• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

4x4 CUCV Preparations

TCUCV

Well I just received my lift kit and I would definitely need new u bolts to fit . . . thanks for the link to WFO.

Luckily I have a forklift and I'll be posting some pictures of the truck flexed out . . . thanks for all the comments now just waiting on tires and new ubolts:beer:

just to clarify, you guys are running the 3/4ton lift kit? i was under the impression that due to width and length of the springs on a 5/4ton, that the 3/4ton kit wouldnt work. is this incorrect? if so, that will make it alot cheaper when i lift my M1010 if i can go with the 3/4ton kit... any info is appreciated !!

TCUCV

just to clarify, you guys are running the 3/4ton lift kit? i was under the impression that due to width and length of the springs on a 5/4ton, that the 3/4ton kit wouldnt work. is this incorrect? if so, that will make it alot cheaper when i lift my M1010 if i can go with the 3/4ton kit... any info is appreciated !!
Not sure but I've already got my lift so I'll let you know . . .

Cucvnut

it does not matter all front springs are the same length unless you go with longer front spring like a 52. i am running 2.5 inch wide springs in the front.

mrcucv

I really enjoy this thread. I think either next I am getting a Willys pickup to go offroading in or a m1008. I originally wanted a m1008, but hey I got my wagon for free

colelkhunter

thanks Sarge. i have put a lot of work into it. The bed came about by accident really. My truck is a 1031 so it came with a utlity bed (contact maint.) I didn't really like that and had some M101a2's so I got to work. The bed was very easy to install on the truck. Lined up with the frame and wheel well perfectly. just had to drill 6 holes in the trailer bed and bolt it to the frame. Tail lights came off the 101 trailer as well. Just installed 12v bulbs in them and hooked 'em up. got to get the tint on the windows and the winch on it and it will be finished on the outside. Then a new dash pad and seat cover will finish it. i drive it everyday and love it like a child. Go anywhere you point it with the super swampers on it. it rides great because it has no lift on it. Took a little doing to balance the 37's but now it drives and rides like a brand new truck.

jooakes

What offset are you using for your rims? Will the stock 3 3/4" offset work or should I be looking for new rims. I'm trying to put 35" tires without a lift I like the look of the full wheel well. no rock climbing just mud and snow.:?:

TCUCV

Well I finally managed to get my lift on!!! My dad and I put the front on Tuesday afternoon and a buddy and me put the rear on last night :beer:

I was going to re-use my rear ubolts but wasn't able to due to rust so I had to use advance auto parts ubolts for the meantime. They are grade 8 but not for heavy duty vehicles. I'm sad I had to do this but its my daily driver and I can't let this thing sit. I'm getting a new set made today locally and will be putting them on tomorrow! Here are a couple of pictures of the truck...I'll explain my experience in the next post

Attachments

TCUCV

So I decided to use the 12 bolt hummer wheels I picked up along with a set of 36x12.50 tires used from Birgtires in Fayetville. Man do they pull in every direction!!! I also am using 2" spacers behind these wheels b/c they definitely wouldn't fit by themselves. Im still waiting on my swaybar correction/disconect from offroad design(should be here next week). Oh yea this is a 4" Rough Country 3/4 ton lift kit...I highly recommend get extended front and rear brake lines unless you want to bend your front hardlines down(which I did:() & cutting the bracket on the rear(like I did:(). Also I had to grind down the sleeves for the front shocks they included in their "universal" bushing kit.

You will definitely need a swaybar drop bracket(not the one from Rough Country) b/c theirs does not fit according to them. I ran into a littel problem in the rear as well b/c my passenger side rear shock mount on the axle has be bent some how and I had to put my shock boot side down. Not that big of a deal but would have preferred boot side up.

I can definitely get up to higher speeds but haven't had a chance to test the full potential...the tires are a little loud but they do smooth out with speed. I had a shop here locally balance them with a bag of little beads...seems to be doing the trick. I only am confused about one thing though...WHAT IS EVERYONE DOING ABOUT THE REAR EMERGENCY BRAKE LINE??? Mine is pretty tight and right next to the rear driver side spring...any advice would be great. Thanks,

* More pictures to come after this weekend...

Attachments

Cucvnut

Flip your rear u bolts WFO sells a u bolt flip kit it will save you time a.d money if you ever go wheeling they are to long the way you have them now. They are just asking to get caught on some thing. The truck looks good.

steved454

Great truck love the pics!

I went with a 4 1/2 spring lift, took it to a local spring shop that has lifted several cucv's in that past. Had to get a pitman arm and shocks.
just put on procomp 16.5 x 8.25 inch wheels with 37 inch H1 tires.

Attachments

TCUCV

CUCV ~ I'm definitely taking those wack a$$ u bolts off . . . going to pick up some new stock ones today. Putting them on tonight or tomorrow, cant wait to get my swaybar in to be completely done!

Thanks steve looks like you have a nice ride yourself there

My rear springs really close to my exhaust as well, so I think I might be cutting that down next week. I'm going wheeling at Uwharrie National park on the 16th so I have to get this thing ready...

Last edited: