• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

4x4 CUCV Preparations

TCUCV

Well I managed to actually get out and test my truck this past weekend, here are a few pictures that I managed to get with cell phones. I did have a buddy taking some video and pictures from a camera just waiting to get those from him. Here are a couple of pictures in the mean time...

The first picture I didn't have the balls to finish driving thru the hole being this is my daily driver. second picture climbing over a little hill, third picture is a mud hole I was entering and last picture I'm pulling a buddy out with 3 tow straps!!! To much fun . . . I tried with just one, but made those ruts you see in the picture

Attachments

TCUCV

More Picutres from Carolina Backwoods

First picture my buddy was stuck at the end of a mud hole and I had to get on the hood and toss him the tow rope, good fun!! 2 photo was a hill I would say is atleast 12 ft high , and then me crawling up!!!! Hoping to get more photos and footage soon

Attachments

Last edited:

prairie

What offset are you using for your rims? Will the stock 3 3/4" offset work or should I be looking for new rims. I'm trying to put 35" tires without a lift I like the look of the full wheel well. no rock climbing just mud and snow.:?:
I'm running 315/70/17 (34.7") tires on ProComp black steelies, with 2" of lift, and fender trimmimg . Seems just right to me, would definately not want a 4" lift with 35's.
The lift was fairly cheap and easy, 1" Zero Rates with the front axle moved 1" forward and 1" body lift. Would maybe move the axle forward 1 1/2" if I had to do it over again.

TCUCV

I'm running 315/70/17 (34.7") tires on ProComp black steelies, with 2" of lift, and fender trimmimg . Seems just right to me, would definately not want a 4" lift with 35's.
The lift was fairly cheap and easy, 1" Zero Rates with the front axle moved 1" forward and 1" body lift. Would maybe move the axle forward 1 1/2" if I had to do it over again.
Why wouldn't you want to put a 4" lift on? Its about perfect for off road but still suitable for everyday use. 2cents

rnd-motorsports

TCUCV Truck looks really good! [thumbzup] Nice job Looks like a couple of nice wheeling spots :drool: you have makes me want to load up my 66 gmc and come play! Buddy's went playing in the mud Saturday but I had costumers I had told I would work on there stuff so couldn't go aua the only good thing is my truck stayed clean!

TenGAUGE

I can't wait till I get a CUCV. You guys make me want one so bad. A friend of mine bought one on Saturday and me and another friend found some later on that day and now we are itching really bad after driving his around for a couple hours. There will lots of mods on all 3 that we purchase. I enjoyed your thread. Keep them coming.[thumbzup]

True Knight

Good to see you got your lift done and you are out there having fun! These trucks seem to be able to crawl up anything! I went out this weekend and helped recover a guy who flipped his razor on the side of a mountain of loose, sharp rocks. It's great hearing people say "I can't believe a truck that big can get way up there!"

TCUCV

HAHAHA, I know what you mean . . . in the video that was the first crawl. On my second pass I went as slow as I could up the hill and the M1008 never let me down. Nobody could believe I would just crawl right up that thing

TCUCV and Knight, you both have great rides! and i agree fully on the crawling abilities. my M1010 surprised me, and amazed the people that watched with how easy it not only creeps up hills, but also how i can put it it 4low, and first gear, and rarely hit the brakes coming down. i never would have imagined an ambulance that size would do so well offroad, and ive been wheeling almost 20yrs!! in my pics is a shot f it sitting on a hilltop in southern ohio. wish i had vids, or even pics to show the trail we had to take to get it there. thats why i tell people all the time "If I can fit it there, I can get it there"... and its still stock with crappy Trails Edge tires... cant wait till i get it lifted and some good meats on it! gotta love 4.56's and a Detroit!!

TCUCV

Big thanks to S.S. for helping me with all the info about lifting and keeping my M1008 running . . . I'm going to be heading to Uwharrie National Forest May 13-15. Can't wait to get pictures and video, I definitely will be posting up when I get back.

IROC99

Pics would be appreciated alot as I am considering the lift myself or bigger tires. I put 33s on with no lift of course. Work pretty good but I like the idea of the Hmmv tires.

TCUCV

Uwharrie Trip 2011

Well I finally took the M1008 out on a 7 hour round trip off road experience...what a blast!! I had to take it easy considering it was only my second time actually pushing the limits on the truck. I think we all under estimate these trucks :lol:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8WrVZcRREg&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL[/media]

Watch the cooler at the end towards the end of the video, about lost our beer...

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zd6ngukr_98&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL[/media]

TCUCV

More Videos

Here is me actually accomplishing the ledge . . . it started raining right after I made it up this ledge. And if anyone knows anything about red clay then you know how slippery it is...I ended up sliding into a tree up the trail. No big deal b/c it was on the same fender that is already messed up. What a blast, planning on going back at the end of October is anyone else is near by, I think there is destruction derby at Uwharrie Stables that week :jumpin:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFQdEkAQxBU&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8R4dc-SeQck&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL

TCUCV

I wish I had a locker up front. On my second post I managed to crawl right up the ledge so I was pleased with that. This is nothing compared to Alaska I imagine, hoping one day to visit up there