

One thing that I'd like to modify from Runk's suggestions is the sense that REFUNDS are appropriate.
=IF Runk's suggested predetermined fee is a valid estimate of the cost coverage, there should be minimal, if any, excess funds collected.
=IF there are residual funds, why not keep it in a reserve fund as SEED MONEY for the next event?
=IF folks percieve that there is VALUE in the ADMISSION FEE, and that the organizers are indeed interested in perpetuating SUCCESSFUL EVENTS, then many more would be ready and willing to sign-on early in the process.
=IF there is an unlikely cancellation of the event, FIRST encourage "RAIN CHECKS" for the rescheduled or next-scheduled event, with the possiblity of a REFUND being only secondary to the fundamental belief that they, as participants, are now SUBSCRIBERS to an ongoing INSTITUTION instead of a one-time "party".
=IF a budget is determined for the event with certain attendance threshholds (10 attendees, 20 attendees, etc) thean a reasonable cost/fee schedule could be set. Should the attendance exceed expectations, don't promise refunds, but have a wish-list of additional activites, facilities, food-upgrades, maybe even trophies/prizes/etc could be added to the benefits of attendance.

These are all proven successful Group Activity organizational strategies.

The first step toward success can be borrowed from the performing arts.....

THE SHOW MUST GO ON !
...But it begins with planning, including financial plans, for SUCCESS.

2cents
John

Last edited:

Awesome Possum

Runk, USAFSS,
This is exactly what I am talking about! We have to be able to get people to commit to something in a way that it's not so easy to bail on, to protect the funds that come in (already inquiring about this one), and to make a deal with someplace that is fair and doable. I will volunteer with a team to consult with, so that if one of us gets run over by a bus, THE SHOW WILL GO ON! I am available to help. I'm very good at working on the phone and the computer to make things happen. (I sell used batteries over the net and the phone, if that gives you any idea.) I also have the time. Everyone needs to be involved as to what we'd want to do, when, and most importantly, where. I won't make all the decisions for everyone, but let's reach some sort of concensus and I'll get to work.

I've picked up the gauntlet. What's next?

OL AG '89

WTH!!!!!
I've busted my tail for the past several months getting all my CR*P done so I could come up and play!!!
At the very least a PM to all that have subscribed to the thread would of been appreciated!!!

How many are willing to go to this thing this weekend?

If not there, I know that Gen Sam's would let us hang out, not sure of the cost, but we wouldn't be renting the entire park...

Who's with me???

Last edited:

nofearnohope

Before I respond to ap’s hissy fit/temper tantrum and everyone else who has a problem with the way I have handled this rally. I would like to sincerely thank everyone who has attended each rally which is what helped make them the successes they were. I enjoyed every part of planning, scheduling, arranging, organizing and pulling off each one of them.
Having said that, please pay VERY close attention the “I” portion of planning, scheduling, arranging, organizing and pulling off each event. I got several pointers from Barrman and one or two others. Beyond that, this was entirely my effort to make every one of these events happen. If I'd known the secret to getting others to volunteer or offer to help was to cancel a rally, I may have considered it prior to this.
I'd like to remind everyone that I've asked for planning help, deposits, feedback & nearly everything else suggested on this thread. Everyone has been happy to let me do it all until it didn't go your way- I would have welcomed a sharing of the load. However, this is "my baby" - I made the effort when no one else would bother and I really don't appreciate the rudeness of some of the comments. Or, frankly, the "suggestions" made 2 years after the start, when I've asked all along, after EVERY rally, for feedback.
For all of you whining about putting time into being able to attend these rallies, I have put all that time in of making sure everything is set up so all you have to do is just show up. I have personally laid out almost $3000 of my own money to rent the off road ranch, the room at the BBQ restaurant, the fee for having the sheriffs at each event, the t-shirts and the banner. You all complain that I have cancelled this rally and no one else had a say in it.
No one seems to have a problem if they are the one to back out of coming to the rally after they have signed up and the fee has been set based on their attendance. Yet I get stuck with their portion of that fee. Please don’t say anything about well you never asked for it. Basic math states that if X number of people sign up and the event costs Y dollars and the per person fee is Z, then if anything less than X number of people show up, the rest of that money has to come from somewhere.
I have over $100 worth of t-shirts people ordered, but never paid for sitting at my house. Do you hear me complaining on this board about broken promises, making rude comments, or posting when I am going to get PAID! No because I accept the fact that things don’t always go as planned.
AP this last paragraph is for you! You whined like a little girl about your measly $25 after the last rally, but didn’t have the common courtesy to email, call or PM to inquire about your shirts or if there was anything you could do to help get them, but you were sure ready to try and blast me all over the forums about my “complete lack of response” to your ONE PM sent asking about them. I want there to be no mistake, YOU ARE NOT WELCOME TO ANY MORE EVENTS I AM INVOLVED IN THE PLANNING OF!!! By your own admission, you are not willing to do anything to help, but are sure the first to start complaining when something doesn’t go your way.
How about accept the fact that the one man show could not pull it off this time. Maybe instead of complaining you all could have simply asked if how you could help.
At the very least a PM to all that have subscribed to the thread would of been appreciated!!!
OL AG, my only suggestion to this is to have you learn how to set your notifications for new posts on a subscribed thread.

Last edited:

Barrman

I spent my entire lunch hour writting a post for this thread. The storm rolled through and the power went out. Lost it. Let me just put it simply.

I have attended 14 National and State level military truck gatherings since 2004. Be them FE's or Rally's. Some where pre pay, some where take care of yourself, some were a combination. Everyone of them had a few things in common:

1 person was the driving force behind it.
People always dropped out at the last minute
30% of the people that say they will show up when the event is announced is about all that ever actually show up.
Somebody always has a better way to do it.

I personally planned a M715 gathering in 2005 in Gilmer at the off road park. 30 people and 18 trucks were pledged to be there at one point. We got 5 adults and 3 trucks. I thought it was me. Something I had done to drive everybody away. That was only my second event. First one I planned though. I have planned 2 national M715 gatherings since then and had a part in planning some state level things. I have also watched events I had nothing to do with have the same kind of problems listed above. It wasn't just me.

I have had to change my mental process for attending or planning these events. "I am going on a trip/drive/vacation. If I am the only person that shows up, who cares I will still have fun and be glad I am there."

If my deciding that I wouldn't have fun or more accurately. Want to be somewhere else this weekend than at the Rally dominoed into all this fighting. Then I am truely sorry to all and apologize.

I think people are going to show up at the Brent Mullins show in March. No matter what we do as far as a Rally goes. National vendors show up and it is the only MV show within 500 miles for most of us on a yearly basis. I think we need to get this behind us and start planning the March event.

nofearnohope

If my deciding that I wouldn't have fun or more accurately, Want to be somewhere else this weekend than at the Rally dominoed into all this fighting. Then I am truely sorry to all and apologize.

I think people are going to show up at the Brent Mullins show in March. No matter what we do as far as a Rally goes. National vendors show up and it is the only MV show within 500 miles for most of us on a yearly basis. I think we need to get this behind us and start planning the March event.
Tim, your decision should not have started all this. The decision was mine, and like the planning, mine alone.

For any who are interested, I have started the thread for the March Rally.
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/mo-ok-...-texas-military-vehicle-rally.html#post985847

Awesome Possum

I agree with what Barrman wrote about in his last post: I think we need to get this behind us and start planning the March event.

But things being the way they are, I must respond to nofearnohope's "hissy fit/temper tantrum" statement/rant.. I'll do it the same way I did responding to Barrman. I'll be in the red corner, nofearnohope will be in the Black Corner. In the old days this would be settled on the Field of Honor like in the movies. Now we have words. Really a lot better, yes?

Before I respond to ap’s hissy fit/temper tantrum and everyone else who has a problem with the way I have handled this rally. I would like to sincerely thank everyone who has attended each rally which is what helped make them the successes they were. I enjoyed every part of planning, scheduling, arranging, organizing and pulling off each one of them.
There seems to be a bit of a control problem here. The ability to ask directly for help, the willingness to delegate responsibilities to others, and most importantly the ability to say "Hey, I need help!" seem to be missing. I, myself have a brother in the printing business who would probably have made that banner for free. Having not been subscribed to this thread, I wouldn't have seen it, but my son would have. Did you ask for any help with this? If so I'm sorry that we missed it. I am sorry for not having subscribed to this thread so I could have seen the requests, instead of relying on Badga (whose computer had died over at his mom's house).
Sorry that this rally went into the dumper. A lot of people were looking forward to it.
Having said that, please pay VERY close attention the “I” portion of planning, scheduling, arranging, organizing and pulling off each event. I got several pointers from Barrman and one or two others. Beyond that, this was entirely my effort to make every one of these events happen. If I'd known the secret to getting others to volunteer or offer to help was to cancel a rally, I may have considered it prior to this.
There's an awful lot of "I" statements here. I did this, I did that. The trick to doing something like this for others when they refuse to help is to actually use an "I" statement, as in "I refuse to go any further if I don't get some help." And then follow it up by NOT doing anything further. I'm guessing you never read Atlas Shrugged. Long book, but has been extraordinarily influential for something like 50 years. Simply put, you should have gone on strike.
I'd like to remind everyone that I've asked for planning help, deposits, feedback & nearly everything else suggested on this thread. Everyone has been happy to let me do it all until it didn't go your way- I would have welcomed a sharing of the load. However, this is "my baby" - I made the effort when no one else would bother and I really don't appreciate the rudeness of some of the comments. Or, frankly, the "suggestions" made 2 years after the start, when I've asked all along, after EVERY rally, for feedback.
I've been taking these one paragraph at a time. but I see now there is a bit of repetition, so "See above red paragraph." Especially the part about going on strike. I really don't wish to see you harmed, and there really is nothing like the emotional rewards of a job well done. Me and Badga actually drove our bobber just this past Sunday and we were thrilled with the results. But I couldn't have done it without Badga, and we couldn't have done it without the help of some special people here on SS (and a friend/mechanic). And it still gives us that feeling of accomplishment even with that help.
My original intention in writing this was to verbally skewer you, at least for the name-calling. As I'm writing this I see some of myself in what you went through. Not pity, but empathy. Of course you've banned me for life from any of your events. I did just skip to the bottom and you'd actually wrote: YOU ARE NOT WELCOME TO ANY MORE EVENTS I AM INVOLVED IN THE PLANNING OF!!! (Well, there goes the empathy thing.) I wonder how everyone else feels about you usurping their power as to who and who not to invite? If Lincoln doesn't get to be pitcher he'll take his ball home? Is this Lincoln's Club and no one elses?
(This next paragraph I'll have to break up so that I can answer.)
For all of you whining about putting time into being able to attend these rallies, I have put all that time in of making sure everything is set up so all you have to do is just show up.
The rally is not a wedding and you're not the caterer. Get the money up front, and send it back if not enough people pay in advance. If you'd asked for my money up front, it would have been sent to you. It's Pay to Play. You can't even pump your gas without paying for it first.
I have personally laid out almost $3000 of my own money to rent the off road ranch, the room at the BBQ restaurant, the fee for having the sheriffs at each event, the t-shirts and the banner.
That's a lot of money. After the first loss I'd've said "No more!" Actually I would have said this before incurring this kind of loss. I certainly don't have that kind of money, or I wouldn't be playing with used army trucks. As for the restaurant, I've never heard of one which charges for the room, but only for the food, and I grew up in the restaurant business.
As for the Sheriffs, I thought they did this as a public service. We could have done fine without them. All we needed was one mama duck who knew where he (she?) was going and all the ducklings would've followed.
You all complain that I have cancelled this rally and no one else had a say in it.
It seems that only a select few were consulted. If you want this rally to grow you have to involve others in the decision, and others need to be able to pick up the completion of the rally in case you got hit by a Russian satelite. Otherwise it's just Lincoln's Clubhouse. And banning someone for speaking his mind, in an orderly fashion, doesn't feel like it's condemned in the rules, or at least spirit, of Steel Soldiers.
No one seems to have a problem if they are the one to back out of coming to the rally after they have signed up and the fee has been set based on their attendance. Yet I get stuck with their portion of that fee.
Did you ask for the money? Did you call it off when they didn't? Did I not show up when I said I would and paid you?
Please don’t say anything about well you never asked for it. Basic math states that if X number of people sign up and the event costs Y dollars and the per person fee is Z, then if anything less than X number of people show up, the rest of that money has to come from somewhere.
You never asked for it, and you committed to paying BVORR before you had the money. Never make nachos at 7-11 unless you have the money in your pocket to pay, especially when you grabbed a Super Big Gulp while you were at it.
I have over $100 worth of t-shirts people ordered, but never paid for sitting at my house.
How about it guys? Buy the shirts, they're real nice. I would but Lincoln doesn't like me.
Do you hear me complaining on this board about broken promises, making rude comments, or posting when I am going to get PAID! No because I accept the fact that things don’t always go as planned.
I have a little motto that I live by: Never risk more money than you are able to lose.
AP this last paragraph is for you! You whined like a little girl about your measly $25 after the last rally, but didn’t have the common courtesy to email, call or PM to inquire about your shirts or if there was anything you could do to help get them, but you were sure ready to try and blast me all over the forums about my “complete lack of response” to your ONE PM sent asking about them.
OK, NOW we've got some real whining. I challenge you to find ANYTHING where I wrote about the T-shirts. Me and Badga made several PM's to you and received no response. If you'd answered that you were having some problems with it, I'd have said "No problem, just let me know when they're ready." You only responded when I put a little "attitude" in it. It's not whether a person or a business has a problem, it's how they handle it.
I want there to be no mistake, YOU ARE NOT WELCOME TO ANY MORE EVENTS I AM INVOLVED IN THE PLANNING OF!!! By your own admission, you are not willing to do anything to help, but are sure the first to start complaining when something doesn’t go your way.
Why don't you look at my previous post where I did, in fact, volunteer. I don't make decisions for others unilaterally, but I'm real good at arranging things, letting the decision makers point out what they want done. Not blindly, mind you, but I CAN play well with others. As long as they're not playing Tinpot Dictator at the moment.
How about accept the fact that the one man show could not pull it off this time. Maybe instead of complaining you all could have simply asked if how you could help.
How about the one man show stop being the one man show long enough to say "I ain't doing it alone!"

OL AG, my only suggestion to this is to have you learn how to set your notifications for new posts on a subscribed thread.

Awesome Possum

Too bad we're not off-roading this morning. Hot dogs and burnt marshmallows would have been good last night, too! It's really sad that I was the only one to call others out for this fiasco. Of course, you'd have been kicked out of the 5th Semi-Annual Texas MV Rally too.

Any others out there who pushed their finances out of whack in order to make it on time? Christmas is going to be tough for having pushed the envelope in order to be ready. Any of you feel that kind of pinch too? How about just plain annoyed for having been taken on this incomplete ride, having had the carpet yanked out from under you at the last minute?

I will be going to Hidden Falls Hidden Falls Adventure Park - Marble Falls, Texas over Christmas break, and probably sometime in March as well. I'm told it's a neat place and the website shows a ton of stuff to do there, including 6 levels of off-roading trails. There will be no paying in advance, no hats, t-shirts, coffee mugs, and not a single commemorative Franklin Mint Plate to honor anyone who's given everything to make the whole thing happens. It's a bit pricey, but you know that when you show up it will be there, and if you don't show up, that nobody else will have to pay your share. Consider it a "non-rally", with no ones ego riding on it, and no one calls all the shots.

If anyone else wants to come you can PM me about dates, complain about things, or even answer the one question that has been confounding me: How can you have a 5th Semi-Annual Texas MV Rally when you didn't have a 4th Semi-Annual Texas MV Rally?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks